Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Where do I look to find the TCM 2006 HR Vacationer DP?

I have been having Allison MH1000 issues on my HR 2006 Vacationer DP. It gets stuck in either 3rd or 4th gear. I took it to the Allison Transmission shop and they found the wrong filter and low Tran fluid levels. That resolved the issues for a few weeks. (Could have just not happened during that time randomly.) The issue came back today. I checked Tran fluid level and it was full.

The Allison shop wants to find the TCM to tap directly into it and better diagnose the issue. They work on lots of trucks and buses, but not near as many RVs. As the Service Manager explained to me that RVs are some times creative where they mount the TCM. His words... "It is somewhere between the front bumper and the rear bumper." He doesn't want to charge me for looking for the unit. Especially since it could potentially take numerous hours just to find it.

My request is does anyone have an idea where the TCM on a 2006 HR Vacationer Diesel Pusher is located?
bwlowry615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlowry615 View Post
I have been having Allison MH1000 issues on my HR 2006 Vacationer DP. It gets stuck in either 3rd or 4th gear. I took it to the Allison Transmission shop and they found the wrong filter and low Tran fluid levels. That resolved the issues for a few weeks. (Could have just not happened during that time randomly.) The issue came back today. I checked Tran fluid level and it was full.

The Allison shop wants to find the TCM to tap directly into it and better diagnose the issue. They work on lots of trucks and buses, but not near as many RVs. As the Service Manager explained to me that RVs are some times creative where they mount the TCM. His words... "It is somewhere between the front bumper and the rear bumper." He doesn't want to charge me for looking for the unit. Especially since it could potentially take numerous hours just to find it.

My request is does anyone have an idea where the TCM on a 2006 HR Vacationer Diesel Pusher is located?
bwlowry615
I don't know about the 2006 HR Vacationer Diesel Pusher, (or about a TCM)...but in my 1996 Safrari the Allison VIM, (Vehicle Interface Module), is located on the center of the front firewall.... below the windshield... up under the dash.

ALLISON VEHICLE INTERFACE MODULE (VIM)
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
TCM Located

Called Holiday Rambler Tech Support in Oregon and got the answer.

The TCM and the ABS control modules are located in the back, passenger-side compartment. About 6-8 screws removed and the cover came off and there it was.

I am including pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TCM location - Back, passenger side compartment 2006 HR Vacationer DP.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	147652

Name:	TCM cover removed_LI.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	147653

Name:	TCM & ABS control_LI.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	147654
Old 01-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

He probably isn't "tapping into" the TCM directly. He's looking for the diagnostic connector to hook up Allison DOC or another diagnostic tool of some kind. Those are usually under the dash or in a junction box somewhere.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The tech was tapping directly into the TCM. This was done because there are communication issues with the front of the RV (where the plug-in port is under the left side of the dash.) He will follow the cable bundles up the rails and then clean and "re-Dielectric Grease" any connections that he comes across.

My bad luck was that when the fluid pan was dropped for inspection, there was a large amount of particles from the transmission. Awaiting a rebuilt Allison being shipped for replacement.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #6

Ah okay. I see what you mean. I thought you meant he wanted to actually get inside the TCM. I misunderstood.
dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, holiday rambler