Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

Grand Design Solitude questions

We are considering purchasing a 2019 Grand Design Solitude 377 MBS.
Does any one have any thoughts or experience good or bad with this particular model , the Solitude line or Grand Design in general.

We are particularly interested on people's thoughts regarding the quality of construction, useability, longevity and any cold climate experience.

Thanks
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

We have a 2018 310gk. We have had it just a little over one year now. We haven't had any issues with it.
We went to Illinois in February, from California, and hit every weather situation imaginable. At some of our stops along the way, the temps were sub 20 F. We were very comfortable. So I would say the insulation is adequate. The heated holding tanks are a great feature too.
I recently had an issue with the led lights on the front cap, they "melted". Even though we are out of warranty, GD sent me new lights. Their customer service is great.
I would buy another one.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

I had my Reflection 303 RLS for almost 3 years now and have had no major issues. As always just some minor warranty issues that were corrected with no hassles. I live in mine full time and it has stood the test of time so far. My only regret is not getting the next size up. As for winter time, here in the PNW it doesn't get super cold, but it does get cool and rainy in the winter months. Because I don't like the furnace I use the fireplace and a small space heater to keep it warm and if needed I will run the furnace to get the chill off.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had our 2019 Solitude since last November. IMO, it is nice in many ways but nothing special. Build quality is average based on my experience with RV's since 1985. Most RV manufacturers are more focused on glitz than real build quality.

We've had no major issues. Several small things that I either fixed myself or had the dealer fix. Both kitchen sinks leaked at the drain from day one...fixed myself. Cold water inlet to water heater leaked from day one...fixed myself. LED lights on front of coach stopped working....dealer fixed. Lot of trim falling off inside the coach....I reattached myself.

Design gripes....switches to both patio awnings are mounted in a place where you cannot easily see the awnings as you deploy them. They do not have auto stop so they will rewind themselves is you do not stop at the right time. But you have to see them to do that. I have to open my entry door and peer out when I operate one and stretch to see out a window for the other. Grand Design should have also put switches outside or used the remote system that can be added to these awnings.

Many of the switches for interior lighting are mounted under the cabinets so you cannot see them. None are labelled. So turning on lights is a guess, trial and error game.

They have a switch inside labelled 'Driver Side Flood Light.' The light is mounted on the curb side so there is no lighting on the driver's side.

Grand Design claims the Solitude is Satellite ready. They put a hole in the roof behind a removable plate and another hole in the ceiling of the basement storage area. This is intended to allow the installation of a Sat dish on the roof or perhaps solar panels. However, they failed to install any conduit in the wall or otherwise provide an easy way to run the wires from the roof down to the basement.

If you want to use the rig in cold weather suggest you get dual pane windows.

Finally, before you buy one, ask the salesman to open the panel in the basement storage that lets you look behind the wall at the absolute mess of wiring, plumbing, water pump, coax cables, etc. It is an example of poor workmanship and lack of pride.

Not saying not to buy it but suggest you shop carefully.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We've had our 2019 Solitude since last November. IMO, it is nice in many ways but nothing special. Build quality is average based on my experience with RV's since 1985. Most RV manufacturers are more focused on glitz than real build quality.

We've had no major issues. Several small things that I either fixed myself or had the dealer fix. Both kitchen sinks leaked at the drain from day one...fixed myself. Cold water inlet to water heater leaked from day one...fixed myself. LED lights on front of coach stopped working....dealer fixed. Lot of trim falling off inside the coach....I reattached myself.

Design gripes....switches to both patio awnings are mounted in a place where you cannot easily see the awnings as you deploy them. They do not have auto stop so they will rewind themselves is you do not stop at the right time. But you have to see them to do that. I have to open my entry door and peer out when I operate one and stretch to see out a window for the other. Grand Design should have also put switches outside or used the remote system that can be added to these awnings.

Many of the switches for interior lighting are mounted under the cabinets so you cannot see them. None are labelled. So turning on lights is a guess, trial and error game.

They have a switch inside labelled 'Driver Side Flood Light.' The light is mounted on the curb side so there is no lighting on the driver's side.

Grand Design claims the Solitude is Satellite ready. They put a hole in the roof behind a removable plate and another hole in the ceiling of the basement storage area. This is intended to allow the installation of a Sat dish on the roof or perhaps solar panels. However, they failed to install any conduit in the wall or otherwise provide an easy way to run the wires from the roof down to the basement.

If you want to use the rig in cold weather suggest you get dual pane windows.

Finally, before you buy one, ask the salesman to open the panel in the basement storage that lets you look behind the wall at the absolute mess of wiring, plumbing, water pump, coax cables, etc. It is an example of poor workmanship and lack of pride.

Not saying not to buy it but suggest you shop carefully.
Look in the attic of your home. It's also a "mess" of wiring and plumbing. It's not an indication of quality of workmanship.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Look in the attic of your home. It's also a "mess" of wiring and plumbing. It's not an indication of quality of workmanship.
Sorry, but not the case. The wiring in my attic is routed with reason, stapled, etc. No plumbing in attic except vent stacks. If a home were wired like my Solitude, it would never had passed inspection.

How a builder routes, bundles, secures wiring, plumbing, hoses, coax is IMO an indicator of the care (or lack of) they take when building a coach.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #7

I have a Reflection 323BHS (bunk house model). Had it since 2015, and not had any warranty claims or major problems. I did have to replace the kitchen faucet, however.

The Solitude is 6 inches wider and has a much heavier frame. It's more for a full timer than my mid-size unit. We really like our 4 slide 36' unit with the outside kitchen.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:

Which RV manufacturer that exists today would you identify as special or above average build quality?
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
Which RV manufacturer that exists today would you identify as special or above average build quality?

I think there are few among the mass produced crowd. It is well known that the RV industry suffers from a lack of real quality control/quality improvement.

If I was looking again for a 5th wheel, I would look at New Horizons. Expensive, yes but built better and can be customized. Others I would look at are Vilano Beacon, Riverstone Legacy, Durango Gold by KZ and maybe Arctic Fox.

I don't think Grand Design is crap by any means. I just think there are folks out there who seem blindly loyal to the brand. And Grand Design touts their stuff as better than most. IMO, they are OK but, as noted in my response to the OP, about average and suffer from some poor design decisions.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Sorry, but not the case. The wiring in my attic is routed with reason, stapled, etc. No plumbing in attic except vent stacks. If a home were wired like my Solitude, it would never had passed inspection.

How a builder routes, bundles, secures wiring, plumbing, hoses, coax is IMO an indicator of the care (or lack of) they take when building a coach.
And you are entitled to that opinion. [emoji6]
Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #11

Thanks for everybody's input the higher end units mentioned are really nice but we can not justify that type of investment at this time in our life.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #12

I noticed you have a dual rear wheel do you think the single rear would be okay because we live near a major city and it would be difficult to park and use the truck every day.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #13

BriarPatch, The only reason we crossed all Grand Designs off our list was the Air Conditioning noise. My DW couldn't stand the air conditioner drone, Grand Design doesn't use the fully ducted systems like other higher end units do that are far quieter. Some argue that the fully ducted units don't put out as much air, that's not been my experience with ours, extremely quiet and will chill your bones. Other than that the Grand Design units are as good as any, Grand Design used to be a leader in post sales support but the others have now begun playing that game as well.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:17 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
BriarPatch, The only reason we crossed all Grand Designs off our list was the Air Conditioning noise. My DW couldn't stand the air conditioner drone, Grand Design doesn't use the fully ducted systems like other higher end units do that are far quieter. Some argue that the fully ducted units don't put out as much air, that's not been my experience with ours, extremely quiet and will chill your bones. Other than that the Grand Design units are as good as any, Grand Design used to be a leader in post sales support but the others have now begun playing that game as well.

To give due credit to Grand Design, they do use an overhead ducted AC system. You can bypass that system, as with any/most of the brands, by opening the air dump panels which blow cool air directly out of the AC unit.

We find the AC system to be pretty quiet. Our previous RV was a high end DP with three roof AC units. It also had the ducted but was far more noisy than our Solitude.

Overhead AC units will make noise.

Tags
grand design