iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Which gas grill? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/which-gas-grill-96850.html)

johnnyringo 07-10-2011 06:35 AM

Which gas grill?

We just purchased our first RV, a Tiffin Phaeton 40RH. We'd like to buy a propane grill to use outdoors. We really like "beer can chicken" so we need a grill with a taller top as the chicken is cooked standing up with a beer can in it's hiney. Can't seem to find a grill that is tall enough. Any recommendations? Thanks, J

Roger G 07-10-2011 07:06 AM

I have yet to see a gas grill tall enough to cook a drunk chicken but still fit in underneath storage. I'm a charcoal man myself but options are limited there also. Somebody, chargrill maybe, makes a barrel type smoker that the center section can be removed and the top and bottom make a grill. Add the center section and you have a smoker, it comes apart in 3 sections so storage options are better. I don't know if they make a gas option though. I am currently saving my pennies for a Big Steel Keg, it is a stainless steel knock off of the ceramic Big Green Egg. I have a BGE at home and love it. The great thing about the BSK is that it is lighter since that it is insulated double walled steel, still heavy but much lighter than the ceramic egg. The BSK comes with an attachment to haul it on a receiver hitch., I already have a double hitch that I use to carry a bike rack as well as haul a trailer so I will have to pick 2 of the 3 but for tailgating, the grill will get priority.

Abneynormal 07-10-2011 07:31 AM

we bought a stainless gas grill at lowes for 80 bucks. it is almost identical to the one camping world sells for over 200. i use it everywhere. get the propane tank hose accessory so you can use a standard tank instead of those small cylinders

Rick Long 07-10-2011 07:46 AM

Buy a Weber "Q" or "Baby Q".... Can't cook the chicken standing up but hey!, it's the chickens last dance so let 'em go laying down. ;)

85Eagle 07-10-2011 07:57 AM

Gas Grill

The Weber-Q 200 or 220 is the best Grill on the market today for their size. Very fast to heat up and none better for grilling steaks. These get hot for excellent grilling and great customer service.

tmar10 07-10-2011 08:55 AM

Our Baby Q 120 is wonderful but ready to move up to the 220 for additional capacity. We also have the Weber portable stand and a pancake LP tank.

goreds2 07-10-2011 09:05 AM

I think this is the one with the taller lid.

Amazon.com: Weber 566002 Q 220 Gas Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden

bdpreece 07-10-2011 10:40 AM

We love our Porta-Chef Onward Manufacturing Co - Porta-Chef Pro Grill - Gas Grills - Camping World

TonyDi 07-10-2011 10:46 AM

I have been using the Weber Q-200 for about a year. It works very well and you can't go wrong with it. It heats up fats and they make it easy to clean. Make sure to buy the adapter so you can use a standard propane tank instead of the small cylinders

njs42 07-10-2011 10:55 AM

Assuming for a moment you cannot find what you want---a top tall enough to do the beer can chicken.

For the ocassional beer can chicken----think this over. Most of the lids on these grills are removable---mine is------so find the grill you want (all suggestions have been good ones---I have a Coleman Road Trip) but carry a three/four inch wide piece of stainless steel flexible enough to make an oval around the grill area----construct a way to fasten the two ends---then set your top on the oval-----------------???? After use the SS could be rolled into an easily transportable tighter roll.

Or have I had one too many beers? You decide.

PS: I'm going to try this myself---thanks for asking the question. I like beer can chicken but do not do it with the Coleman---top to short. As a matter of fact the stainless could also be a good wind break when cooking regularly.

johnnyringo 07-10-2011 05:34 PM

I visited Lowe's, Home Depot and Wallyworld today checking out the grills. Liked the Weber Q220 alot. Ordered one from Amazon. Thanks to you all for your input.