iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   All my batteries died (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/all-my-batteries-died-468838.html)

JTAG32 11-12-2019 05:26 PM

All my batteries died

2018 Thor Windsport 34J

Camped with it ~9 days ago...put it into storage lot using my normal procedure (unplug, turn off everything, switch to "store" mode). Went out to the storage lot today to add some antifreeze and drain water and both the house batteries and Chassis batteries are dead.

I had to leave it, and will go back this weekend to see what I can figure out - always possible I missed a step. But seems odd that house AND chassis would be dead together. Even if I left a light on, that should only drain either the house or the chassis (depending on the light). I don' think there's any single item I can leave on that would drain BOTH?

Also, my plan is to jump the house batteries and start the generator. get the house charged up and use the emergency start to get the engine started and let that run for a bit to get the chassis charged up...Only have 6,000 miles, so really don't want to have to buy new batteries yet!

twinboat 11-12-2019 06:00 PM

The only item, that comes to mind, that ties to both batteries is the boost or emergency start solenoid.

Could the emergency start switch be stuck on ?

JTAG32 11-12-2019 06:06 PM

Thanks Twin. Anything is possible now. Though I have never used or even touched the emergency start switch, so not sure how it would have happened. I'll have to take a look this weekend...

pasdad1 11-12-2019 06:38 PM

All my batteries died

If batteries are “dead” running the engine and generator will not be enough to properly charge them. They will need to be hooked up to shore power for at least 8-12 hours to properly charge them. Is there a power outlet at the storage facility you can use overnight ?

The other possibility is to get at least a 100 watt portable solar panel with controller, then you can leave the solar hooked up all the time to keep batteries topped off.

JTAG32 11-12-2019 08:45 PM

No power at storage. I may bring home and plug-in overnight this weekend.

Thanks pasdad!

triplewide 11-13-2019 05:19 AM

My 2015 ACE 29.3 had a BIRD module that would engage a solenoid that tied the coach batteries and engine bat together when the engine was running, generator was running, or shore power on. Looked like this:

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/i...-00-00362-100/

This is the same solenoid that should engage when you push the Emergency start switch. Both the BIRD and solenoid were located in the battery compartment on the ACE.

It may be possible that your solenoid is stuck in the closed position keeping all the batteries connecdted. The BIRD could also be defective. These solenoids are notorious for failing.

Many loads if left on can drain the batteries in a few days.

TXTiger 11-13-2019 05:25 AM

Not sure about your rig but on many the generator runs on the chassis batteries so charging the house batteries may not start the generator. You may have to charge the chassis batteries to get the generator running. Then the generator will charge the house batteries as it runs. Yours may be the opposite?

twinboat 11-13-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXTiger (Post 5036243)
Not sure about your rig but on many the generator runs on the chassis batteries so charging the house batteries may not start the generator. You may have to charge the chassis batteries to get the generator running. Then the generator will charge the house batteries as it runs. Yours may be the opposite?

Most gas engine MH use the house batteries for generator starting.

twinboat 11-13-2019 05:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by triplewide (Post 5036241)
My 2015 ACE 29.3 had a BIRD module that would engage a solenoid that tied the coach batteries and engine bat together when the engine was running, generator was running, or shore power on. Looked like this:

https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/i...-00-00362-100/

This is the same solenoid that should engage when you push the Emergency start switch. Both the BIRD and solenoid were located in the battery compartment on the ACE.

It may be possible that your solenoid is stuck in the closed position keeping all the batteries connecdted. The BIRD could also be defective. These solenoids are notorious for failing.

Many loads if left on can drain the batteries in a few days.

The BIRD controller is only 1/2 of the isolation system.
There is also a continues duty solenoid that carries the current. That may stick closed.

On my 2017 Thor, they use a BIM isolation controller. Its a solenoid and controller in one unit.

Your MH could have one or the other. Both serve double duty for Emergancy Start function.

It may have nothing to do with the isolation system and just a coincidence that both batteries ran down due to seperate issues.Attachment 266709Attachment 266710

JTAG32 11-13-2019 08:39 AM

Thanks all. I'll check the BIRD/BIM for issues. Also could be a coincidence. I'll report back if i figure out what happened.

Earl II 11-13-2019 08:48 AM

Batts

Looks like the house batts (Interstate brand) on our new Bay Star have developed dead cells already. So we got it in March but it was built the previous August making them 15 months in the coach and they are failing. Seems like the typical case with originally equipped batteries.

JTAG32 11-13-2019 05:11 PM

Just tried to jump start the coach with a jump box (no luck) and then with my wife's explorer. Also no luck. Let it run for ~5min or so and still couldn't get the engine cranked.

I'm assuming that means my battery is toast?

pasdad1 11-13-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTAG32 (Post 5037091)
Just tried to jump start the coach with a jump box (no luck) and then with my wife's explorer. Also no luck. Let it run for ~5min or so and still couldn't get the engine cranked.

I'm assuming that means my battery is toast?

Did the engine turn over at all? Even really slowly, or nothing ?

Do you have really heavy gauge jumper cables? Definitely 2 gauge wire ...or even better 1 gauge

JTAG32 11-13-2019 05:32 PM

The lights came on, and the engine "clicked" weakly. The cables are decent gauge. I couldn't tell you if they were 2 gauge or not...I would've expected them to get hot if they were insufficient?