Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

1993 Holiday Rambler questions about repairs

I just found this 1993 Holiday Rambler for sale yesterday. I only got to take a very quick look at it, as I didn't have much time and it was hot as hell. It only has 64,444 miles on it. It has been sitting for about a year in their driveway unused. I'm including a few pictures I was able to take quickly. A couple of the ones I took of the ceiling headliner for some reason didn't come out so I can't post them.

Main problem #1 is the falling headliner. It doesn't appear that there is any water damage or delamination from what I could tell. It appears to be caused by the extreme heat and deterioration of the foam/adheasive over the years.
It will have to be removed and something else put up or just painted. My question is, if it really is just from age and heat what is a good replacement. I don't want to put up another headliner. I'd rather replace it with some kind of paneling or ceiling material that is not expensive. I've seen a few things that look nice, but not sure if it is easy to work with.

Problem #2 - how hard is it to remove the wallpaper, or can you just put something over it to upgrade? If you notice the picture of the window, you can see the wallpaper shriveling on the edges. I assume this is also from age and heat.

Problem # 3 - the refrigerator needs replaced and not sure how much a new one will run or if it is difficult to find one for this age of RV.

Problem #4 - needs all new tires. I assume it is going to cost a lot of money to replace all the tires. What am I looking at approximately. $1200 or $3000?

We plan to go back at a later time and look at it more thoroughly. It does start up and sounds pretty good. Luckily my husband is a mechanic so that is one thing on our side. The lady doesn't really know too much about it, just that they have owned it for about 3 years. They bought it in New York, lived in it for a year and drove it here to Texas from New York and its been sitting for a year. I would like some opinions of what you seasoned RVers and fixer uppers have to offer, with the little info I have and pictures. Do you think this is a good find and doable project for us? She wants $8,000 for it but I want to offer less, just not sure how much I should offer.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s130.photobucket.com/user/samuelson2005/embed/slideshow/1993%20Holiday%20Rambler"></iframe>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150924_111131.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	107971   Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	107972  

Name:	Dash.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	107973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	107974  

TamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #2

The other pictures.

BTW, I didn't get a chance to walk around the entire coach or check out the roof. I expect that it will need some work such as cleaning, caulking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dining table.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	107975   Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	107976  

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	107977   Click image for larger version

Name:	mileage.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	107978  

Old 09-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Hi Tam,

Just saw a video on utube about replacing a refridgerator in a Bounder and it was unbelievable how they did it, the quality of the technicians that worked on this RV (the care they took). The place that did the replacement was named Apache RV in Vegas. Here is the link to the video. It is 22 min long but well worth the time. Good luck and Be Blessed on your purchase decision. Laurie and Gerry
VetNomadsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #4

In my MH the previous owner secured the fallen headliner with a bunch of thin wood battens screwed to the plywood ceiling. While it may look a bit strange it's the most practical way to solve the problem.

New York? RUST RUST RUST! Check very carefully.

If that's a Ford chassis it's virtually guaranteed to need an exhaust manifold.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #5

We wouldn't be putting in a residential refrigerator. We just want to replace with RV fridge.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would offer 4k max, too much work and lot's of dollars needed to bring up to par. The tires and fridge alone is close to 3 to 6K cost alone.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #7

JohnHicks

Tacking the headliner isn't going to work with this coach. It has already come down and is almost hanging to the floor in the bedroom. You can see it in the pic from front to hallway and bedroom. The headliner is shot

I'm not sure what chassis as I didn't get to look at it more thoroughly but I assume its a Ford.

We will look for rust and water damage when we go back but not sure why it being in NY would cause it to have more rust. They lived stationery in it for a year. They didn't travel in it during that time. I don't know much about rust issues in NY. I'm assuming you mention it due to the salt on the roads during winter. Which really wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm really wanting to know if it is worth getting, assuming the things I mentioned are the only majors issues. Does anyone feel like its even worth a second look to examine it more, or should we just not bother?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
I would offer 4k max, too much work and lot's of dollars needed to bring up to par. The tires and fridge alone is close to 3 to 6K cost alone.
I think we were posting atcthe same time LOL. Thank you that is the kind of answer I was looking for. I too feel it needs way too much work to come anywhere near close to $8,000. I'm not sure its even worth the headache honestly. We don't want to bite off more than we can chew.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #9

Hi! We just got a 88 Aluma Lite 31', looks quite similar to yours!

We replaced all 8 tires (it had sat for 7yrs!) for $1780. All new front brakes, 1 wheel bearing, AC belt tightened, & a brake flex line? $780.

We got our mh for only $2000, the guy just wanted it gone! Exterior & interior near perfect condition, & just realized it also has the Banks system last night! 👍🏻

We replaced the fridge in our previous class c with a brand new 'scratch & dent' helium frig we bought at an RV surplus store - $500!! It had one very small dent in bottom frig frame which wasn't even noticeable!

Good luck with your decision, we absolutely love our Aluma Lite!!
BarkerLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree tht the price is too high for this rv. Lot of work, fair amount of $ involved. I have a 97 Damon that only has 37k miles and needs no work and I am only asking $12k. shop around, lots of motorhomes for sale.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #11

I have a 1994 model 32' bought about 5 years ago for 5000 the headliner looked just like yours I cut some 2" by 3/4" strips of oak wood and stained it looks same as cabinets cut them the width of sealing used some black sheetrock screws don't remember the length only screwed it on the ends at an angle to go into the aluminum channel, in the front of coach i screwed through the cabinets into the end of wood strips, I have used the coach for 5 years it is still holding the head liner up and looks good. For the right price looks like a nice coach.
stan4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Add up the costs and buy one thats had the work done

Save yourself the agravation. Keep looking.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler, repair, repairs