iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Wrangler JKUS LED Taillights and Headlights (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/wrangler-jkus-led-taillights-and-headlights-469868.html)

les.warden 11-21-2019 08:07 PM

Wrangler JKUS LED Taillights and Headlights

2016 Wrangler JKUS here. I tow this behind our motorhome. Installed the baseplate and everything myself. Works great!

For the taillights, I installed diodes so I can use only the Jeep taillights when driving it or when itís being towed.

Iíve been looking at Quadratec GEN II LED headlights and taillights package, or some equivalent, as a replacement for the original lights.

My question is this...they seem to be plug/play LED lights. With my installed diodes, can I just replace the originals with the plug/play LED lights?? Has anyone done this themselves?

Lt Dan 11-22-2019 08:43 AM

I replaced my 2012 headlights with the Quadratech LEDs and they were just plug and play. I thought the 2016s already had LED headlights? I know they changed some time after 2012 but not for sure when.

les.warden 11-22-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt Dan (Post 5048082)
I replaced my 2012 headlights with the Quadratech LEDs and they were just plug and play. I thought the 2016s already had LED headlights? I know they changed some time after 2012 but not for sure when.

Not mine anyway. Same old dim headlights and bulb taillights. Of course I donít have electric windows or door locks either. Maybe LED was an option for more $$. [emoji2369]

Lt Dan 11-22-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by les.warden (Post 5048285)
Not mine anyway. Same old dim headlights and bulb taillights. Of course I donít have electric windows or door locks either. Maybe LED was an option for more $$. [emoji2369]

Then definitely go with the Quadratec headlights. That's one of the very best mods I have done to my Jeep. There is a huge difference in light output. It took about five minutes per light to change them out but did take several adjustments to get the beam adjusted correctly.

RubiconTrail 11-22-2019 10:47 AM

For both headlights and tail lights, I would go with JW Speaker brand. They are spendy and worth it. By far the best headlights for forward visibility, and by far, the tail lights can be seen from Further behind.

I have four jeeps, two are JK's.

The comment about the LED headlights in the newer JK's (2017 and newer) is pertinent, those headlights are VERY good...as good as the earlier ones are bad. If you get those, I would just keep them, you aren't going to do any better aftermarket.

Mr_D 11-22-2019 10:47 AM

I have a 2014 Dragon JKU. Installed all the towing gear myself. Used a premade wiring harness so no splicing. Replaced the head, tail and turn signals with new LED lights. Head and tail lights came from Amazon. Got the anti flash from Amazon too. I need to do more checking as the lights are either losing connection or something is causing them to flash on high beam on rough roads only. Just haven't driven it enough at night when I can use the high beams.

les.warden 11-22-2019 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I noticed the GEN II lights have a anti-flicker module included. Thatís why I was wondering if they work with the diodes. What is that module all about?

Hereís a picture of how I wired the diodes in. If you bought the pre-wired kit, it had the diodes already wired in.

Attachment 267634

NC25T 11-22-2019 03:21 PM

I think there are several solid led brands out there, however only a few I would consider. I drive my JKU in winter snow/icy weather thus for me I need a heated LED headlight. Trucklite makes one and I believe quadratic also came out with a heated LED light which if I recall is made by JW speaker.

Personally zero interest in a non heated LED