iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Extended Warranty & application question (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/extended-warranty-and-application-question-7139.html)

GoneFishin 05-16-2007 06:54 PM

We are scheduled for our LaPalma PDI Monday and the dealer is trying to sell us an extended warranty. So we are trying to do our research on the different companies.

We have a quote from Good Sam CSP. We completed the quote application and for the Retail Value we stated the price on the purchase contract, the price we negotiated and agreed to pay for the LaPalma. The Good Sam phone salesperson said we had to list the Retail Value as the MSRP, which makes the cost of the coverage more.

Does anyone have experience with this particular issue of valuing the coach in an extended warranty contract?

Can anyone offer their experience with the Good Sam CSP extended warranty? Any other recommendations for us to research?

Thanks in advance. We look forward to meeting other Monaco owners during our travels.

GoneFishin 05-16-2007 06:54 PM

We are scheduled for our LaPalma PDI Monday and the dealer is trying to sell us an extended warranty. So we are trying to do our research on the different companies.

We have a quote from Good Sam CSP. We completed the quote application and for the Retail Value we stated the price on the purchase contract, the price we negotiated and agreed to pay for the LaPalma. The Good Sam phone salesperson said we had to list the Retail Value as the MSRP, which makes the cost of the coverage more.

Does anyone have experience with this particular issue of valuing the coach in an extended warranty contract?

Can anyone offer their experience with the Good Sam CSP extended warranty? Any other recommendations for us to research?

Thanks in advance. We look forward to meeting other Monaco owners during our travels.

Dutch Star Don 05-16-2007 07:51 PM

Monaco offers it's own extended warranty. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, but we bought one for our DP. Keep in mind that the dealer gets to keep part of the extended warranty price, so the price is negotiable. The Monaco warranty was a better deal than Good Sams. We priced out Good Sam before we finalized our papework with the dealer.

We also bought Tire Guard. It costs around $400.00 and warranties your tires for 6 years. If you have a flat, ruin a tire or damage the rim, you're covered. They pay for the full replacement cost of the tire and $100.00 for the service call. It even covers the tires on anything you're towing.

I found a screw in the sidewall of one my 22.5 tires when I returned home from a trip. I took the coach to a dealer, where Tire Guard faxes them a form to complete. They completed the form and I paid for the new tire, $500.00 installed. They were a little slow in paying (they said they were moving to a new office), but nine weeeks later I got my $500.00 back. I paid $374.00 for my policy so I'm already $126.00 ahead.

MonacoMama 05-16-2007 09:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Good Sam phone salesperson said we had to list the Retail Value as the MSRP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be correct. MSRP stands for "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" ..If they do not state "Price Paid" and they ask for "Retail Price" then you must state what the Suggested Price would be....

hondo122 05-17-2007 08:57 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Good Sam phone salesperson said we had to list the Retail Value as the MSRP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be correct. MSRP stands for "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" ..If they do not state "Price Paid" and they ask for "Retail Price" then you must state what the Suggested Price would be.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mama, I don't understand your circular logic, unless the policy has some sort of full replacement cost language, the MSRP is of no consequence. The retail price, is that price, that a retail customer pays, not some inflated made up number. JMO http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/cool.gif

RonNBama 05-17-2007 09:35 AM

Mama, I don't understand your circular logic, unless the policy has some sort of full replacement cost language, the MSRP is of no consequence. The retail price, is that price, that a retail customer pays, not some inflated made up number. JMO http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/cool.gif[/QUOTE]

Awwww man, don't you know to NEVER-EVER question the logic of wimmins! Now you're in for a toasting! http://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

GoneFishin 05-17-2007 10:43 AM

How do I find out more about the warranty offered by Monaco? Can someone list the phone number of Monaco's extended warranty program? Or even the regular warranty program? There has to be more detailed information than what the brochure lists.

The Extended Warranty quote from Good Sam was OK, but the quote from Warranty Experts is more detailed, specific and included a section for Tire Guard. At least with WE you know what the 7 year costs are, whereas GS only provided 4 years.

Thanks!

digNbubbs 05-17-2007 11:25 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoneFishin:
How do I find out more about the warranty offered by Monaco? Can someone list the phone number of Monaco's extended warranty program? Or even the regular warranty program? There has to be more detailed information than what the brochure lists.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe this is the number I called when I inquired about the Monaco Extended Care - 1-800-450-6336 I ended up buying it after talking with them and reading some very favorable things on the web. As mentioned, everything is negotiable - this plan included.

--kev

GoneFishin 05-17-2007 02:02 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback. I don't know how I missed the number on the website, but I called and spoke with a couple people at Monaco who were extremely helpful. Brian and Vickie explained the roadside service, tech support, the regular warranty, and the Monaco Extended Care that can be purchased. She's sending me additional contract information so we can make a decision.

digNbubbs ~ We are looking at both the Monaco Ext Care and Warranty Experts (with Tire Guard as an option). Any comments on the 2 are appreciated.

We took a quick look at your blog and bookmarked it for later reading. We too are geeks, ready to leave the offices and computers and spend more time fishing than working. We full-timed for about 10 years when we were younger. Your blog reminded us of the 2 years we stayed in the Keys. Hope to keep in touch with you guys and meet on the road someday.

Toby 05-17-2007 02:31 PM

Gonefishin

Why do you need an extended warranty?. Workhorse gives you 3 years on the motor and frame and Monaco give you a whole year on everything else. The A/Cs have their own 2 year warranty. Most of the bugs can be worked out in a years time. Workhorse will tow you for 3 years to get it fixed if its broke. I do suggest the tire warranty. My tire warranty will pay to come out and fix or replace a (all) tires without depreciation for 7 years. Besides I do not like dealing with an off-brand extended warranty. We had one on our first MH and they told us a gasket was a seal and would not pay for it even thought the paper it came in said gasket. We could take them to court, but it was not worth it. Find out who stands behind the warranty insurance, i,e, the insurance company. s/Toby

digNbubbs 05-17-2007 07:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...
digNbubbs ~ We are looking at both the Monaco Ext Care and Warranty Experts (with Tire Guard as an option). Any comments on the 2 are appreciated.

We took a quick look at your blog and bookmarked it for later reading. We too are geeks, ready to leave the offices and computers and spend more time fishing than working. We full-timed for about 10 years when we were younger. Your blog reminded us of the 2 years we stayed in the Keys. Hope to keep in touch with you guys and meet on the road someday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome - congrats on escaping http://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif We are having an incredible time on our new adventure!

Unfortunately, I can't give you any head-to-head comparison on the two. I am not usually an extended service plan kind of guy, but was compelled to purchase the Monaco because it was executed by Monaco themselves. I have been very happy with the factory support I have received so far, and feel confident that I will have that support for a while.

Note that you can cancel the plan at any time and get a refund of the unused portion. I was advised to do that if I was selling the coach or trading it in. I suppose selling it private party would count as a selling feature, but I doubt you would get your money for it directly that way.

--kev

MonacoMama 05-17-2007 08:06 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
The Good Sam phone salesperson said we had to list the Retail Value as the MSRP

This would be correct. MSRP stands for "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" ..If they do not state "Price Paid" and they ask for "Retail Price" then you must state what the Suggested Price would be....

Mama, I don't understand your circular logic, unless the policy has some sort of full replacement cost language, the MSRP is of no consequence. The retail price, is that price, that a retail customer pays, not some inflated made up number. JMO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey HONDO... I didn't say that Good Sam's logic was RIGHT!!! I just stated that if they were asking for "Retail" that would be the MSRP ..which is the correct number THEY are looking for ...NOT THAT WHAT THEY WANTED WAS FAIR & RIGHT!!
Heck, I'm with you guys...but if that is how they base their insurance number...then that is what you have to give them. I have found not all insurance companies ask for MSRP - so you may want to continue shopping!

MonacoMama 05-17-2007 08:11 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Awwww man, don't you know to NEVER-EVER question the logic of wimmins! Now you're in for a toasting! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL... aw... now did I toast him in that last post .... or just redo my circular logic?
...and Bama ...you know me too well ... and we have never met!!!

MonacoMama 05-17-2007 08:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Note that you can cancel the plan at any time and get a refund of the unused portion. I was advised to do that if I was selling the coach or trading it in. I suppose selling it private party would count as a selling feature, but I doubt you would get your money for it directly that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Kev...You can use it as a bargaining tool to get as much for the RV as possible. If they won't pay what you want then tell them you will not include the service contract and cancel it to get your refund after you have worked the price ..that is IF it is transferable...