Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #29

For what its worth, our 2014 Bayhill is considered a 4 season unit. It has thicker walls , less windows for heat or cool to escape from, and weighs in at #13500 Empty, and #16,000 Gvwr.
Also be aware that the BigHorn Traveler is a step DOWN from the BigHorn. Traveler has fewer bells and whistles and is now considered an Entry level higher end unit by Heartland.
Fawny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawny43 View Post
For what its worth, our 2014 Bayhill is considered a 4 season unit. It has thicker walls , less windows for heat or cool to escape from, and weighs in at #13500 Empty, and #16,000 Gvwr.
Also be aware that the BigHorn Traveler is a step DOWN from the BigHorn. Traveler has fewer bells and whistles and is now considered an Entry level higher end unit by Heartland.
I see, well Traveler is out then. I certainly don't want a step down!
Justjamie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #31

Dropthejacks take a good look at the Redwood, I was thinking trading my solitude in on one. Redwood is 6in narrower than solitude and for full time that extra width in hallway and over all is huge. But the redwood was nice.

Smlranger I agree 100% with Your thoughts on insulation in the solitude as well as larger furnace. We use another electric heater at night when temps get down.

I also looked at Forrest-river cardinal that would probably be my pick. I really liked things they had including pull out dish washer. Less windows and there exterior paint seemed richer or better. I never measured but I think exterior walls may have been a bit thicker as well. But then price was higher as well, and a heavier rig. All goes back to wants and needs and budget. I do like our solitude but I think they are more entry level full time units. But that said maybe one of the better entry level brands. I may get strung out from the Solitude fans for that but I have one so I’m entitled to opinion.
Sask Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:36 PM   #32

Should proof read I looked at the Riverstone legacy Forest River. Not the cardinal!! Sorry for the omit response!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:32 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Farm View Post
Should proof read I looked at the Riverstone legacy Forest River. Not the cardinal!! Sorry for the omit response!
If we had seen the Riverstone before deciding on the Solitude, I believe that's what we would have now.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're thinking about upgrading to the Riverstone Legacy 34SLE. The legacy line is built well. Only uncertainty is the hung vs. laminate walls. Have read that the insulation in the hung walls can sag. I like the 3.25inches of wall thickness and extra insulation plus that FBP job is sweet.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #35

I think if you could get a Riverstone for the right price it would be a great unit. They claim there built to go head to head with the DRV but a little less money. Not sure on that but that’s there statement. It is definitely a class above the solitude, if nothing else in just the upgrades. Tires, axles, brakes, larger furnace, paint. If you put a price on that the difference in price isn’t to bad. I added hyd brakes and suspension alone was $5 and I still only have 7,000lb axles and basic tires. So after pages of pros and cons the solitude is a good choice for the money but for a bit more if that’s a option there are some better full time units. This depends on where you winter a bit as well, for the insulation involved. Just my thoughts on it.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #36

It looks like we will be going with the Montana at this point. It's still about 6 months out so that could change.

If we get Montana we can get some upgrades like dual pane windows, generator, solar and Legacy package. Solitude doesn't offer the full time warranty or solar.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjamie83 View Post
It looks like we will be going with the Montana at this point. It's still about 6 months out so that could change.

If we get Montana we can get some upgrades like dual pane windows, generator, solar and Legacy package. Solitude doesn't offer the full time warranty or solar.

If you're serious about full-timing, you owe it to yourself to actually walk onto some of the ones mentioned about prior to making a final decision. I think you will be shocked by the difference in fit and finish between the Montana and other full-time rated RVs out there. Montana is riding on it's reputation, and their quality has suffered. Not saying don't go with the Montana, but since you have several months until you make a decision scope out the other options. For the price there are better models to be had out there. But that said, most full-time models are made with couples in mind. They are not made for needing to sleep 6 kids. So not sure how wide your choices will be as far as "bunkhouse". Having a couple of overnight guests on a foldout queen I can see. But remember, this is your house, and space counts in an RV. The grand kids might have to suck it up for a few nights, but I'm going to have my space, because this is all the space I have, whether they are there are not.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
If you're serious about full-timing, you owe it to yourself to actually walk onto some of the ones mentioned about prior to making a final decision. I think you will be shocked by the difference in fit and finish between the Montana and other full-time rated RVs out there. Montana is riding on it's reputation, and their quality has suffered. Not saying don't go with the Montana, but since you have several months until you make a decision scope out the other options. For the price there are better models to be had out there. But that said, most full-time models are made with couples in mind. They are not made for needing to sleep 6 kids. So not sure how wide your choices will be as far as "bunkhouse". Having a couple of overnight guests on a foldout queen I can see. But remember, this is your house, and space counts in an RV. The grand kids might have to suck it up for a few nights, but I'm going to have my space, because this is all the space I have, whether they are there are not.
I will be walking through them first of course. Right now there are no dealers within 100 miles with the ones I'd want to look at. We full time in a non bunkhouse model right now, our 2yr old still sleeps with us so it's not terrible. I know in the near future he will start sleeping in his own bed, so we really want that space for him. My husband thinks no matter what we get, we will be getting a new one in 5yrs or so. He thinks after as much travel as we do, nothing would last. That may be true, but the Bighorn isn't made near as well as the Drv and higher end brands.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjamie83 View Post

Full Time warranty shouldn't matter and you can add solar to any unit.
GoBama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBama84 View Post
Full Time warranty shouldn't matter and you can add solar to any unit.

The warranty part not mattering is somewhat true, to a point. Warranties don't last all that long, the RV generally will outlast it. Course if they find out you are full-timing in one not rated as such, they will void your warranty. Says so in the fine print. BUT, the point is if you buy a Diawa fishing rod that Diawa says is rated for ultra-light tackle but you disregard their advice and take it saltwater fishing for Tarpon, don't be surprised when it breaks. They told you it isn't designed for that use, and they built the thing. They should probably know best.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #41

Last fall we were looking for a mid-bunk unit. It came down to the Solitude vs the Montana. Overall we felt that the Solitude was better built and Grand Design had a better reputation so we have our 377MBS and don't regret our decision at all.
jsp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #42

Here's something else to think about. We were thinking of a new G.D. after selling out 02 Monaco DP. We had a Teton before the MH that lasted us 15 years. We looked at the G.D. & they would work. Then my wife said why don't we look used. Well for the cost of a new G.D. which was nice but sure no Teton we found a DRV. Disc brakes, generator, select comfort king bed, hyd. leveling & the option list goes on.
To us the DRV is built better than the Teton which back in 03 was $75k.
I'm glad I listened to my wife. The G.D. would of worked but for the $ we got a much better RV. Oh and we have owned a Montana 5th wheel in the past also. Montana & G.D. are nice but they aren't a DRV.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design, montana