iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Do you carry Med. Cert. in RV thats required by the Feds? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/do-you-carry-med-cert-in-rv-thats-required-by-the-feds-90580.html)

Popcorn Man 04-28-2011 11:41 AM

Do you carry Med. Cert. in RV thats required by the Feds?

I just learned that if you drive a vehicle thats designed or used as a living quarters and has a gross weight of over 10,001lbs. you are required to carry a Medical Examiners Cert. This is a FEDERAL reg. for Second Division Vehicles and the living quarters definition is considered a Second Division Vehicle. The required forms do not come from the SEC. of STATE in Il. were I live. You need to get forms from designated organizationsmost of which have to dowith Truckers. Any thoughts or comments re: this info???

Route 66 04-28-2011 11:50 AM

I don't recall this issue being raised before.

It sounds like a CDL type requirement that would not be applicable to RVs in personal use.

Can you provide a link to this requirement?

DRosedale 04-28-2011 11:52 AM

Never heard of this before. I would also be interested in a link to the site.

JohnRR 04-28-2011 11:56 AM

I carry the Med Card but it's only because I'm required to have it to drive my trucks.

Popcorn Man 04-28-2011 01:18 PM

This requirement is printed in the Illnois Sec. of State Non-CDL Rules of the road hand book under Federal Regulations for Second Division Vehicles. As defined, if a vechile is designed or used for living quarters and has a gross weight of 10,001lbs or more the operator is required to carry a Medical Examiners Cert. Doesn't that sound like MH RVers are included??

JohnRR 04-28-2011 01:36 PM

Do you have a link or a better/actual name to this so as to be able to read all that is pertaining to it?

Stogie 04-28-2011 02:13 PM

There is another State to cross of my list of places to visit.

RJay 04-28-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRR (Post 842455)
Do you have a link or a better/actual name to this so as to be able to read all that is pertaining to it?

Here is an excerpt from the manual:

Federal Regulations for Second Division Vehicles

A second division vehicle is:
7 designed to carry more than 10 persons;
7 designed or used for living quarters;
7 designed for pulling or carrying freight or cargo;
7 a first division vehicle remodeled for use as a second division vehicle; or
7 a first division vehicle used and registered as a school bus.
Operators of a second division vehicle with a gross motor vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more are required to carry a Medical Examiner's Certificate with them at all times while operating the vehicle. In addition, drivers are required to maintain a file containing a written test verification, road test verification and other records.

The complete manual can be found here. Just click on Rules of the Road for Non-CDL Vehicles

Route 66 04-28-2011 02:31 PM

I'll bet it's been ruled that this doesn't apply to RVs in personal use.

Disclaimer

gesmone 04-28-2011 02:43 PM

As a business all of my employees must have a medical card if they are driving a vehicle with a GVW of over 10,000#. A CDL is not required until you are over 26,000#.
I do not believe a medical card is required as a private coach.

Jack R 04-28-2011 02:50 PM

What part is not clear enough for you!

jack

Licensing Requirements
Operators of recreational vehicles, firefighting equipment, military vehicles and certain farm vehicles are not subject to the requirements of the Commercial Driver’s Licensing program. This section will help you determine whether or not you are required to obtain

a CDL or a Non-CDL classified license to operate your vehicle.

Doctors that due CDL medical exams either have the forms or know where to download the form from.

RustyJC 04-28-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popcorn Man (Post 842365)
I just learned that if you drive a vehicle thats designed or used as a living quarters and has a gross weight of over 10,001lbs. you are required to carry a Medical Examiners Cert.

I've never heard of this medical provision being applied to RVs. Superstar or NASCAR driver tour buses where the driver is being compensated - yeah, I can see that.

Rusty

Elkhartjim 04-28-2011 03:09 PM

I've got to ask, what is a Medical Examiners Certificate?

Never mind. I goggled it. Why in the heck don't they call it a physicians report? I thought I was qualifying to perform autopsies.

Chuck 1935 04-28-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack R (Post 842516)
What part is not clear enough for you!

jack

Licensing Requirements
Operators of recreational vehicles, firefighting equipment, military vehicles and certain farm vehicles are not subject to the requirements of the Commercial Driverís Licensing program. This section will help you determine whether or not you are required to obtain
a CDL or a Non-CDL classified license to operate your vehicle.

Doctors that due CDL medical exams either have the forms or know where to download the form from.

Another Non issue !!