Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2015 HR Vacationer Electrical Issues

Hi All,
This is my first post. I recently purchased a 2015 HR Vacationer, Ford Chassis with Triton V10. We have owned a couple of travel trailers, but this is our first Motorhome. I am having an issue where most of the switches and the radio on the drivers console are not working and the power slide out steps are not working either. I suspect there are other items that are apparently not getting power, but I've only noticed these two items initially.

Here's the back story. I am preparing the rig for winter storage. I removed the house batteries (2) to keep stored inside over the winter. I put in the Stabil fuel additive and took the rig around the block a couple of times to move the Stabil through the fuel system. During that trip, everything seem to be fine from an electrical standpoint.

The next day, I open the door and the stairs do not come out. After investigating the issue, I realize that the majority of the console switches (generator, blinds, interior lights, etc.,) and the radio are not getting power. Air conditioner switches do work, instrument panel cluster is fine.
I removed and checked every single fuse and switch that I could find in the chassis (power distribution box, passenger compartment fuse panel, etc.) and all checked out. I did not check the relays.

I then put the house batteries back in and as you might expect everything started working again. If I hit the disconnect switch for the house batteries, things stop working again. These items should work off of the engine battery alone and did for a day at least.
What am I missing? Thoughts?
domsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

All those things are normally powered by the chassis (engine start) battery. The only link between them should be an auxiliary start (aka "Momentary") switched relay (solenoid).

Since the 2015 Vacationer is a totally new design its hard to be sure just how everything is wired, but things like the step power source are dictated by RVIA standards.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Where are you located? If the batteries are fully charged, they won't freeze over winter. I'd put them back in the RV and just disconnect cables or invest in a mechanical shut off right on the battery post.

You issue might be on which battery bank powers the disconnect relays. Removing the house batteries could have rendered the relays dead.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome. We live just north of Pittsburgh. A lot of what I read online - in these forums, suggested that the batteries be removed and kept in a heated environment if not being used for an extended amount of time over the winter. If that's not true, even better, because those suckers are heavy and difficult to remove.
domsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Batteries

Hi domsrs

My wife and I just purchased our new 2015 Vacationer (36 SBT) about a week ago. It is our first motor home and I am new to the forums here.

Just a shot in the dark, but try starting the engine to see if the electrical works. The on-board battery bank system has an isolation switch that separates the house battery bank from the starter battery when the alternator is not operating. It does this so you won't kill the starter battery if you happen to leave the house system operating too long. When the alternator is operational, it energizes the middle input post of the Isolation switch which in turn combines the House Bank with the start battery.

Theoretically, starting the engine will energize the house bank side of the isolator.

Let me know if it works - I pick mine up next week(ish).

Best
Scotty
ScottyB410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, electrical, holiday rambler