Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

PAC brake cancels cruise - Holiday Rambler

Hi, I have a 2003 Endeavor with the 8.3. Cruise works fine without the exhaust brake engaged and the exhaust brake seems to work fine but when i turn the exhaust brake on, the cruise shuts off and wont set as long as the exhaust brake switch is on. Thoughts?? thanks in advance Gene
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

PAC brake cancels cruise - Holiday Rambler

That may be the way your coach is set up. It's definitely not the right way to do it, but I have heard of coaches set up this way.

It can probably be changed at your local Cummins shop so the brake won't knock off the cruise control. I have my Jake Brake switch on high 99% of the time, with and without the cruise control on.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #3

We have the 04 Endevour 40DST and ours works the same way as yours. I don't have an issue with it.. I don't leave our exhause brake on all the time. Also when the exhaust brakes is enabled the brake lights go on.. you may want to look into that.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On my coach, if the cruise control is on the Pac Brake won't engage until I tap the brakes. If the Pac Brake is on then the cruise won't engage until I turn the Pac Brake off.

Depending on the configuration of the system I believe the set up can be changed at a Cummins shop.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not know the circuit diagram for your MH but I do have a ckt on my blog on how to set it up to operate differently. you would have to study you owners diagrams of the setup before making mods.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grthigpen View Post

Hi, I have a 2003 Endeavor with the 8.3. Cruise works fine without the exhaust brake engaged and the exhaust brake seems to work fine but when i turn the exhaust brake on, the cruise shuts off and wont set as long as the exhaust brake switch is on. Thoughts?? thanks in advance Gene
Gene,

Unfortunately that's how it was programmed to operate.

There was a guy named Homer that was marketing the "Brake Switch" which allowed the Cruise Control to be active and also allows you to coast without the PacBrake activating but I believe he is no longer in business.

Or if you are handy you could check out ladagobago's blog and wire one up yourself for a few dollars.

Otherwise, your only recourse is to go to a Cummins shop that is familiar with the "Latching Program" and have them flash it into your ECM. It will probably cost a few hundred dollars to do it.

My coach came with the "Latching Program" already flashed into the ECM.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grthigpen View Post
grthigpen
A PacBrake is used to assist coach braking when you are slowing or stopping the coach, (aka: helps a coach slow and stop better and faster than using the service brakes alone).

Can you please explain why you want your cruise control ON when you are slowing or stopping your 2003 Endeavor?

Thanks
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #8

OK so to answer the question i want my cruise to work properly but if i hit the brakes, i want the PAC to assist, and with the current setup, its either PAC or cruise no crossover. ON means, "system activated for use"
Old 02-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"mel s".....Monaco programmed theirs back then to shut the cruise down. In later years they changed (2006 on the (Diplomat) so that you can leave the cruise switch on, just not engaged, until you hit the brakes. It's really a safety issue. If you suddenly need all of your braking in a panic stop, you have to deal with braking, driving and hunting for the exhaust brake switch which means taking one hand off of the wheel. The few seconds lost could be the difference between stopping in time or coming up a few feet farther and crashing. No foot pedals on the Monacos in that line.

My new coach actually operates the engine brake while in cruise. If I exceed 3 mph over the cruise speed, my coach will apply the engine brake and slow me down. It's great for grades. It still apples when I step on the brakes or take my foot off of the throttle when not in cruise mode.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It appears that Don has the same or standard operating PAC as on my MH.
That is why I put the Brake Switch on my system. My PAC is ready all the time and activated when I touch the pedal. If I want normal operation (like Don's) I have a foot switch (on/off like an old fashion head light dimmer). As soon as I wish to resume speed, simply apply throttle (pull the set cruise control and it releases the PAC. I never touch the instrument panel switch. I especially like the ability to "coast like in my car" and still have the PAC at the ready. It's a beautiful ride.

All that fumbling is exactly why Homer (may he rest in peace) came up with this circuit. He was driving up a hill, did not have his PAC switch engaged and as he came over the crest saw stopped traffic. He needed his PAC but was in no position to reach for the switch on the dash. He said, I did make a successful panic stop just in time. He saw the need and work on the circuit. He manufactured the "Brake Switch" encased in a small sealed box. Many folks purchased it and loved it. About five years ago, I called him and he explained this story to me and told me what really was in the box. He offered me his "LAST" switch for $79 but also said he would like to keep it as he was not going to make any more. I never heard from him again but did make my own from some simple parts just laying around our shop but with a slight modification of the ON/OFF floor switch. the diagram is offered on my blog for anyone clever enough to add it to their own MH.

Homer's website is long gone but his story goes on forever.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
It appears that Don has the same or standard operating PAC as on my MH.
That is why I put the Brake Switch on my system. My PAC is ready all the time and activated when I touch the pedal. If I want normal operation (like Don's) I have a foot switch (on/off like an old fashion head light dimmer). As soon as I wish to resume speed, simply apply throttle (pull the set cruise control and it releases the PAC. I never touch the instrument panel switch. I especially like the ability to "coast like in my car" and still have the PAC at the ready. It's a beautiful ride.
All that fumbling is exactly why Homer (may he rest in peace) came up with this circuit. He was driving up a hill, did not have his PAC switch engaged and as he came over the crest saw stopped traffic. He needed his PAC but was in no position to reach for the switch on the dash. He said, I did make a successful panic stop just in time. He saw the need and work on the circuit. He manufactured the "Brake Switch" encased in a small sealed box. Many folks purchased it and loved it. About five years ago, I called him and he explained this story to me and told me what really was in the box. He offered me his "LAST" switch for $79 but also said he would like to keep it as he was not going to make any more. I never heard from him again but did make my own from some simple parts just laying around our shop but with a slight modification of the ON/OFF floor switch. the diagram is offered on my blog for anyone clever enough to add it to their own MH.
Homer's website is long gone but his story goes on forever.
to the "BrakeSwich" by Homer.

I have Homer's "BrakeSwitch" insalled on my coach which allows my PacBrake to work automatically with my cruise control, (as Ladagobago describes in the above post).

However the Exhaust Brake Mode in the Cruise Control Parameters of the ECM in most Cat powered coaches can be electronically programmed to "COAST" mode, (rather than "MANUAL" mode or "LATCH" mode), at any Cat service shop.... which will allows that coach to automatically "coast like a car" in conjunction with the cruise control.
See page 33 of this pdf:
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=435123

BTW, I believe Cummins powered coaches can be can be similarly electronically programmed

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat, MD3060 Allison, PacBrake exhaust brake
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I had mine programmed to work with the cruise control on my ISC, 3 mph over, it comes on and 3 mph under it goes off.........works very well traveling.
(Also re-programmed to stay in 6th gear on closed throttle position)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
So is it ok to run with your Exhaust brake on,does your brake lights stay on all the time?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
So is it ok to run with your Exhaust brake on,does your brake lights stay on all the time?
No- your brake lights will come on if your PAC activates automatically or you step on the brake pedal. I am working on a set of yellow lights to come on when it is just the pac slowing me down but red once I depress the brake pedal. Similar to the public transport buses.

Tags
brake, holiday rambler