Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How do you do it? -Ford Support

After several attempts with various Ford Dealerships for F53 chassis work, I finally called Ford Customer service and was told I needed to take it to one the Ford Commercial repair shops. The closest to me being Albuquerque or Odessa, some 250 miles a day. They did say if I found a local RV repair they could call Ford and they may approve the warranty work.

My issue is my steering wheel is canted about 30 degrees, it drives true, just annoying. (Came that way)

Is this common or am I the unlucky one for living too far from a Ford Commercial activity?

Thanks.

Jim
Warmrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately it depends on where you live. I am surprised though that any local shops capable of handling an RV can't take care of steering wheel alignment when they do the alignment on your coach. I have seen other posts on other Forums on how they took care of the same problem.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #3

Common. Most auto dealers cannot get a large vehicle into their shops.

I have a commercial dealer closer than you but prefer to use a local tire shop for most of my work. They do heavy truck tires and basic repairs, oil changes and inspections so they have a shop that will handle large box trucks or a mid size or larger MH. Look around your area and you may find something similar. Not sure if they would do the steering wheel. Medium sized truck alignment shop might be who you want there. Look for somebody who does truck suspensions and give them a call. Most will talk to you and either do the work or tell you who does around town.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #4

A ford dealer wouldn't do that on warranty for me. There are threads in the F-53 forum on how to fix it. It is different than on most cars. But you might have to pay for it yourself. Good luck.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I’ll be using the local RV guy and hoping for the best. He says it is not an issue to fix it, I’ll realign my baseline on warranty value (and check the F53 threads.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Jim-

This thread should apply:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/late-...ng-351074.html
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Searching for close local RV repairs on my Class-C, I found an alignment shop that had the tall doors/ bay and said they would work on RVs; most that I looked at/ called, including Ford auto dealers, had short doors and/ or no R services.
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Searching for close local RV repairs on my Class-C, I found an alignment shop that had the tall doors/ bay and said they would work on RVs; most that I looked at/ called, including Ford auto dealers, had short doors and/ or no R services.
It would have to be a center that services Commercial Medium Duty Box/Delivery Trucks not the consumer car, SUV, van and pickup service centers.

You may want to search here selecting Motorhome Class A under vehicles serviced:
https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/findDealer/init
Old 12-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim,

I do understand that you may not be technically up to fixing this issue and may want warranty to fix it but here's my take and others will or already have agreed.

You now own a MH it is a big box on wheels and many of the things you have fixed in your stick and bricks home are very much the same on a MH. If you don't feel capable or competent maybe it's time to build your skills.

Fixing the off center SW is fairly simple. It's a spline shaft held together with a 13-mm (1/2") nut and bolt. You remove the nut, bolt and gently pry the collar up and disconnect the steering shaft from the top of the steering gear box which is under the drivers side wheel. Have your helper turn the steering wheel centered and hold it while you just lower the collar and insert the bolt, and nut.

You have already been pointed to an excellent thread on how to fix it. It takes about 30 minutes to do and after you've done it you'll say, "Well that was easy.

If one owns a MH here's a word to the wise. Fix what you can even if you believe or think it should be done by a dealer under warranty. Many time the owners who really does care how the MH is fixed will do a much better job that a dealer and much faster.

Yes we have had some items fixed under warrant. Two slide issues, the chassis AC and a paint scratch. Everything else we have repaired and will continue to do so.

This forum will or can be a life saver!!!!!

One other point regarding why some shops won't work on a MH. They don't want the issues of body scratches and grease getting on interior carpets and upholstery. With heavy duty trucks they don't worry about that stuff.

I also don't buy, "We don't have a big enough shop." As long as it's not to cold or raining cats and dogs what's wrong with a guy crawling under a MH to change oil and lube the chassis??? I've done it for years.

TeJay
Old 12-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
what's wrong with a guy crawling under a MH to change oil and lube the chassis??? I've done it for years.

TeJay
We full time always with hookups; however, oil & filter changes I manage to do with the help of a Fumoto drain valve. No mess and no problem with any RV park, so far.
Lube chassis requires lifting front wheels off the ground and crawling under...not for me.
Brake fluid change every two years, I'll leave to a Ford tech.
Since I barely qualify as an "amateur", it gives me peace of mind to know a professional is periodically checking my steering, suspension and brakes.

No offense intended "TeJay"
Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
cenfl,

Love the Fumoto valve as well and no offense taken!!! We each have choices and at least we still do!!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #12

My warranty baseline has been calibrated. I will feel better doing most the works myself. I’ll save the warranty work for the major fixes. Thanks all ... glad I didn’t get the extended warranty.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have found (some) that said " No work outside of shop in parking area, per insurance regs" (including some WM, and some WM w/ low doors); where other WM w/ tall doors will do Class-C tires, oil change and other repairs within their capabilities. Have found others that will work in parking lot, and equipped for nothing else w/ trucks/ RVs, and other WM w/ Tall doors that say "No RVs, period"..
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #14

Thank you for all the replies. The shop centered my steering wheel. It was an inexpensive test to see if the would consider them for potential future work, although Ford would not accept them for warranty work. I’m not adverse to doing the work, it was more finding some maintenance shop I liked. I did the CHF right after the steering wheel alignment and noticed an immediate difference. Just got back from a trip to Lake Havasu/ Las Vegas/ Sedona and the MH tracked true. Steering wheel centered well. Just a little push when passed by a semi. Not sure if anymore work would return a lot of handling improvement. Thank Guys!

Tags
ford, holiday rambler