iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Texas bound (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/texas-bound-85189.html)

ultraevo 02-18-2011 03:11 PM

Texas bound

Our first trip for 2011, heading to Corpus Christi Texas for a month long trip.
Looking forward to get away from the snow up here in Ontario Canada.
Any one one have any tips, sites to see, where to stay.
Yee Haw :thumb:

TXiceman 02-18-2011 05:23 PM

welcome to Texas....JUST DO NOT BRING ANY MORE OF THAT COLD WEATHER DOWN HERE.

Lots to see stating at Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, lots to see in the Hill Country and Corpus Christi. What do you like, state parks, museums, ets?

ken

TW 02-18-2011 05:44 PM

Texas

NO COLD weather in the VANCOUVER area...The snow stays way up on top of those beautiful mountains. You will enjoy TEXAS.

TW

Arch Hoagland 02-18-2011 05:53 PM

Have you ever been to Corpus Chrisiti? We went there for a day and decided it wasn't for us.

Lash 02-18-2011 06:02 PM

Look at Port Aransas area also which is just north of Corpus. South Padre Island is further down the road, but the KOA there is a great place to stay.

By the way, with the weather the way it is right now in Houston, pack your shorts and short sleeve shirts.

Regards

jbailey2 02-19-2011 07:59 AM

Texas to Canada

Believe me if you want to go to Corpus from Ontario, you do not want to go 600 miles out of the way in west Texas just to see Pala Dura Canyon. Its a nice place, but a long way out there and back. Stay east of Dallas if you are going south.
In June we will be heading from Paris, Tx to near Ottawa. A little town called Quyon.

K5EAG 02-19-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraevo (Post 793157)
Our first trip for 2011, heading to Corpus Christi Texas for a month long trip.
Looking forward to get away from the snow up here in Ontario Canada.
Any one one have any tips, sites to see, where to stay.
Yee Haw :thumb:

"Remember The Alamo"
You will probably go right thru San Antonio. So stop by and see the Alamo.
Lots of neat things to do and see in San Antonio. Great food, nice KOA there too.

whem2fish 02-19-2011 08:36 AM

in corpus look into the padrae palm rv park on the water its not that big fishing is good under the oslo causeway be sure to see the aircraft carrier lexington that will be half a day
dave

Wayne M 02-19-2011 08:46 AM

I'm not a big fan of Corpus campgrounds. We are fortunate in that we get to stay at the military CG. We have toured all the CG's in Corpus and we don't feel they are up to our standards. Go to the RV Park Reviews web st and look ar the reviews. We have visited some outlying CG's and would stay in some of those.

Good luck.

p.s. A lot of wind along that coast line. Toppers flapping drive us bannas.

Arch Hoagland 02-19-2011 08:46 PM

Wayne M.... I agree with you 100%

TXiceman 02-19-2011 10:42 PM

There were a couple of OK places in CC, but they went down hill over the past 10 years. i would not stay in CC now. Check up the coast at Port Aransas Or cehcl Chorpus Christi State Park.

Ken

Wayne M 02-20-2011 09:17 AM

p.s., I'm 14 miles from Galveston, 40 miles from downtown Houston. There are a lot of campgrounds in this area. Weather is nice, and just as/not as hot as CC, depending on time of day. Galveston is a nice tourist city and the beaches are good. Houston has some fine museums, zoos, shopping, etc. Prices at the CG's in this area are typically lower than those in CC.

Just for thought.

ctpres 02-21-2011 06:53 AM

See if you can find March 2011 copy of Texas Monthly. Special 175th birthday of Texas edition on what to see and do in Texas. Outlines a 6,000 mile trip (just in Texas) to see it all. No matter which part of Texas your are in the issue will have something to see or do.

BpK9Miami 02-21-2011 07:06 AM

Lots of places to go and visit down here. One place to avoid on your trip is Hill Country RV Resort in New Braunfels. New Braunfels is great for the Hill Country aspect of the trip, just find somewhere else to stay. Oh, and I agree that you should leave some of that winter weather behind. We're above our quota for below freezing temps this year. Good luck on your trip.