Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

Extreme Cold Weather Heat with Oasis Electric Elements Only

Currently have my King Aire stored inside an unheated building with outside temperature approaching -10 degrees. I have the heat set at 50 degrees with both Oasis electric elements operating only, no burner turned on.(30 amp service) Unable to check temps in the coach as I am out of town. Curious if anyone else is heating with ONLY the electric elements and what kind of temperature you can maintain in this brutally cold weather.
YabbaDabbaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure how much heat you can get out of electric elements in Ohio with -minus degree temps outside your storage building.
50* temp setting is not to high and if higher maynot get the heat you need.
All cabinet doors open where plumbing located and all zones working may keep things warm enough.
We will see if the weather will only warm up, keep fingers crossed and no lost of power next few days.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

Similar situation as you, coach in Hilton Head with heat set to 62 degrees and Oasis electrical elements only. Outside temps running high 20's to low 30's with the inside staying at 59-61 degrees according to our remote temp sensor. So I am seeing a delta of ~ 30 degrees. Coach is closed up and tanks/lines drained.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #4

Wayne thanks for the info. Last month with temps around 18 degrees I was able to maintain 55 degrees in the coach with both Oasis elements on and no burner.
YabbaDabbaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YabbaDabbaDo View Post
Currently have my King Aire stored inside an unheated building with outside temperature approaching -10 degrees. I have the heat set at 50 degrees with both Oasis electric elements operating only, no burner turned on.(30 amp service) Unable to check temps in the coach as I am out of town. Curious if anyone else is heating with ONLY the electric elements and what kind of temperature you can maintain in this brutally cold weather.
We are storing in the same way as you are, 30 amp service, two electric elements going and 50 degrees set on thermostat. We are inside a closed bldg, but not heated. Our temps for the last 5 days have been single digits at night and high teens to low twenties in the day. We have maintained 50 degrees in the coach so far. Our coldest night was 3 degrees with a high that day of 18. This is not as cold as you will be in your area, and this is about as cold as it will normally get here in NE Oklahoma.
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDents4U View Post
We are storing in the same way as you are, 30 amp service, two electric elements going and 50 degrees set on thermostat. We are inside a closed bldg, but not heated. Our temps for the last 5 days have been single digits at night and high teens to low twenties in the day. We have maintained 50 degrees in the coach so far. Our coldest night was 3 degrees with a high that day of 18. This is not as cold as you will be in your area, and this is about as cold as it will normally get here in NE Oklahoma.
So quick question if I just run my oasis with both ac1/2 in the on position and turn the burner off the electric element will pick up in the oasis for heat? Plugged in to 50 amp in garage not climate controlled. Thank you..good luck guys
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMARDS3724 View Post
So quick question if I just run my oasis with both ac1/2 in the on position and turn the burner off the electric element will pick up in the oasis for heat? Plugged in to 50 amp in garage not climate controlled. Thank you..good luck guys
The Oasis will operate and provide heat off the two electric elements, they have much less BTU capability as compared to the diesel burner, but as you have read the electrical elements will heat the coach to a certain extent depending on OAT.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #8

I am confused here....

You folks with the heat on using just the AC elements-is your Dometic wall thermostat set on furnace? I thought the Oasis burner had to be on to use the furnace function.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I am confused here....

You folks with the heat on using just the AC elements-is your Dometic wall thermostat set on furnace? I thought the Oasis burner had to be on to use the furnace function.
I am new to Newmar (well 8 months) so I can tell you how I am operating my LADP since I do not know how the Ventana works. I have Silverleaf and can select heat or Air Conditioning from there. For heat, down to 40 degrees, my heat pumps are primary and provide heat for the coach. Lower than 40 degrees, the heat pumps will lock out and the Oasis takes over. I have the Oasis set through the Silverleaf panel for the 2 AC elements. This is because I am away from coach and did not want to run the diesel burner and not be there to monitor. This is holding the coach at 60 degrees inside with OAT at 29 degrees.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #10

My NADP does NOT keep up with AC-only Oasis in those temperatures. If you keep the drawers/doors around the fridge, W/D, dishwasher, under the sinks open, I doubt anything will freeze unless it stayed at -10 for 24 hours. With those closed, you'll likely go below 40 behind the W/D and fridge (assuming they're on outside walls). My bedroom temp sensor got down to 38 when I was dealing with overnight lows of -2 to -4 ... The wet bay kept up just fine.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your Dometic wall thermostat has to be set on furnace. It will operated with or without the burner on. I currently have mine set to use the two electrical elements only. I do sometimes use a combination of the electrical elements and the burner. I believe the electrical elements might sense the cool down and come on ahead of the burner. I say this by seeing the element light on before the burner starts.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spent a few nights in St Louis over holidays with temps as low as -7F. Below about +15F, the burner would fault (red Flame Out light). Useing both AC elements, temps inside got down to about 50F. Got acouple of space heaters but all outlets seem to be on L2, so had to watch load on that leg to ensure CB didnt trip. ITR couldnt figure out why burner was faulting. Heading South. With temps staying above +15, burner is working fine. Go figure. Yes, i have anti-gel in the tank.

Tags
cold weather, electric, element, heat