Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Replacement for RV Trip Wizard?

While I like many of the features of RV Trip Wizard, there are some that are plain irritating. Does anyone have suggestions for other similar products?
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

What is irritating? I’ve found it useful.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #3

It doesn’t allow me to set specific dates for events that are set in stone. I would like to enter all the fixed events and then know how many days to schedule in between.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
It doesn’t allow me to set specific dates for events that are set in stone. I would like to enter all the fixed events and then know how many days to schedule in between.
This actually would be useful for me also. I usually make my reservation early for a major event/stop and then build around it. I then have to go back and forth to confirm or adjust the fixed dates as I build my route. I can try to push this up the chain to see if it is doable.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #5

Thank you and good luck
Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the GoodSam trip planner - which is really the Rand McNally trip planner - just GoodSam branded. It allows you to add a start date and a finish date for each trip, but oddly doesn't seem to do anything with that info. I always enter those dates but I can't remember ever seeing that info being used by my GPS.

The best part of using the GoodSam trip planner is that my built in GPS unit uses Rand McNally's software and so, I can set up my trip on my home computer and then export it via SD card to my dashboard GPS and I'm all set.

We just finished a 20-state 4,000 mile trip and after setting it up and exporting it to the GPS unit I had every stop set up for the whole 45-day trip.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've tried the Good Sam Trip Planner, and it has at least 2 deficiencies:

1. You have to be on-line to use it. I'd rather work off-line.

2. I haven't figured out how to tell the software that I want to start driving at 9am and be off the road by 2pm and have it designate overnight stops.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know how it could work offline unless it had everything including camp grounds, roads, points of interest, etc. with updates downloaded.
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
I have not found a better solution. The good news is the RVTripWizard folks are working on allowing us to pin dates...hope it comes out soon.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:34 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
That’s one of the things I really like about RV Trip Wizard. They listen to what users and non-users are looking for and make every effort to implement in future releases.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a thought.....

RV Trip Wizard comes with milage rings, which you set, and plots them on your trip's map.

So, lets say you have an event on the 15th and it is 800 miles away.

You like to drive only 400 miles per day.

As your build your trip, you can see via the rings the event is 2 days away and adjust your starting date accordingly. This method could be continued for the next event on your trip.

This is how I plan long trips that require me to be somewhere on a certain date or just to find a place to stop at the 400 mile mark, which is about my limit.

Happy travels....

g
Old 06-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #12

Try FURKOT.COM as it allows you to plan your route for a start and finish, hours you want to drive per day, speed you travel and miles per gallon you get. It then plots your overnight spots, gas fill ups and route. From there you can massage the stops, route and gas fill ups to your satisfaction. It is easy to change up days spent at each spot. It also links into Good Sam to find RV parks in your overnight locations. Amongst a bunch of other information. This is my starting point for planning a trip. From there I dive into Google Maps, RV Park Reviews, RV Parky and Roadtrippers.
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, trip wizard