iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Flying J discount is back (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/flying-j-discount-is-back-51392.html)

Route 66 04-25-2009 06:50 PM

Flying J discount is back

It looks like the cash price is back when using a credit card and your RV Loyalty card.

Quote:

#3) Cash Price for Fuel
Receive cash price for diesel fuel at our commercial truck islands at Flying J locations when presenting your RV Real Value loyalty card. If you are paying for fuel by credit/debit card please insert your card used for payment first and then enter your RV Real Value card as prompted at the pump. The cash price will be shown on your receipt but will not be reflected on the fuel pump. If paying by cash insert your RV Real Value card into the cardreader before fueling, pump your fuel and pay at the cashier. The cash price will be shown on your receipt but will not be reflected on the fuel pump.

Flying J website.

doc 04-25-2009 08:20 PM

Old news around our local J. Been back for several months.

Hitchhiker 04-25-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

#3) Cash Price for Fuel
Receive cash price for diesel fuel at our commercial truck islands at Flying J locations when presenting your RV Real Value loyalty card. If you are paying for fuel by credit/debit card please insert your card used for payment first and then enter your RV Real Value card as prompted at the pump. The cash price will be shown on your receipt but will not be reflected on the fuel pump. If paying by cash insert your RV Real Value card into the cardreader before fueling, pump your fuel and pay at the cashier. The cash price will be shown on your receipt but will not be reflected on the fuel pump.

When using a charge card along with the RV Real Value loyalty card, isn't the cash price only granted at the truck lanes as opposed to the RV Islands and/or the Auto Pumps?

69RoadRunner 04-25-2009 09:07 PM

I got the cash price last week using the RV Rewards card. I used the truck lanes.

Can't confirm if it's only the truck lanes.

RV Wizard 04-26-2009 05:36 AM

They probably saw where they were loosing money to their competitors.

paz 04-26-2009 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitchhiker (Post 496239)
When using a charge card along with the RV Real Value loyalty card, isn't the cash price only granted at the truck lanes as opposed to the RV Islands and/or the Auto Pumps?

To my knowledge, the cash price has always been granted at the RV and auto islands, even if you used a credit card, and even if you didn't use the RV card. At least it was for gasoline - since our rig is gas, I can't speak for diesel, and I can't speak for the truck islands. Last summer when they had their 3 cent discount after a purchase of a certain amount in the store (I think $10), we never bought anything in the store so we never qualified for the 3 cent discount. Therefore, I didn't waste my time swiping the RV card; but to my recollection, I still got the cash price with my credit card.

doc 04-26-2009 09:01 AM

We never use the Flying J truck lanes. Those guys are out trying to make a living and don't need me in their way. We do use RV lanes and try to use FJ exclusively when traveling and they are available. There was a time when you did not get the discount (a whole penny!) but that was when they were pushing the FJ credit card and you had to buy so much in the store. That was so unpopular they went back to the old method and re-instated the 1 cent discount. To my knowledge, the cash price has always been available with the Real Value card.
I buy a lot of fuel at our local FJ, but have no idea how things were/are done at other locations in other states.

GaryKD 04-26-2009 09:53 AM

Hurray for the J. :clap: I went to their web site just a week or so ago and this reinstated benefit had not been there. There is a Santa Claus! :thumb: I will now return to using the J 100% of the time.

porscheracer 04-26-2009 01:37 PM

We fueled at FJ twice in the last 2 weeks, and only got the penny discount. Once was at a truck island and once at an RV island.

UPS 34 04-27-2009 03:17 AM

I think there is a 300 per month limit. Wow .. I think that is $3.00 off in a month.

GaryKD 04-27-2009 04:36 AM

Hi UPS 34,
The limit has always been there. In addition, it depends on how much one's total spending is, for the month, to determine how much the total fuel discount will be. For me, it has always been the attitude of the J more than the $s. The attitude now seems to be swinging back toward letting diesel coach owners know the J wants our business.

Olive 04-27-2009 06:02 AM

The discount came back sometime last summer for FMCA members then a short time later for everyone. It is no longer linked to spending. I like the J for convenience if I need to dump or to catch a few winks. The fuel price is usually the best in that area too.

Max Hubrich 04-27-2009 08:27 AM

I pay cash wherever I go. I see no advantage for me to get to a Flying J, which is usually out of my way in my Northeast travels. It might save me a dollar on a fillup but you must go inside the store, get in line, give them your money for authorization to pump, then pump, and then get back in line to settle up--- Forget it!! :nonono:

On the turnpikes in the North East (except NJ where the law requires no "self service") they let you pump and then pay.

When gas hit $4 bucks a gallon last summer I don't think Flying J was giving any discount -- like someone said you had to buy something else in their store to qualify.

No FJ's for this camper.

doc 04-27-2009 12:59 PM

But Max, I pay at the RV pump with a credit card and the Real Value card, get a receipt and never have to go inside. That has got to be worth something right?

69RoadRunner 04-27-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc (Post 496818)
But Max, I pay at the RV pump with a credit card and the Real Value card, get a receipt and never have to go inside. That has got to be worth something right?

That doesn't work at every Flying J. The one off of I-95 in NC made me go inside.

I shut down 3 pumps with my RV card at the Carlisle Flying J last year. They had a power outage, and their pumps were a little squirrely.

The first one kept rebooting after I used my card.

The second one's card reader stopped reading cards.

The RV island pump kept rebooting. I had to go inside and have them activate the pump on the other side of the RV island.

diandtom 04-28-2009 12:15 PM

I was using FJ even without the discount. It seems they were a little cheaper anyway.
Tom

depchief 04-28-2009 07:53 PM

I used to like the hook, but recently have had second thoughts. Seems that every one I go into, the gas pumps will not accept the RV card, the pump is messed up, you cannot read the screen and on and on. This means having to go into the store, stand in line etc., as stated above. Not to mention the friendly RV'er who fills up and goes into the store to have lunch while you wait in line to fill up. Is this worth a penny.
Recently had to ask people to move their RV's from no parking areas so I could exit the parking lot. On was parked in a fire lane with slides out. To many are taking advantage of a good thing and will ruin the hospitality.

Dumping is always nice and accessible. Propane is not accessible, many times have had to go around to get the right side to reach the hose.

Ben Stair 05-02-2009 02:51 PM

Also, if some are not aware of it, in some states you will pay more at the Big Truck pumps vice the RV/car lanes. Found this out the hard way at a non-J in Las Cruces NM. Paid 5 more a gal. Watch the price since this is a "tax" diff now for the big rigs & we (RV) dont need to pay it or try to get it back later. I knew AZ did it long ago and stopped using the big pumps because of this in AZ, but with the prices going out the roof, other states started/are doing it also.

Just a FYI (and my opinion which we know is worth abut 0.0000002.5)

OldHiker 05-13-2009 01:59 PM

I pump generally 100+ gallons at a time. Do I care about the one cent discount? Not a chance. Loves, Pilot, etc. don't give a damn about rv'ers. Their pumps are dirty. The ground is covered in spilled diesel. Have to bring in a credit card BEFORE pumping and return afterwords. Oh, by the way, how long have you waited behind a truck while he was filling only to finally pull up to the pump and find it has one of those rings on the end of the nozzle that will not allow you to insert it into your filler. Then you have to que up again. Fill up with water and dump tanks? Not a chance.

Even if the J does not give a discount I would still use them. I will go out of my way to use them.

doc 05-13-2009 06:10 PM

We used FlyingJ all the way here to SD. Even found a couple of new ones. They were as cheap as other stops in the area and I didn't have to go inside and leave a credit card or try to explain to the girl at the fuel desk we don't have a truck number. Just pull in, put in the FJ fueler card and credit card and start pumping. One cent is not much of a discount, but it is something. Conveniece and ease of use is worth a lot more and I got them both from the J. The only time we had a problem is when a guy from Colorado pulled in front of us at the RV fuel line in a Malibu and got out to walk his dog on the grass between the truck lot and the front lot.
Apparently he did not seem to realize a 40 foot coach and a towed needs a little more room than the Malibu to turn.
There are some pretty dirty stops around, but there are also a lot of clean, nice stops that are non-FJ. We will continue to use them until such time that some of the other guys offer the same convenieces and prices - then we can talk.:D

GaryKD 05-13-2009 07:06 PM

Hi Doc,
Don't forget, one also gets the cash price, when using the RV Value card. The cash price is worth several cents per gallon.

read & learn 05-17-2009 09:10 AM

Since the J went into chapter [whatever] the price has been 1-2 cent more than the others out here in the western USA, but they still are alot more RV friendly.
As for the discount it doesn't add up to much each time you fill up, but if you keep track of fuel it adds up over time.
Have never had to pay Credit Card price, have always recieved Cash price. The only time had to go inside was to get receipt because someone didn't put paper in the pump.

GaryKD 05-17-2009 09:45 AM

Hi read & learn,
You must be using the RV pumps. The truck pumps work differently. The cash price regardless of payment method has always been available at the RV pumps. Until recently, the cash price at the truck pumps depended on the payment method. Unless the J has begun to provided receipts at the truck pump, one has always had to go into the store to retrieve a receipt from the receipt carousel.