Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave,
I sent you a private message with my email address.

The Allison transmission in my coach is a 2100MH. The standard engine transmission on the Vacationer Diesel in 2008 was the 5.9L Cummins with the Allison 1000MH transmission but my unit was ordered with an upgrade for the 6.7L Cummins with the Allison 2100MH transmission.

On diesel fuel, I usually run regular ULSD without any additives. Occasionally, I'll add something to clean the injectors. We rarely find biodiesel in Louisiana but I did have to run some diesel that contained biodiesel during our trip when we were up north. I was not crazy about running biodiesel but then again I didn't really notice any performance difference. I asked one of the truckers about it at a truck stop and he said that it really has not caused him any problems but that I may see reduced MPGs with biodiesel blends. Speaking of fuel mileage, for the 3200 mile round trip I mentioned in my earlier post, we averaged 9.58MPG. Individual tanks ranged from 8.43MPG to 12.69MPG. When I fill up, I keep adding fuel until I can see it in the filler neck after the foam settles down so I know it is full. We now have 18,700 miles on our MH so I think the engine is still "breaking in" until around 25,000 miles. During the entire trip we were pulling a 1974 VW Beetle as a toad. I think it weighs about 1800-1900 pounds.

For your question on weights, the sticker in my coach has the following: UVW 20,036#, GVWR 23,000#, CCC 1884#, and GCWR 28,000#. I had my unit weighed at a CAT scale with all our stuff in it, full fuel tank, almost full fresh water tank, empty black & grey holding tanks, and my wife & I in the MH. The scale weight came to 22,020#. The label on the hitch on our unit states that it is rated at 5,000# with max tongue weight of 500#. For a recent event, I towed a '68 Mustang convertible on a steel deck car trailer (4,000# estimated weight) and the MH drove fine. The only thing I noticed is that the rear end height at the hitch came down about 1 inch. If you email me that brochure you mentioned, I can email back a picture of the weight label from my MH.

----- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Welcome Dave, I'm also fairly new to the MH experience. The third letter in the model designation represent the number of slides, D= Double, T= Triple, Q= Quad.

Our 2008 Monaco Cayman XL 35SBD with Cummins 5.9 ltr Turbo diesel and Allison 6 speed transmission does a fine job pulling our toad up Eastern US Mts. One trip to central Tenn from Delaware and one trip to Bar Harbor Maine went fine with 10-11 mpg.

The SBD floor plan works well for the DW and I. She likes the wall of cabinets for storage. A Triple or Quad slide might have more room around the bed but there is alway a pro and con to each layout.

Enjoy the search for your new coach.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #17

Thanks Mason
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:37 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Dave, the Monaco Cayman is basically the HR Neptune. Both are air suspension 4 bag 4 shock systems, one step up from the LaPalma / Vacationer with leaf spring suspension. The Allison transmission is heavier and the tow ratings is higher so I would say the frame is possibly heavier. I'm glad we went with a DP over gas and no DEF either. Everything comes with a price so find what fits your liking and budget and enjoy.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #19

Good Morning Ben, Thanks for the information on your unit I'll have to see what I can dig up on it. We would love to put a diesel in the RV barn.... but we have to find one that fits first :-) Another issue is how much will we use it.. right now we have a hard time finding a few days a month to camp locally in our TT because of our schedules. My wife would love to take off for weeks at a time but that is a bit difficult for us right now with all we have going on here.

There isn't much of a market for the manufacturers for small, shorter diesel coachs and the frame, engine and components are all about the same weather you get a 35, 38 or 40 ft other than perhaps a heavier frame.. so, they can sell the larger ones for more so that is what they focus on. I my have mentioned but in the early 90's I had bought a 30' Monoco Dynasty with a diesel and allison transmission.. we had so many issues we let it go... It has been in the last couple years that we have picked up camping again and started with a nice little 26' Jayco TT and it has worked well for us and we already had the truck to pull it with.

We are at a point where I have some time to explore, research and look at what is available.. I have had many that tell us to get a diesel used before 2011 (no def) and there seems to be quite a few on the market so were looking. I have also found some of the new Gas on the 26,000 lb chassis with 22.5" wheels and the Ford drive train which look nice.... no doubt the difference between diesel and gas on capacities are quite different but with our short trips and only a few days at best a month folks say having a diesel sitting around can do more damage over time, so I have to keep that in mind.

You bring up a good point on suspension I guess that is something I have not been looking close at. Every time I come on here I learn something else..

So thanks for all your information I do appreciate your time and experience.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #20

Jim, hopefully by now you have received my email and the brochures I had sent along, it was on the 07 and 08 units... unfortunately the brochures don't really compare the two years and so I have to just go by the specs I see there.

You really hit the big time with the engine and transmission upgrade in your coach.. that is great, the units I've seen so far have been the standard build engines and transmissions so I am assuming it is what is stated on the brochures.

Also, thanks for the weight information on your coach I'm not sure how much CCC is really needed unless one is going to go full time and has to have all their stuff with them... when we go out for a few days at a time we take a small suitcase with enough close for the time were out and food to eat along with my wife's guitar and we hit the road.. I imagine if we were to take a longer trip we would need more but like my wife says there is a Sams, Costco and Walmart always close for the times you forgot something.

I'm not sure how popular bio diesel is at the truck stops and gas stations I guess I'' have to start to look at the pumps to see. I didn't even think about fuel mileage difference between regular diesel and biodiesel but I guess it's like pure gas and ethanol loaded fuel. 10-11 mpg is proably what I get with my truck and trailer set up on average so that is good to hear... I know somefolks claim more but I"m sure its all depending where and how you drive.

Well your points on the 07 vs 08 are interesting and something to watch out for and the one here in town being an 07 it makes me wonder what it's configuration is.

In town we have a couple of "Bus" manufactures and service, they run a lot of the "Star/Artist/Band" buses out of here and it looks like they work on diesel RV's I might call them and see if they offer an inspection service.. most of the folks say in buying a used unit it would be a good idea to get a good 3rd party inspection before purchasing any unit and I think that is a good idea even if it cost a few thousand dollars you would know if there were any issues that would cost a lot more down the road... Did you do that?

Anyway, thanks for all your input and information I look forward to sharing any info I find on the units as we search for one that can fit our needs.

Have a great day.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
Dave,
I sent you a private message with my email address.

The Allison transmission in my coach is a 2100MH. The standard engine transmission on the Vacationer Diesel in 2008 was the 5.9L Cummins with the Allison 1000MH transmission but my unit was ordered with an upgrade for the 6.7L Cummins with the Allison 2100MH transmission.

On diesel fuel, I usually run regular ULSD without any additives. Occasionally, I'll add something to clean the injectors. We rarely find biodiesel in Louisiana but I did have to run some diesel that contained biodiesel during our trip when we were up north. I was not crazy about running biodiesel but then again I didn't really notice any performance difference. I asked one of the truckers about it at a truck stop and he said that it really has not caused him any problems but that I may see reduced MPGs with biodiesel blends. Speaking of fuel mileage, for the 3200 mile round trip I mentioned in my earlier post, we averaged 9.58MPG. Individual tanks ranged from 8.43MPG to 12.69MPG. When I fill up, I keep adding fuel until I can see it in the filler neck after the foam settles down so I know it is full. We now have 18,700 miles on our MH so I think the engine is still "breaking in" until around 25,000 miles. During the entire trip we were pulling a 1974 VW Beetle as a toad. I think it weighs about 1800-1900 pounds.

For your question on weights, the sticker in my coach has the following: UVW 20,036#, GVWR 23,000#, CCC 1884#, and GCWR 28,000#. I had my unit weighed at a CAT scale with all our stuff in it, full fuel tank, almost full fresh water tank, empty black & grey holding tanks, and my wife & I in the MH. The scale weight came to 22,020#. The label on the hitch on our unit states that it is rated at 5,000# with max tongue weight of 500#. For a recent event, I towed a '68 Mustang convertible on a steel deck car trailer (4,000# estimated weight) and the MH drove fine. The only thing I noticed is that the rear end height at the hitch came down about 1 inch. If you email me that brochure you mentioned, I can email back a picture of the weight label from my MH.

----- Jim

Tags
cat, holiday rambler