Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
84' Holiday Rambler, Need help locating GFI

1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial travel trailer.
I opened the little door for the central vac, it started up and it killed power to all the outlets and ac lights primarily in the rear of the camper and one outlet in the near the stove.
I found the AC breakers, and dc fuse panel and they are all working properly with voltage. What I can't find for the life of me is a GFI. The breaker labeled, bed, bath, gfi, outside recpt, (which is what these outlets and lights are on) is leading me to believe there is a GFI and since the breakers good I'm assuming the GFI is the culprit. All the AC lights are still on in the front of the camper and those outlets work.
I have looked around at every outlet, including the one outside, I could find and find no GFI outlet to reset.
Outlet by the lamp in between the beds in the back
Outlet under the right bed for the vac
Outlet in the bathroom
Outlet above the countertop by the stove
Outlet outside
Did I miss one? Looked for an hour...

On a side note I also can't find the converter anywhere. DC power works and dc lights, although dc voltage was only around 8 volts.
Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

I found the converter location. It is under the camper, towards the front, on the battery compartment side. Accessible by laying on the ground and behind a 2 foot by 3 foot rectangular metal casing with sheet metal screws holding it to the underbody of the camper.

Lots of old caulk, this outta be fun.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
bap

happy u found it,,,we have a 66 holiday travler,,,we just picked it up this past fall it is like walking into a time capsul inside ,,but havent had the cchance to play with it yet,,
looks alot like yours,,but i need to repaint the exterior..were the 2nd owners and has all the paper work with it....just waiting on the weather to bring her out of our shed and start on her,....i think we have decided to fix her up and sell,,,it,s just to big for the dw and i we have a thing for the smaller ones...
anyway,,i responded because i may have the same isssue and now i would know to look there,,,,but under ours its all sheeted in with i think aluminium...all very , very clean for it to be a 66...
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #4

I have an HR Motorhome and I went looking for a GFI on it. I couldn't find one either. Did you look at the exterior plug?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
happy u found it,,,we have a 66 holiday travler,,,we just picked it up this past fall it is like walking into a time capsul inside ,,but havent had the cchance to play with it yet,,
looks alot like yours,,but i need to repaint the exterior..were the 2nd owners and has all the paper work with it....just waiting on the weather to bring her out of our shed and start on her,....i think we have decided to fix her up and sell,,,it,s just to big for the dw and i we have a thing for the smaller ones...
anyway,,i responded because i may have the same isssue and now i would know to look there,,,,but under ours its all sheeted in with i think aluminium...all very , very clean for it to be a 66...
The bottom of this one is also all sheeted in with metal on the bottom.
I'll post a pic. It's hard to explain. I agree with the time capsule part. It's pretty cool.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
I have an HR Motorhome and I went looking for a GFI on it. I couldn't find one either. Did you look at the exterior plug?
Yep, looked at the exterior plug. I'm hoping there's a million dollars and a gfi, hidden in the converter box I have yet to open.

The ac breaker that powers the converter is not the ac breaker that powers the ac circuit (rear outlets, ac lights), that's dead. So looking forward, if there's not some miracle reset in the hidden, hard to get at compartment, I really don't know what to look for next. There is an odd electrical box in the shore power cord compartment, which is located at the very rear of the trailer on the left side.

Ill try and put pics of my searches as I go thru it. It might help someone in the future because I've searched the web for many hours and there seems to be about zero info when it comes to this model.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #7

Look closely on the plug in the bathroom sink area
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Look closely on the plug in the bathroom sink area
I did. I took the, snap off type, outlet cover, hoping there was some weird 1980's technology on the side of the outlet or something, instead of the typical reset buttons in between the plug holes style.

You'd think a gfi would be near the sinks or outside but no luck so far.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Probably on the converter, don't know if the older units had the GFI's or not, not sure of the year they came out? I am trying to think if my old 74 Shasta had a GFI? I do not think so? Rail!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Probably on the converter, don't know if the older units had the GFI's or not, not sure of the year they came out? I am trying to think if my old 74 Shasta had a GFI? I do not think so? Rail!
I found the converter but didn't find any kind of reset..yet...
Here's a link to pics of the converter. There's an outlet for the converter, not GFI, but I figured that wouldn't be it because the converter had power. Not sure where to look anymore.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/1984-...er-232602.html
Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Here's a link to where you can see pics of where they hid the converter.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/1984-...er-232602.html

Tags
cat, gfci, gfi, holiday rambler, need help