Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
X2 on a newer fuel injected motor and headers.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not knowing exactly what the problem is, From your descriptions, I would investigate replacing the head gasket route.. A blown head gasket isn't necessarily a reason to replace the engine..

If you're a DIYer, You should be able to do this for $100..

I',m not sure about carbon deposits in the cooling passages. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me..

Pull the heads and see whats going on. ...

My questions would be:

If you fill up the cooling system, and go for a very short drive, Is the engine producing power with no issues, i.e. rod knocking, valves leaking, etc...

During the course of operation, was the engine allowed to overheat to the point it may have damaged the engine...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
How much is it worth as is? How much for the new motor installed? How much for the used motor installed? How much is it worth then?

Obviously, with a new crate motor with warranty, it's worth more than with a used engine from a junk yard with no warranty. And with the motor blown, how good is the tranny?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #18

Several of my friends have used Jasper motors with good success. Even with a junk yard motor I would rebuild it. If you decide to install a junk yard motor you could still get furl injection. Crate motor fuel injection is the best way to go.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #19

Are you positive the head gasket's are gone? This past year I thought the same thing about my 1988 460 found out it was just the intake manifold gasket was gone. Have you done a pressure test on the cylinder's? I don't want to insult you but do you have the ability to work on motor's, are you mechanically inclined and up for a challenge ? If your coach is in that good of shape and you doing work on it your self I would defiantly try to save the motor in the coach first, then go from there. Best of luck there is a lot of help here just shout out .
Old 02-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
... My preference would be to go 1 size bigger on a new or rebuilt motor. ...
I doubt there are any 'bigger' engines, but the 460 was a very popular engine and I'm sure there are several sources for crate engines. If you can do the installation it should not be that expensive.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #21

There is no 1 size bigger , 460 was Fords largest displacement production engine
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #22

460's are very tough old engines anything short of running without oil can be fixed in frame Ive had 460's in everything from mustangs to truck puller not that hard to work on lot's of parts out there new hp heads will get you lot of power
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #23

Hey y’all I herd something about a rall in May in South Carolina how o I register and find out more about it?
Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well you have two choices. NEW or USED. NEW the engine will likely run 8-10 thousand by itself now days.

used. Well the most expensive USED I found as 7 thousand plus labor

The one I put in was 7 thousand WITH labor and . Well I could have wrangled a dicount off thast.. Of c oure mine is a workhorse, install from bottom, not top, and 8.1L Vortec..
Old 02-23-2018, 05:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
There is no 1 size bigger , 460 was Fords largest displacement production engine
Well as far as Fords go thats is correct. However, a GM 502 will go in without much difficulty. Other larger than 460's will work too with a relatively cheap adapter plate. The issue for us is obvious. As far as $$$ goes, there is NO WAY a rebuild or new or Jasper motor makes sense. The problem for us is we love doing the "camping thing" A new or used unit just isn't in the cards right now. Sooooooooo, for us to get back on the road even 10K is the least expensive route. We are not willing to take a chance with a used unit and expose ourselves to this same dilemma. :banged:
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
Well as far as Fords go thats is correct. However, a GM 502 will go in without much difficulty. Other larger than 460's will work too with a relatively cheap adapter plate. The issue for us is obvious. As far as $$$ goes, there is NO WAY a rebuild or new or Jasper motor makes sense. The problem for us is we love doing the "camping thing" A new or used unit just isn't in the cards right now. Sooooooooo, for us to get back on the road even 10K is the least expensive route. We are not willing to take a chance with a used unit and expose ourselves to this same dilemma. :banged:

Harris

Your kidding right ?
Just an adapter plate
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As Stepside alluded, switching to a non-Ford motor will require countless modifications that would double or triple the cost. You would have to buy all the engine accessories, brackets etc.

I would replace the head gasket and have the head re-surfaced while it was out. No need to remove the engine for that.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler