iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Damon (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   The damon nightmare (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/the-damon-nightmare-67415.html)

wa8yxm 07-08-2010 05:51 PM

The thing is: Motor homes are made from several "Sources" Damon assembles the parts. But they did not make the engine, they did not make the chassis. and those are covered under their manufacturer's warranty and/or recalls.. Damon will fix some "Chassis" issues, (Did 2 on my rig) but that is only because they are an authorized repair facility for some chassis or some issues on some chassis.

You ask who's name is on the coach.

Well, there are at least 3

Damon (on the front and back)

Freghtliner (on the sides)
and Cummins (Likewise)

And it apperas it is the latter who you have issues with.

Mine says Damon (Front and rear)
Workhorse and Vortec on the sides (Vortec beign a GM engine) and guess what... My "MAJOR" issues.. Well...

Windshield: Damon, fixed
Fuel Clip: GM-Fixed
Brakes: BOSCH, via Workhorse, Bosch is taking their own sweet time, I do not have a problem though since I drive it often (no car)
Refrigerator (Recall) Dometic, Fixed
Microwave (Dometic by LG) and VCR (also LG) I fixed the first trashed the 2nd.

NOTE: I blame LG for the VCR, and Dometic for choosing LG on the Microwave.

I had a problem with the Dash-Air,, I think that should have been workhorse, Damon fixed it.. And with the dash display, A known workhorse issue, Damon fixed that too. I was at Damon having the windshield fixed at the time so they took care of everything wrong. Very nice people.

But your problem is clearly a chassis/engine, not a motor home complaint.

Chuck 1935 07-09-2010 09:02 AM

Lesson learned. Don't buy a new coach, buy used and get the extended bumper to bumper warranty. That way you get it cheaper and the poor soul that bought it new gets to fix all of the problems. These things are big kits. It's up to you to get it all working.

aschuerg 07-10-2010 04:03 AM

I am up for that. Warranty or not what a pain in the a_ _. If I would have bought a auto with that much problems someone else would have owned it.

wa8yxm 07-10-2010 08:05 PM

I will apologize, But I will say all the problems you enumurated in your original post were either Chassis or Drive Train.. I saw no "house' problems, nothing at all I could lay at damon's door (like my windshield)

As someone said. When you purchase from other than an authorized dealer, it is basically the same as a "USED" rig. and the factory has no obligation at all.

aschuerg 07-11-2010 04:04 AM

Actually, I bought it from a Damon Dealer the problems were so numerouse engine and drive train just topped the cake. I have a NEW Warranty just like you. Now my front window is starting to pop out. $ 900.00 estimate to repair they have to take it out and reseal it covered under warranty. Tried to sell it couldn't get more than 80K offer. What does that tell you. Buy the way Damon is now 4 winds.

Chuck 1935 07-11-2010 11:35 AM

The private party that I bought my USED MH from wanted to step up to a fancier brand. After buying it they then spent a month back at the factory trying to get the damn thing fixed. When I called them to thank them for the great coach he had sold me, he told me how sorry he was that he ever sold the coach and wanted to know if I would be interested in selling the coach back to him. Fortunatly for me I knew of irv2 and had spent a long time looking over all of the posts to see who had problems with the different brands and chassis before making my buying decision. What I find truly amazing are the number of inquiries about purchasing different brands of Motorhomes that people are complaining about because of brakes, engines, poor handeling etc. Because of this website I have had many many trouble free, happy miles. Than you irv2 for providing a source of information to enable prospective buyers the resource to make informed buying decisions.

Dave and Jaime 07-11-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa8yxm (Post 639362)
Ah, you purchased from a non-authorized dealer.. Now I start to understand

one thing you can be sure Damon understands is a guideline called the "Uniform Commericial Code" Most states have consumer protection laws that are based on this guideline.

What it says is the SELLER warrants.. Not the factory. IN practice if you buy from an authorized dealer then the factory will re-emburse them for repairs made under warranty.. And other authorized dealers will honor the warranty as part of their contract with Damon.

however if you buy from a non-authorized dealer.. Then it's up to them to do the warranty work.. Not Damon.. And of course they do not want to spend the money.

So your complaint is with "Joe's RV's" or whomever you bought from, not Damon who is only following the rules.

The reason many of us, myself included, are saying that we don't have any problems and in fact Damon has been fantastic is that I (And I assume the others) Purchased new from an authorized dealer.. Thus if I have a warranty problem (Well, HAD, since it's now out of warranty) or a Recall.. I can go to any authorized dealer and they will fix it, and if one of their customers is in the area I bought my rig and has an issue, they can go to my dealer and they will fix it.

But if you buy from someone who it not authorized, then that "I'll fix yours, you fix mine" is not included in the deal.

You don't quite have it right. The UCC is not a guideline, it is statutory law in every state (some minor changes from state to state but law nonetheless). Second, the UCC does not relieve the manufacturer. All depends on the warranty. I have a 2009 Honda CRV I bought from a Honda dealer. The warranty is from the manufacturer. If I sell you my used CRV (and I am not an "authorized" Honda dealer), you still get a warranty -- from Honda. So, buying from Joe's RV may create issues but if Damon has said it warrants the product for X miles and Y years, it doesn't matter if you buy from me or Joe's RV.

Lawyer in KC

wa8yxm 07-11-2010 12:09 PM

Actually the UCC is a guidline.. However you are right that the laws in most (if not all) States are modeled on the UCC. so .. It has the effect of a law.

However the precise wording varies from state to state.

Question: You said you are a Lawyer.. What is your speciality.. Do you do UCC cases?

(Just wondering, The only UCC type complaint I have had to date.. Would not be worth the typing let alone the filing fee)

Dave and Jaime 07-11-2010 12:19 PM

I have, in fact, litigated a number of UCC cases but most such cases are not consumer cases. Rather, they involve two commercial entities (I focus on commercial litigation). For example, if Damon were suing Freightliner for economic damages it suffered because of nonconforming chassis, it would likely fall under the UCC.

Few consumer cases justify the legal expenses involved, particularly where legal fees are not recoverable. The sad fact is that unless you have a claim worth a few hundred thousand or more, litigation costs will generally be prohibitive in all but the simplest of cases.

wa8yxm 07-11-2010 05:08 PM

Well.. as I said, the one case I could have brought the filing fee would have been greater than the settlement provided I won.. (in short it was a 25 dollar repair bill)

But I do agree that consumers should be familiar with both the UCC and with the many state consumer protection acts, which go by assorted names, as I suspect you know, which are all based on it.

Or in simple words: KNOW YOUR RIGHTS.

I might like to encourage you to make a series of posts outlining the UCC and state laws based upon it if you are willing and the moderators allow (I'm not a moderator) as for one I would be interested in reading.

Since you would only be speaking of either past cases (Settled) or hypothetical the rule in many forums about not discussing active litigation would not apply.. But, since you would by nature of the posts be advertising your service... That might be a problem.

jcthorne 07-12-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschuerg (Post 667708)
Tried to sell it couldn't get more than 80K offer. What does that tell you. Buy the way Damon is now 4 winds.

Typical depreciation for higher end coaches is approx 50% of actual retail loss the first year to 18months. That's the loss you take for buying new vs preowned.

Damon does not build 4 Winds, 4 Winds does not build Damon. Both are a part of Thor Industries, have been for some time. Damon is a seperate product line and remains so. Not sure what your point was here.

KC1BUD 09-13-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa8yxm (Post 666488)
The thing is: Motor homes are made from several "Sources" Damon assembles the parts. But they did not make the engine, they did not make the chassis. and those are covered under their manufacturer's warranty and/or recalls.. Damon will fix some "Chassis" issues, (Did 2 on my rig) but that is only because they are an authorized repair facility for some chassis or some issues on some chassis.

You ask who's name is on the coach.

Well, there are at least 3

Damon (on the front and back)

Freghtliner (on the sides)
and Cummins (Likewise)

And it apperas it is the latter who you have issues with.

Mine says Damon (Front and rear)
Workhorse and Vortec on the sides (Vortec beign a GM engine) and guess what... My "MAJOR" issues.. Well...

Windshield: Damon, fixed
Fuel Clip: GM-Fixed
Brakes: BOSCH, via Workhorse, Bosch is taking their own sweet time, I do not have a problem though since I drive it often (no car)
Refrigerator (Recall) Dometic, Fixed
Microwave (Dometic by LG) and VCR (also LG) I fixed the first trashed the 2nd.

NOTE: I blame LG for the VCR, and Dometic for choosing LG on the Microwave.

I had a problem with the Dash-Air,, I think that should have been workhorse, Damon fixed it.. And with the dash display, A known workhorse issue, Damon fixed that too. I was at Damon having the windshield fixed at the time so they took care of everything wrong. Very nice people.

But your problem is clearly a chassis/engine, not a motor home complaint.

Automobiles are made from many sources too but when you have a problem with a mirror not working you don't go to the manufacturer of the mirror, you go to The manufacturer of the car.

They, through their dealers, remove and replace the mirror and send the defective one to the company that made it for redress. Auto manufacturers have the ability to pressure the parts suppliers. Hell they have even driven some out of business by setting prices they would pay. Try going into your favorite clothing store and declare that you will no longer pay $15 for a shirt but only $10, that is what the automaker does to their suppliers.

If you own a 2010 Lingenfelter Camaro T/A and have a problem with the engine you take it to the dealer where you bought it, not to Lingenfelter, even though it was modified by Lingenfelter, even if it is a Lingenfelter part.

I think this is what the OP was talking about. The Makers of Motor homes do not treat parts suppliers the way auto makers do. The attitude of Motor home makers is that parts suppliers are responsible to the customer and that they are officially out of the loop once the sale was made.

azloafer 09-13-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschuerg (Post 637363)
Finally received the much anticipated Bosh injector pump. Was installed yesterday coach ran fine. Planned on picking it up Friday AM.
Received a call last evening " We found the original oil leak you have." OK " Your engine block is cracked."
My help from Damon has been NON EXISTENT. Cummings and Freightliner have been my only help. What I get from Damon Is "It's not our problem, and it covered by warranty"
Warranty if you get something for free and it doesn't work what good is it????????????
My next stop is my attorney Monday morning some one else is going to own this thing not me. One lesson I did learn never pay cash!!!
THE SAD PART ABOUT IT WE REALLY LIKE THE COACH.

I can understand how you feel. About fifteen years ago we bought a new coach and had one problem after another. The same thing happened in regard to who built what part of the coach and who should fix it. We finally told the dealer that we would not pick it up when a repair was not done just because it was a chassis problem. We would leave it sit there while we pursued legal action. We told them that we didn't care who built what...the dealer should see that everything is fixed on a new coach and not make us run all over. Anyway, to shorten a long story, after a few days the dealer called us and said that he would give us a different model coach which was a step up from the one we were having trouble with. That is how it was settled. Be sure to let the dealer know what you are planning to do and maybe they will work something out without you having to go the legal route.

It still amazes me that we have learned to accept problems and make lists of items that don't work on a brand new coach. We take a new coach out on a "shake-down cruise" and log all the defective items. If this was any other product like a car or truck, or a house, etc., we would never be expected to keep it and wait months for things to be fixed. I'll bet that many many coaches cost more than the house the owner's are living in. Hope it all ends well, Joe

Finhawk 11-14-2010 10:24 PM

I thought about a 40' Damon DP. After reading these comments, my Winni is looking a lot better! Gas and all.