Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #1

Changing tire size

Hello, I have a 2005 hoiday rambler I'm looking at, right now it has 295/80/22.5, they are old and cracked and need replacing, can I,put a bigger tire on the front steers, I have two tires brand new in a 315/80/22.5
Tim holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim holmes View Post
Hello, I have a 2005 hoiday rambler I'm looking at, right now it has 295/80/22.5, they are old and cracked and need replacing, can I,put a bigger tire on the front steers, I have two tires brand new in a 315/80/22.5
There are several members here who have done just that. Mike Canter comes to mind as one so if he doesn't respond try sending him a PM.

In few cases from what I have heard/read there is an issue with the front tires contacting an air bag on the front suspension but it seems to be pretty hit and miss as to those that have the issue. Again, not on every unit and pretty random.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

We have an 05 navigator. They definitle rub on the airbag steel pads and make a loud noise to let me know

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Only thing I can think of is when you dump the air the clearance with the fender may be very tight, especially if the steering is not centered.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Tim,

I see you have an Imperial which is the same as the Dynasty (I think). Here is a post about going to the 315s on a Dynasty but it's a 2008 so your results maybe different.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/08-dy...sue-90396.html
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We put the 315's on our 2009 HR Navigator a few months ago. So far, 2,000 miles, no rubbing, no issues. I do make sure the tires are not turned at all when leveling.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #7

Like Mike Canter, I swapped the 295s for 315s. Only issue I had was with one of the two mud flaps behind the passenger wheel. When making a left turn the edge of the tire would trap the lower flap and make it rub on the tread. I had to remove the rivets, pull off the flap, and I heated it and bent it so the lower flap is now curved slightly towards the rear and trapped behind the upper flap.

Took about an hour.

No issues with rubbing on the airbags. My Patriot Thunder has the S Series chassis. Some of the tag axle Monaco coaches had the RR10 and it was a little different.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When it comes to changing tire sizes there are a few considerations:

Do the entire axle: Check, you plan on that.
Make sure you have the room.. A larger tire may tend to rub up against stuff (not good) epically on hard (to lock) turns.
Three Load rating. A larger tire may have a higher load rating (Good) (Since you are purposing larger I won't bother with the inverse).
Finally Tire Pressure. The larger tire may need a different pressure for the same load (Scale it and inflate to chart plus 5 PSI)

I have gone with different sizes on both cars and trailers, Never a problem. On trailers where I went bigger (After insuring room) it solved a problem (load rating).

Oh, one other thing.

You may need to re-align the headlights after changing the tires.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The thread referred to above is very informative and there is also another one in Monaco area I think. Our dynasty would not clear by about 1/4" on the right front lower airbag mount at ride height. Others I have read like an executive did clear ok, I guess you might want to get tires specs, and have someone turn the tire slowly and watch for the minimum clearance and compare that to the specs of the larger tire. I chose to stay with the 295 in front, my goal was to get more weight capacity in front with less air pressure but would have also had to change to 9.25" wheels to take full advantage of that in most cases. Bridgestone dealer would not mount the 315 on an 8?" wheel, per manufacturer specs. Michelin does not get full value of the 315 weight capacity without the 9.25" wheel. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert

Tags
holiday rambler