Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #57

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I just planned a trip and have two things I don't understand. The roads I am taking are highlighted in red, except one section that is in yellow. What do the different colors mean?

On one US highway there is a circle with an I in it. I assume that means information, but when I click on it, nothing happens. What would this mean:
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 09:39 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I just planned a trip and have two things I don't understand. The roads I am taking are highlighted in red, except one section that is in yellow. What do the different colors mean?

On one US highway there is a circle with an I in it. I assume that means information, but when I click on it, nothing happens. What would this mean:
Ok, I got a route to change yellow, look on the left side and see if you see the yellow "!", it tells you why. I changed the height of my rv to see if it was that and it showed up and said no rv route available using standard route. Red sounds like a definite nono for an rv, look on your itinerary on the left and see if it shows up there. May also shorten the length of your rv and see if that affects it
Old 11-24-2019, 06:21 AM   #59

TW has a very steep learning curve and is not user friendly. also if you don't use it often you will need to learn it all over. having said that it is a very good trip planner as it shows all of the camp grounds and fuel stops along your route
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
TW has a very steep learning curve and is not user friendly.
Snip

I don't agree but like any comprehensive program it does have a learning curve.

For a steep leaning curve try Garmin's BaseCamp.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #61
RV LIFE Support Team

x2 on Base Camp

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Or how about a CAD program, now there is a steep learning curve. Or even any 3D drawing program like Sketchup. (At least for me!LOL)
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
... having said that it is a very good trip planner as it shows all of the camp grounds and fuel stops along your route

It shows fuel stops along the interstates, but not so much on other highways and byways...
Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #64
RV LIFE Support Team

I you click fuel under the Research/POI tab you will get most of the local gas stations.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 11-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #65
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you click on any campground, particularly one in the area that you need fuel, and choose More Details, you can then click on "Nearby Gas Prices", at the bottom left of the Overview tab. There, you'll go to a page to help you find more Gas options.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
If you click on any campground, particularly one in the area that you need fuel, and choose More Details, you can then click on "Nearby Gas Prices", at the bottom left of the Overview tab. There, you'll go to a page to help you find more Gas options.
Wow! I have been using this program for years and never noticed that. Thanks.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Hi Marilyn, it can be frustrating and then once that happens it just gets worse from there.

To get to a specific place, the the little search box above the map, type in an address, it will probably bring up multiple options till you get the full address in. Once you have that hit the search button (the magnifier on the right side of the search bar. That will put a pin at the location you asked for. Now just hover over the pin and select more details, that will give you the option to add to the trip. Click that and you have your destination. Also you can drag on the trip data on the left side to move a destination if you have several, just click and drag either up or down to suit your trip. Hope this helps
I find it exceptionally frustrating. Trip Wizard is VERY slow. And nine times out of ten, it "fails to save" and I have to redo everything.

Although I filled out the information on my RV and everything else when I first opened the account, and it is there, every time I try a new trip, I have to fill it out again.

Now I am battling with dragging the route. There are a number of streets in my area which are overhung with live oak trees -- very dangerous to try to take a Class A through. I scouted the area carefully in my car before we ever brought the Dragon home. I know what works.

I am trying to drag both my outbound and my inbound routes to where I have established they must be in order to be safe. It won't let me. It's determined to take it over the streets IT thinks are right, and it flips all over the place, adding twists, turns, and routes which are utterly useless.

In addition, I cannot find a way to add POI that I want to the map. I'm not a Costco member, so I really don't give a fig about hundreds of Costcos. But I do care about a specific health food store and about things like Whole Foods. There's no way to add them so if I need one along my route, I can find it.
Marilynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #68
RV LIFE Support Team

Marilynx, You should not be having the problems you are experiencing. What browser are you using? How is your internet connection, reasonably strong?

RVTW is web based so it needs to upload and download quite a bit. Every change you make is saved. We are working on a new version due out early next year that will be much faster but I don't find this version slow by any means.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum willing to help you. Let's try tackling your problems one at a time.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #69
RV LIFE Support Team

I just reread your note. Dragging may be having a problem because the streets you are trying to drag to my be "non-commercial" and the size of RVs triggers the mapping program to not route you on those streets. If you have RV Routing on this is probably the problem, switch to standard routing.

After you enter your specs for the RV are you saving them(lower right hand corner, green box).

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1 View Post
Watch this and it should help you get started.
This video has many of the flaws of "instructional" videos. The person creating it is so familiar with the item s/he is teaching that everything is obvious and simple to them.

I watched this several times. If I hadn't figured out most of what it's "teaching," I would be completely lost.

If someone has been using RVTW from the beginning, when it wasn't as fancy, it may seem reasonable and logical. TO someone coming in cold, it's not easy.
Marilynx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard