Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2009 Navigator

I'm going to see a 2009 Navigator tomorrow and have been going over the build sheet and noticed it says the coach only has one 2800 watt invertor. Although it's not an "all electric" coach it did come from the factory with a "residential refrigerator W/AGM option costing $2272. The coach also has a stacked Maytag Washer & Dryer. Does anyone know why the coach would only have the one invertor?
Thanks...Bob
RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That's all it needs. The all electric coaches use induction cook tops and add more batteries, requiring a second inverter. There is nothing on the Navigator that would require another inverter.

Typically, the difference between the Navigator and a lower end model is that the Navigator comes with a PSW inverter vs an MSW.

My 2014 has all the new electronics, but is just short of being all electric with a propane cook top. Mine has the same inverter as the Navigator.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't count the inverters - count the watts needed to operate the appliances you want to use. And then figure whether there are enough batteries to make meaningful use of those watts.

It takes about 250 amps (continuous) from the batteries to deliver full 2800 watts. A typical 460 amp-hour battery bank can produce that much amperage for only a few minutes before the battery voltage drops to an unusable level (under about 10v).

I think you will find that a single 2800 watt inverter is plenty for both the needs and the available battery power.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I thought the refrigerator pulled around 1200-1500 watts, and the microwave at least 1200 watts leaving little room for anything else. The build sheet says it is a 2800 watt Pure Sine unit. SO you're thinking i wouldn't have any "brown outs" if refrig. is running, the washer or dryer is in use, and I wanted to microwave something to eat?
The sales brochure indicates just 2 6 volt deep cycle batts for the coach and then just says "additional Batteries" if it has an electric refrigerator
Old 12-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You're over estimating what the inverter is capable of. You would use the generator to do laundry, the inverter will run the microwave 1200 watts, and the fridge 500 watts together. It is not designed to run all appliances at once, especially when you get to the larger demand items like the washer and dryer. My coach is not all electric and has the residential fridge and has 8 house batteries because of it. I can run the microwave and the fridge together. When you use it like that, the batteries don't last long. It is really designed well to run the fridge and then power your TV and Dish box. Can run a hair dryer as well, just keep your watts below the stated 2800. Randy
Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

2009 Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
I'm going to see a 2009 Navigator tomorrow and have been going over the build sheet and noticed it says the coach only has one 2800 watt invertor. Although it's not an "all electric" coach it did come from the factory with a "residential refrigerator W/AGM option costing $2272. The coach also has a stacked Maytag Washer & Dryer. Does anyone know why the coach would only have the one invertor?

Thanks...Bob

You may have an overly optimistic idea of how much and what you can power reasonably with an inverter. Low draw electronics are the best. Resistive loads like electric heat or inductive like motors will drain the' batteries in short order. The conversion of 12 VDC to 120 VAC is not very efficient. Even with a big investment in solar to feed the battery bank, the big loads are just not practical. What are the house batteries? Monaco went to L16 batteries at some point.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Randy & Steve for your input. I won't know until I get there tomorrow PM to see how many and what size the Batteries are. And I wasn't thinking very clearly when stating I would want to run Micro./refrig./and Washer/Dryer at the same time off just battery power. But just to be sure, I should be able to run all at once if hooked to shore power or running the Generator, correct?
Bob
Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
Thanks Randy & Steve for your input. I won't know until I get there tomorrow PM to see how many and what size the Batteries are. And I wasn't thinking very clearly when stating I would want to run Micro./refrig./and Washer/Dryer at the same time off just battery power. But just to be sure, I should be able to run all at once if hooked to shore power or running the Generator, correct?

Bob

Bob,

On 50 amp shore or generator you can run most everything. Generally if you run the W/D either the mid or rear A/C will turn off. If you are on 30 amp power, you will have to exercise power management.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

I would be surprised the outlets for your washer & dryer can even be powered by the inverter.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I would be surprised the outlets for your washer & dryer can even be powered by the inverter.
I suspect you're right! Hopefully, I find out tomorrow!

Tags
holiday rambler