Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #1

Looking At Holiday Rambler

I going to look at a 2000 Holiday Rambler 40PBD this Sunday. Odometer shows 80K.
It's going to be a 6 1/2 hr drive each way to look.
Anything in particular I should be paying close attention to? Other than the usual tire age, possible mold on the ceiling, abuse, etc.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #2

Take a flashlight and look in all the cabinets and cupboards. You may find signs of leaks or mold you otherwise would miss.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ask to see all maintenance records, make sure engine, transmission, coolant, generator has been serviced with regular interval. See what kind of front hubs are on, probably will have grease hubs, pop the cover and look at condition of grease.

If this is a rear radiator check to see how clean it is as this type gets dirty quickly and causes overheat.

Don't know what kind of roof this will have, if rubber look for general condition of roof and all seals around openings. Look for any signs of leaks.

Check all components AC, Water Heater, Furnace, Refrigerators etc. Also make sure the refrigerator has had a recall done if required.

Make sure to look at the exhaust system, I just replaced my exhaust manifold due to it cracking/breaking. Common problem. Also check for any signs of fuel seeping around the lift pump located on passenger side of toward the front of the coach.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

I bought my second HR a year ago, a 2003 HR Scepter 40PWD.

I traveled across the country from one side to the other without inspection to buy it and got stuck with a diesel that had sat for awhile with less than a full tank, several filter changes and Biobor fixed that--could actually see "bits of black" through each fuel filler neck coating the sides of the tank.

I knew the four rear tires would need to be replaced, but I didn't expect a blown manifold gasket, I don't believe the OO knew about it either.

I replaced the original Monroe shocks, I'm about to upgrade the extinct Carefree One Touch awning arms with Eclipse.

In the end, I did get a really nice coach for pennies on the dollar, not the original purchase price the OO paid of $227,000!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

Yeah, I knew about checking for mold inside the cabinets.
I had heard about one of the radiators getting dirtier than the other, just didn't remember which one, thanks.
I'm not sure what the lift pump is you're speaking of??

Keep'em coming. I've RV'd since 1997, but still have LOTS to learn!!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The lift pump is what primes the fuel pump, on mine it runs for ~30 seconds while you are waiting to start the engine. It is located on the upper portion of the engine block, passenger side right behind the transmission. It is a known problem with the 8.3 engine.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:03 AM   #7

I failed to mention, It is the Endeavor 40PBD.
The seller didn't know (or remember) the model. So, I got the VIN from him & I called Monaco, they gave me the model. VIN says it's the 330 Cat on F/L chassis.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:23 AM   #8

There are at least a couple of us here with this exact coach. Ask away.

Slide seals seem to be a common problem. Water leaks will destroy the OSB floor underlayment beneath the slides, leading to much disassembly and destruction to effect repairs. This is a major problem at the kitchen end of the forward slide. Once the ceramic tile beneath the sink begins to separate from the floor, the slide roller under the sink will shatter the tile until there is nothing left but shards. Access for repair is very difficult. IMO, this is a walk-away scenario unless you are actively seeking a remodeling project.

Mine has a 7.2 liter CAT 3126B with no lift pump, so the 8.3 comment probably does not not apply. This is the last year of the Freightliner chassis before switching to Monaco's Roadmaster. Aluminum house framing and roof. Rear radiator with slobber tube properly extended past the radiator.

The thing that I like most about this model is its relative simplicity. It's not a giant tangle of interconnected systems that fail in confusing ways. No multiplex, restrictive emissions equipment, etc.

I'm less happy with some of the design decisions. Monaco could have made a lot of small changes that would make the inevitable failures a bit more graceful and greatly simplify repairs. I don't think it's far out of line for this era, but there are many opportunities for improvement. Television over the driver's seat is a total failure unless you have the optional curb-side j-sofa. The slide wall blocks the view from the road-side sofa. A lot of the interior is wood grain contact paper instead of real wood. This is a mixed blessing for me, because it really can't be repaired when it gets damaged, but I'm also not hesitant to tear into it with a sawzall when it gets in my way.

If you search for my posts, you can see a bit of what I am doing with my 40 PBD. Please feel free to PM for more info.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

Tags
holiday rambler