iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Navigation, Routes & Roads (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Dayton, OH to Ft. Myers, FL - thoughts on route and stops, please (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/dayton-oh-to-ft-myers-fl-thoughts-on-route-and-stops-please-468477.html)

NXR 11-09-2019 08:53 PM

Dayton, OH to Ft. Myers, FL - thoughts on route and stops, please

38' Class A with a car on a dolly for a total of 58', two adults and two dogs.

Until we get into Ft. Myers they probably will just be overnight in-and-out stays but I welcome other opinions on doing this.

Leaving December 2nd:

- Starting in Dayton, OH

- via I-75 to Clinton/Knoxville North KOA in Clinton, TN

- via I-75 to Cartersville/Cassville-White KOA in Cartersville, GA (Atlanta is roughly an hour south of here)

- via I-75, I-285 around Atlanta on a Wednesday and back to I-75 to Cordelle KOA in Cordelle, GA

- via I-75 to Ocala Sun RV Resort in Ocala, FL

- via I-75 to somewhere around Ft. Myers, as yet undetermined

This will be our first long trip in the Class A and our first snowbirding year so all suggestions, thoughts and comments, no matter how brutal, will be read and probably appreciated. :)

We already have reservations for Jan. Feb. and March, just not December. We'll make the KOA and other reservations probably tomorrow. We want to keep it to three to five hours driving each day at the most .

Thanks,

Ray

hamm2018 11-09-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NXR (Post 5031789)

Until we get into Ft. Myers they probably will just be overnight in-and-out stays but I welcome other opinions on doing this.

Leaving December 2nd:

- Starting in Dayton, OH

- via I-75 to Cartersville/Cassville-White KOA in Cartersville, GA (Atlanta is roughly an hour south of here)

- via I-75, I-285 around Atlanta on a Wednesday and back to I-75 to Cordelle KOA in Cordelle, GA

This will be our first long trip in the Class A and our first snowbirding year so all suggestions, thoughts and comments, no matter how brutal, will be read and probably appreciated. :)

We already have reservations for Jan. Feb. and March, just not December. We'll make the KOA and other reservations probably tomorrow. We want to keep it to three to five hours driving each day at the most .

Thanks,

Ray

We go down 75 a couple times a year to Pigeon Forge. The Clinton KOA is a good stop did that stop last year going to Mobile/Pensacola. This year we are now in Monmouth Cave and tomorrow will be in Chattanooga at Lookout Mtn. KOA. Then we leave there and stop at Forsyth Ga for 2 nights on I-75.

What I would suggest is use RVTrip Wizard, we are and it helps planning the trip. Plus I would suggest staying a couple of nights at least 1/2 way down to rest some.
Leaving December 2nd I would keep an eye on the weather, because right now the normal low here at Monmouth Cave should be around 45 but that was the high yesterday here.

NXR 11-09-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamm2018 (Post 5031812)
We go down 75 a couple times a year to Pigeon Forge. The Clinton KOA is a good stop did that stop last year going to Mobile/Pensacola. This year we are now in Monmouth Cave and tomorrow will be in Chattanooga at Lookout Mtn. KOA. Then we leave there and stop at Forsyth Ga for 2 nights on I-75.

What I would suggest is use RVTrip Wizard, we are and it helps planning the trip. Plus I would suggest staying a couple of nights at least 1/2 way down to rest some.

Leaving December 2nd I would keep an eye on the weather, because right now the normal low here at Monmouth Cave should be around 45 but that was the high yesterday here.

Thanks for the quick reply. We did use RVTW to select that route. It wanted us to jump over to I-40 east but my DW wants to take I-75 all the way down.

I'd like to stay a few nights in the middle as well and that will depend on the local weather. Yup, it's been colder than normal in NE Ohio as well. As long as we don't hit any snowstorms I'll be OK with the cold. :)

Do you normally make reservations enroute? We have friends locally that say they never do when headed to FL this time of year.

Ray

HJLowell 11-09-2019 09:55 PM

Hamm2018 gave you good advice

Your trip plan sounds good.

You will tweek it over the years.

We drove from tipp city troy area to Ocala and Hudson Florida for 30 some years way back.

Now to Palm Coast, Hastings area. The past ten, twelve year's.

Each trip is an adventure

You have planned well.
Lighten up and go with the flow.
Is my moto. I am preaching to myself
Now [emoji6][emoji106][emoji41]

Have fun

denverh 11-10-2019 09:42 AM

We’re coming out of southern nj and do snowbird trip every year. For overnight stops we use Walmart and Cracker Barrel. Cracker barrel co policy is to let rvs park overnight and since they have staff on overnight they check on you. Lots of them going south. Good food, gf loves the store and does her exercise walking the parking lot. They have designated rv/bus parking.

SailorSam 11-10-2019 10:08 AM

I've decided hat I'm not going to go thru Atlanta. As many have stated, traffic can be horrible on both 75 or the bypasses.

I've posted the following before. Since you picked a couple of KOA's, I looked at where they are and compared to my route. You could easily modify the route to use those two parks...

Last March, I made the trip down from Michigan. I wanted to avoid Atlanta - easy times didn't fit my schedule. This is how I avoided Atlanta - roads were very good, had to go thru 3 smaller towns but had no issues in them. Much of the ride was 65 mph on 4 lane divided roads (2 lanes each way). Often, there wasn't another car a block ahead or behind me - very light traffic.
I-75 to 140 near Adairsville (spent the night at Harvest Moon RV park). 140 to Hwy 153 thru Rome. Pick up 411/US 27. US 27 to I-185 just past LaGrange. I-185 to US 280 just past Columbus. US 280 to GA 520 in Richland. 520 to US 82 in Dawson. US 82 to I-75 at Tifton.

FWIW, for the last section, I took US 82 to US 19 to GA 133, GA 133 becomes US 319 to GA 37 because I wanted to spend the night at Reed Bingham State Park which was a nice spot. GA 37 was the only section of road that wasn't extremely good, just ok. Reed Bingham was about 300 miles from Harvest Moon, which is my daily distance. RB had large flat sites, we had one of many pull thru sites.

If I head for Florida again, I will take this same route. Bottom line, it is a relaxed, easy route. The small towns I hit were all mid-day and easily transited. I saw lots of RV friendly gas stations along the route.

Fanukalum 11-10-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NXR (Post 5031789)

Leaving December 2nd:

- Starting in Dayton, OH

Thanks,

Ray

Made the trip thru that route many many times, You have made a good plan. My only suggestion would be going thru Atlanta, try to time it between 11:00 and 2:00 and just stay on I-75. The bypass is full of pot holes and truckers . It is not that bad going straight thru just be patient and stay at the speed limit or less and make your lane changes early.

Big Dude 11-10-2019 02:45 PM

I think your plan sounds fine and I always go right thru Atlanta - since it's about 4 hours from Knoxville, you will hit it at a good time. I know others will pooh-pooh this but since I drive 62 in a 55 mph speed zone, I use the HOV lane thru Atlanta and have yet to find anything restricting RVs

cavie 11-10-2019 02:54 PM

I do 441 around Atlanta and back to 75 at Macon. Nice ride.

Ray,IN 11-10-2019 10:04 PM

Over-night stops depend on your driving style and your beginning point. Others have offered many suggestions.
I wll address your last stop prior to arriving in Ft. Myers. Driving I 75 S. at the intersetion with Daniels Parkway, there is Lee county rest area at the N.E. corner of the interchange. I has the usual auto parking area, a truck parking area and separate RV parking area (intersection of Daniels Parkway and Goldenwood Dr.)

Use Google maps to see what I'm trying to describe. We have over-nighted there in years past. It means arriving at your destination next day is a breeze.

I do stop at the PFJ at 6050 Plaza Drive Fort Myers, and top off the fuel tank; this is to greatly reduce the chance of condensation forming in a 1/2 empty tank while parked for an extended period. They also have drive-through truck parking spaces, you'll see when/if you re-fuel there.
Safe travels!

NXR 11-11-2019 04:09 PM

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, folks. We're poring through them now. There weren't an places open in Ft. Myers we liked so we now have reservations a bit further south in Naples for December. I'm actually OK with that. :)

Ray

Scott 3 11-11-2019 05:42 PM

Take your time. Go down to Louisiana, and cut across Mississippi. Alabama and the pan handle. Better yet, take a swing through part of Texas and then over.

NXR 11-11-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott 3 (Post 5034391)
Take your time. Go down to Louisiana, and cut across Mississippi. Alabama and the pan handle. Better yet, take a swing through part of Texas and then over.

That's what friends of ours did last year. They left just before Halloween and meandered their way over to FL by January. We're considering that as well.

Ray