iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   XM Radio (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/xm-radio-91410.html)

SW4UA 05-08-2011 10:13 PM

XM Radio

Our JVC Radio broadcasts fine through the surround sound on FM, CD etc., but when we switch it to XM, it only puts out on the left side. Anyone else have this problem?

Lault 05-09-2011 08:52 PM

Mine plays good through the roof top 4 speakers plus 2 in the bedroom.

traveldawg 05-12-2011 10:23 PM

Maybe a loose cable on the back of the JVC head unit where the XM module plugs in? (assuming you have the XM module installed and are not using the Line In inputs. If using the line in then maybe one of those are loose.

Be careful if you pull the JVC out the dash. On mine and one other 2011 Phaeton the GPS antenna connector came unplugged due to a VERY SHORT connection and it required a cable extension (hand made since no one make an extension cable).

openpro 05-24-2011 07:13 AM

Traveldawg, I have the same issue with the short GPS cable. How tough was making the extention? Also do you know the model #, ETC of the XM box? It didn't come from the factory with it installed and I would like to put it in.

traveldawg 05-24-2011 08:03 AM

Openpro,
I think this adapter Audiovox XM Direct 2 Universal Car Adapter CNP2000UCA is the XM module you need for your radio. Check the details to see that it will match your radio.

I didn't use an adapter. I used my small Sirius Sporster head unit that I move from car-to-car. That way I only pay one fee but can get Sirius in whatever I am driving.

To make an extension for the GPS coax: to avoid having to make 2 splices I spent about #30 and purchased a new GPS antenna for the radio; then I cut it about 6 feet long and used one end to plug into the radio unit plug (thus saving one splice); after cutting the end off the GPS antenna lead coming into the RV that was behind the dash I spliced the extension in. I was careful to expose as little as possible of the center conductor and tried to keep the length of the splice as short as possible. After and in-line splice on the center conductor and heat shrinking the connection I wrapped the outer braid around that splice and then put heat shrink on it too. I soldered the splices when I made them but was super careful to use as little as possible (I probably just tapped the soldering tip to the splice.).

One note, I brought the existing cable out the left side hole of the passenger side HVAC duct. The directional vent just unscrews from the duct hose. Otherwise there was no way to work on the existing antenna lead-in since it was so short.

I hope this works out for you. Let us all know how it works out.

oh - I considered using and SMA type connector for the splice but figured it was just as much trouble, if not more, than just using a splice.