iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   towing Camry manual transmission 4 down? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/towing-camry-manual-transmission-4-down-51982.html)

Texigan 05-09-2009 12:07 PM

towing Camry manual transmission 4 down?

Am considering towing a Toyota Camry or a Toyota Corolla/Matrix with manual transmission four down...

Anyone have experience towing either of these??

Comments will be appreciated.

Buck

TXiceman 05-09-2009 05:09 PM

Check REMCO TOWING for the requirements on Toyota. Toyotas are pretty limited in what you can tow. They do not show the Camray as towable except on a dolly.

Ken

Texigan 05-09-2009 06:14 PM

Ken I talked to the Service Manager at the local Toyota Dealer today and he told me the manual shift Camry, Matrix, and Yaris are all towable 4 down without voiding the warranty... Don't mind the manual shift, but wanted to hear from someone that has actually towed one before I lay down my hard earned cash...

Buck

Route 66 05-09-2009 06:30 PM

According to Motorhome Magazine's towing guide, both models are towable with a manual transmission.

TXiceman 05-09-2009 07:44 PM

"The service manager said"...I would want to see it in writing in the Toyota manual or on Toyota letterhead. My nickels worth.

Ken

doc 05-09-2009 08:52 PM

Not wanting to start anything here, but why don't you take a look at the Camry owner's manual before you get serious about laying down some major bucks. That will be the bible, not something a service may have said when they are trying to sell a car.

Route 66 05-10-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc (Post 501112)
Not wanting to start anything here, but why don't you take a look at the Camry owner's manual before you get serious about laying down some major bucks. That will be the bible, not something a service may have said when they are trying to sell a car.

I agree.

I buy my toads only after reading the towing procedures in the owners manual.

zooom 05-10-2009 08:36 AM

RE: Toyota towing...

While I do not have a Camry, I do have a 4WD 2001 Toyota RAV4 with the 5-sp manual trans. We have flat-towed this car behind our MH for ~10K miles, up to 70mph or so, following the instructions in the provided Toyota owners manual, without incident. Blue-Ox makes a specific baseplate for this [& generally for other flat-towable vehicles] which I installed 3-yrs ago & it does its job well. The manual also specifically says that automatic transmission versions [of the RAV4] are NOT flat towable.

Per the manual, the car engine needs to be run ~every 200 miles of towing [which often corresponds to our gas stops or driver changes] & there is no need to pull any fuses while towing. The manual does say to limit the speed to 55 mph [a bit unrealistic on the interstates these days] but we have found no problems exceeding that number up to the posted road speed limit whenever safe to do so. The car has ~120,000 miles on the odometer & we've owned it from new.