Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor

Looking at a 2013 endeavor with a Navistar engine Lazy days say they are great engines, my friends tell me to stay away they are trouble anyone with experience with the engines or the endeavor
JimGrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Have a 2013 Ambassador with the 350 turbo. No complaints. Like not having to deal with DEF. Had the engine and trans computers updated at the 419 Maintenance Rally last May. These engines have been in trucks for many years. They(Inernational) dropped a 450 (?) hp as could not meet the emissions
Old 07-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As mentioned this Maxxfroce engine has been around for a while, dump trucks, school buses etc. It's a medium duty diesel built like larger diesels. Mine is the 405 HP with 1250 ft. lbs. I'm averaging 9.5-10.4 MPG on the highway. They have a design life of 550,000 miles with a 100,000 mile, 5 year warranty. I like not having to deal with the DEF as is required in CAT's and Cummins. These 9.3L engines are great. Don't worry.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've been very pleased with the performance of my Maxxforce 10. No issues in 15,000 miles.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The MaxxForce 10 will be no more trouble that a Cummins or a Cat, maybe less given they do not have a DEF system. You will hear negative comments from many non-owners but rarely from the actual owners. Navistar has had issues in the last 4 years related to the MaxxForce 13 emissions fiasco. Never an actual issue with the engines, just the new emissions system on the 13 didn't pass.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #6

We have 23,000 miles on our 2011 Monaco Knight. I think it is a very good engine. Has a higher torque than similar HP Cummins.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Maxxforce 10 engine

Beware of what year engine(coach) you purchase;we have a 2012 Monaco Knight PDQ with a Navistar/International Maxxforce 10 Diesel engine.I feel it is absolute junk and so do countless trucking Co's,who are presently suing the company for ten's millions.International has already payed out billions in warranty work and in settled lawsuits.We have broken down three times and three times had it repaired at International Service Centers,for the same problems.We are presently broken down for the fourth time and have secured legal counsel to bring suit against them for a new engine.I cannot express my absolute discuss with Navistar/International and their junk lemon engine.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
It is unfortunate that you are having so many problems with your MaxxForce. Navistar/International has dropped the MaxxForce 15, as there were problems with it. Mainly with the emissions, which could not meet the federal standard. These engines were never installed in the Holiday/Monaco units. The series 15 were for heavy trucking, which is where the law suits originate. I have over 15,000 and am very happy with my MaxxForce 10. AS mentioned above, I had both engine and tranny computers updated with latest software, and am still satisfied with my choice of purchase. There are many like me who are satisfied, and I believe a small number who are not. What ever is the reoccurring problem, I hope that you resolve the problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
nena,

It would be helpful if you would state exactly what happen those three time. "broken down three times" doesn't provide any useful information.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #10

Have 14000 miles on Maxxforce 10 in 2012 40dft knight with no problems and happy with the performance. Tow a jeep wrangler.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #11

radiator from 96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor I just purchased, new radiator weights 20.4 lbs, this one with gunk included weight 28 lbs, 80,,000 miles.
Seadog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nena View Post
Beware of what year engine(coach) you purchase;we have a 2012 Monaco Knight PDQ with a Navistar/International Maxxforce 10 Diesel engine.I feel it is absolute junk and so do countless trucking Co's,who are presently suing the company for ten's millions.International has already payed out billions in warranty work and in settled lawsuits.We have broken down three times and three times had it repaired at International Service Centers,for the same problems.We are presently broken down for the fourth time and have secured legal counsel to bring suit against them for a new engine.I cannot express my absolute discuss with Navistar/International and their junk lemon engine.
Maybe you can share what recurring problem you are experiencing. I'm not aware of billions in warranty issues that have been settled via lawsuits re Navistar. I'm aware that there were major issues with the ford 6.0 built by Navistar. Ford and Navistar fought it out in court over what Ford considered excessive warranty costs.
Most of us have experienced very little trouble with the maxxforce engines. We have nearly 20k on ours and the only problem has been a loose wire between the ECM and the turbo.
What did happen, is that Navistar failed to meet 2010 EPA standards on their big block engines and that failure caused them to lose market share nearly bankrupting the company. However, I believe the MF 7 and 10 meet this standard without the required use of DEF.
Is Navistar refusing to repair your unit? If that's the case I can understand your frustration
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGrandon View Post
Looking at a 2013 endeavor with a Navistar engine Lazy days say they are great engines, my friends tell me to stay away they are trouble anyone with experience with the engines or the endeavor
For the OP, the only "problem" I have had is to do 2 parked regen's. I believe they were mostly self inflicted. This engine, 405 HP, seems to be sensitive to excessive idling. There are some comments under other topic(s) that basically say DON"T idle and drive it like you stole it.

I don't have the miles that others that have commented have but so far I am happy.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #14

I just purchased my 2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40DFT and it appears to be a bit sluggish taking off and going up grades greater than 5%. Was the software update done under warranty and how can you tell if it needs updating?
eddie0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler