Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

Fifth Wheels: Who has the "best bones"?

I've had my first (and only) RV now for a couple of years. It's a 2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS 37' (GDRV) travel trailer. I've cut my teeth on it, learning about the RV world.

I've been around boats for quite some time, so I'm familiar with sub-systems (i.e. electrical, plumbing, propulsion, hydraulics, etc.). RVs are often referred to as "land yachts".

The GDRV taught me a great deal - particularly about the inherent build flaws in workmanship that is rampant in the RV industry. I've learned that it's not limited to just GDRV, but rather ALL of the manufacturers. It seems to be a systemic problem that deals with two points of failure: 1) the components that they are made from (i.e. Lippert), and 2) shoddy workmanship due to the stress of getting as many out the door as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.

This is further compounded by the enormous amount of backlog that RV repair centers have.

So it means that if I'm going to have a good fifth wheel, I'm going to have to do the work myself.

In the boating world, you will often times hear of people buying an old boat because it has "good bones". If it's solidly built from the keel on up, the upkeep and repair of it is much easier.

I don't want a renovation or fixer-upper. I want a new(er) model fifth wheel that is built well. By that I mean design-wise. Easy access to systems (plumbing runs, electrical panels, HVAC, solid construction techniques, etc.). Only interested in 2015 or later.

From what I'm seeing in the last year of due diligence, DRV seems to fit that need. I've watched their construction videos on YouTube, as well as read as many forums as I could find.

For those of you who are doing your own maintenance, which are the companies that have "good bones"?

Thanks.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #2

From what I’ve read on several forums DRV and Northwood (Arctic Fox) are supposed to have good bones. I’ve also heard DRV quality had gone down due to purchase by someone else. I’ve got a friend that swears by his cedar creek and he bought a new one to replace his older one. Good luck and let us know what you learn and decide on.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
From what I’ve read on several forums DRV and Northwood (Arctic Fox) are supposed to have good bones. I’ve also heard DRV quality had gone down due to purchase by someone else. I’ve got a friend that swears by his cedar creek and he bought a new one to replace his older one. Good luck and let us know what you learn and decide on.

Correct about DRV. They were bought by Thor back in 2017 (I think it was '17).
Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #4

If you want to avoid Lippert components for the most part, look at Northwood MFG or OutdoorRV. Both family owned, both build the frames in house. Over the years Arcric Fox has had a reputation for decent quality, so a mfg like that would be my first choice today.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
If you want to avoid Lippert components for the most part, look at Northwood MFG or OutdoorRV. Both family owned, both build the frames in house. Over the years Arcric Fox has had a reputation for decent quality, so a mfg like that would be my first choice today.

Thanks. I just looked at both of their sites. We're looking to go in the 44' length with 1.5 bath, so those two would be too small. I'd love to avoid LCI if possible, but don't think that's going to be doable.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
Correct about DRV. They were bought by Thor back in 2017 (I think it was '17).

At a recent RV show I spoke with a rep from a company owned by Thor. He told me they let the companies run themselves but invest in facilities and tooling to help them be more profitable. He also told me that FR mandates the processes a company they buy must use. I don’t know if it’s true but it is interesting he volunteered that information when I asked about the company’s relationship with Thor. If it’s true then DRV’s decline in quality May be due to trying to keep up with demand and not increasing staff appropriately. Bottom line is the manufacturers don’t spend the time building in quality like they should.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
At a recent RV show I spoke with a rep from a company owned by Thor. He told me they let the companies run themselves but invest in facilities and tooling to help them be more profitable. He also told me that FR mandates the processes a company they buy must use. I don’t know if it’s true but it is interesting he volunteered that information when I asked about the company’s relationship with Thor. If it’s true then DRV’s decline in quality May be due to trying to keep up with demand and not increasing staff appropriately. Bottom line is the manufacturers don’t spend the time building in quality like they should.

That's really interesting to hear - and good to hear as well. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very happy with our ORV Glacier Peak fifth. Solid frame specially designed and built for the unit and off-road capability. Solid beefy pin box. MORryde on the axles and pin. Our 26RLS scales at around 13000, showing good solid construction.

They use real plywood for their units, not OSB. Build quality is average, comparing to the Eclipse toy hauler we used to have. Electrical has to be tidied up for sure. Plumbing is good, installed well. Nash involved with both brands of Arctic Fox and ORV.
I would not hesitate buying another.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
You have to decide if you want a good rig design or more importantly a floor plan you like.

Yes I favor the Nash family because the one I had was great when I was younger.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

New Horizons.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
New Horizons.

Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Check out LUXE units.

https://luxefifthwheel.com/

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:29 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree! Just depends how deep your pockets are and how willing you are to pay for quality. One of the few manufacturers you can sit down with and design your own floor plan.
http://horizonsrv.com/inventory/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
New Horizons.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, reflection