iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   How do you pay tolls on the road? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/how-do-you-pay-tolls-on-the-road-469917.html)

Rvlegaleagle 11-22-2019 10:11 AM

How do you pay tolls on the road?

Will be going from eastern long island down to Florida on December 23rd to visit Mom and take in the Tampa RV show:)

The toll system has changed over the years and "Cash" lane are either gone or minimized in favor of the easy pass system or picture get it in the mail system. The problem with the easy pass system is it isn't universal and what works in some states doesn't work in other states.

So how do you deal with paying tolls for the RV and for the toad? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or your experiences while traveling:)

alank 11-22-2019 10:18 AM

Keep a supply of bills and change, Dw reads the sign, gets proper amount ready, stop at the booth & pay.
Not a big deal, we aren’t in a time race.
Usually, past the toll booth, there’s a wide shoulder to stop on if you want.

danny285 11-22-2019 10:20 AM

I always pay cash and use the big truck lanes

Dave-Oh 11-22-2019 10:48 AM

EZ Pass. no issues, esp on the east coast. been to AZ, MT, FL and it was compatible all the way.

Lt Dan 11-22-2019 11:27 AM

We got an EZ Pass from Ohio on our trip up through New England last year and it was good in all but one state. It was much easier to use it instead of the cash lanes as some of them were very narrow. Once we finished the trip we just returned the transponder and they reimbursed the unused portion of our deposits.

rk911 11-22-2019 11:35 AM

we have the illinois i-pass which is good in a bunch of states. beyond that we either avoid them or if we must and there are no cash lanes we simply wait for the bill in the mail.

lllkrob 11-22-2019 11:37 AM

You want the N C QuickPass transponder not the sticker. It can be set up on line and mailed to you. It is good in any E Z Pass state and in Georgia and Florida. So any where you travel along the East Coast or Midwest is covered. https://www.ncquickpass.com/Pages/default.aspx

dix39 11-22-2019 12:27 PM

I avoid the things whenever possible, but when I do have to use them I pay with cash as others have mentioned. I haven't had a problem doing that yet.

About the only part of the eastern seaboard road system we use is to get from WV the SC to visit a Navy friend there. I generally use no-fee interstates there. We have occasionally used the WV Turnpike which was paid with cash. The same with other toll roads we've been on around the country, but we haven't been on all of them.

If I were going to be using toll roads often I would probably get a EZ pas, but for the number of times we use them I don't mind the few minutes it takes to pay at a window.

Best of luck.

Steve

petrel 11-22-2019 02:14 PM

EZ pass

Wild Card 11-22-2019 02:17 PM

EZ Pass or No EZ pass, roll through it. They will simply just send you a bill in the mail. I like to make them work a little for their money

MRUSA14 11-22-2019 02:18 PM

If you don't use an EZPass (or SunPass in FL) transponder you are wasting time and money. The transponder tolls are discounted, and there is always either no line or a much quicker line at the transponder-only lanes. Plus, you never have to fumble around looking for cash with which to pay the toll.

Dutch Star Don 11-22-2019 08:48 PM

I just remove my plates and floor it! :whistling:

Rvlegaleagle 11-22-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don (Post 5048947)
I just remove my plates and floor it! :whistling:

How about using those clear license plate covers you see all the time...lol.

Seriously though..."EZPass (or SunPass in FL)" ...are they one the same? Since I will be in Florida will a New York EZpass work as a SunPass in Florida? Who sends (debits) you for the bill New York or Florida?

TonyDi 11-22-2019 10:38 PM

I just returned from a trip from NJ to Ft Myers Fl. I had no problems anywhere with my N.J. E-Z-Pass