iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Dumb, really dumb (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/dumb-really-dumb-57606.html)

BigRedLancer 09-19-2009 09:07 PM

Dumb, really dumb

I took off down the street, from my house, with the car in tow and suddenly, there was a pull on the MH. I looked in my rear monitor and saw the car moving away from the MH. The brake monitor started screaming at me and I realized that the car was not attached to the MH. Went back to check out what was going on and found that I forgot to put the pin in the hitch. The hitch was laying on its side on the pavement and the normally coiled safety cables were stretched fully. Boy was I glad the brakeaway cable did its job.

:banghead:

RV Wizard 09-20-2009 04:06 AM

I would bet that you will never do that again! It is when we are in a hurry that we do things like this.

Jim Stewart 09-20-2009 06:13 AM

Glad it worked out. I forget the obvious at times too. We have gone to doing somethings separately. Like I hook-up and DW checks everything when I am done instead of doing it together.

Wizard 09-20-2009 07:42 AM

At my age, I've started doing at least 2 walk arounds after hooking up, then listening to my wife ask if I did this and that. Still started to drive off with the jacks down about a month ago. Also drove about a half mile with parking brakes on when out in Wyoming.
I just chalk it up to " SENIOR MOMENTS" and resolve to remember that next time.
Check lists are something real men just don't do LOL.

bldrbob 09-20-2009 08:11 AM

After driving a couple miles before noticing the shadow of my TV antenna I went to the clothspins.I have one for the antenna ,one for the coffee pot and one for the printer.When they are in use the clothspin is on the steering wheel.When the wheel is empty it is safe to move.I need another for the entertainment door over my head.
BOB

JC2 09-20-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedLancer (Post 547060)
I took off down the street, from my house, with the car in tow and suddenly, there was a pull on the MH. I looked in my rear monitor and saw the car moving away from the MH. The brake monitor started screaming at me and I realized that the car was not attached to the MH. Went back to check out what was going on and found that I forgot to put the pin in the hitch. The hitch was laying on its side on the pavement and the normally coiled safety cables were stretched fully. Boy was I glad the brakeaway cable did its job.

:banghead:

Kind of makes everything pucker doesn't it.:sick:

Dick & Pat 09-20-2009 10:26 AM

Posts like these are a needed reminder for all of us;

someone else's bad day helps us all to have better ones:dance:

buckeyes 09-20-2009 03:30 PM

It takes a big person to admit an error!

:angel: All of us have had those moments, and glad that no one got hurt. Guess it comes with being part of the human race. Oh, yes I have left the TV antenna up, steps out, and even drove off while the wife was still in office checking us out of the park. I did return for her after about 15 minutes of quiet! :facepalm:

Jim Stewart 09-20-2009 03:47 PM

Left Camp Newmar once with a 30AMP power power dragging down the road. Was DWs job, she wasn't there with me, clearly her fault.

porscheracer 09-20-2009 08:49 PM

We went to camp Freightliner, and had some repair work scheduled on the Vectra. My DW was following me, in the toad, out of the RV park (never stay there again!) when she suddenly disappeared. I waited for about 3 minutes and my cell phone rang. She had forgotten to put on her rings, and had "gone back to the RV to get them".

DandS 09-21-2009 10:24 AM

My worst incident with towing was when I forgot to disengage the parking brake on the toad before proceeding. Lucky my drive is gravel so front wheels just kind of made some ruts before I realized what was going on. If you tow, stuff is gonna happen !!!

EngineerMike 09-21-2009 11:58 AM

BigRedLancer- it takes a really big person to post a really stupid mistake for the benefit of others, rather than swallow hard & hope nobody notices. Thanks for the reminder, and for thinking of the rest of us. Guess I better check my hitch pin that I haven't looked at for a couple years.

DriVer 09-26-2009 03:45 PM

Three toads ago we owned a Chevrolet Trailblazer. While hooking up one day I missed the transfer case shift. We pulled away and in doing so I drug the car about 10 feet into gravel. The DW and I both looked at ourselves in disbelief but like folks say stuff happens. :facepalm:

From that day to this, my DW is constantly reminding me to check to see if the wheels are tuning on the toad. It's nice to have a DW with long term memory .... :flowers:

mrschwarz 09-28-2009 06:13 AM

Let's see. At one point or another:

Left the TV antenna up.
Left the parking brake on
Tried to put a Minicooper all the way onto the tow dolly (all 4 wheels)

There's probably more that my memory has suppressed (thankfully). :)