Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ

Hi, I am currently looking at a 2006 HR Scepter 40PDQ as a possible purchase. It seems like a reasonable deal but I know next to nothing about coaches in general and would like input on possible problems. This is a one owner coach with 35k miles on it. Thanks in advance

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Bought our 2007 Scepter in 2007. After 60K miles and eight years we still love the coach. Typical coach problems but nothing unique to this one. Replaced inverter with pure sign wave and replaced refrigerator with residential. A few other improvements, but again still feel we have a solid unit.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Should be a great coach if has been maintained.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
Bought our 2007 Scepter in 2007. After 60K miles and eight years we still love the coach. Typical coach problems but nothing unique to this one. Replaced inverter with pure sign wave and replaced refrigerator with residential. A few other improvements, but again still feel we have a solid unit.
JFC, thanks. I am totally new to MH's, whatever I buy will be my 1st, so what are "typical coach problems"?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:49 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Bought my first coach late last year and am currently on our first extended trip (Bar Harbor Maine). Similar unit - same year, roughly same mileage, same length, DP. Have enjoyed it immensely. Easy to drive. 40' is a great length and will fit in most campgrounds. Lots of storage. There is always going to be little stull to deal with - door and drawer latches to replace, for instance. Still learning all the things it can do. Next challenge is figuring out the satellite feed for Direct TV. Looking forward to many trips to come. Good Luck.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Hi, I am currently looking at a 2006 HR Scepter 40PDQ as a possible purchase. It seems like a reasonable deal but I know next to nothing about coaches in general and would like input on possible problems. This is a one owner coach with 35k miles on it. Thanks in advance

Jack

Check out this issue with the Cummins ISL in that time frame:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl-...ge-180891.html

If you get the engine serial number from the coach you are looking at, you can see if it falling in the effected range of engines.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:

Jack
Jack, RVs are called Rolling Earthquakes for a reason, you just have to read all the postings. Imagine driving an apartment, plastic plumbing bouncing, electrical connections loosening up, screws appearing on the floor after relocating, crown moldings falling off. We keep a supply of plastic drawer latches. I bought mine 6 yrs old and made sure I had a service contract. If you're not very mechanically inclined, I suggest you buy one. There are mobile techs everywhere. Before you close a deal, hire an RV inspector-worth the money. Good luck and be sure to apply for a Pilot/Flying J charge card thru Good Sam.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
X2 on the independent/professional inspection.
Coming from a long time boat and TT owner I thought I knew enough to inspect it myself. However, I went with a service contract as I was new to DPs and those drivetrains can be expensive repairs but never had to use it. My dealer made good on several items I found at delivery (e.g. dry batteries).
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
JFC, thanks. I am totally new to MH's, whatever I buy will be my 1st, so what are "typical coach problems"?
Date codes on tires, Good batteries, do all the systems work kind of thing before purchase.

After that it really is a bit of as crap shoot what can and will go wrong.
So much depends on how it has been maintained up to this point.

The good news is you would be starting with a really well built coach, with a great drive train.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #10

Good to know. I'll check.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #11

We purchased 2005 HR SCEPTER PDQ , March 2014, with 43k miles, now have 60K miles, no major issues, great ride and power. Coach had Res. Refrig. King Bed, I changed the TV,s added a rear view camera/monitor and new radio. Very pleased with the coach.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #12

As mentioned, service records are an important start. Make sure to try to get those. If you can't it's not a show stopper but makes you want to look a lot harder. I'd really recommend a professional inspection as a condition of sale. Even that may not catch hidden problems but it's a heck of a lot better than trying to do it yourself. Also, a service contract is a good idea. Power train repairs are expensive and you only need it once to make it pay for itself. Shop around for those as the prices and coverage vary all over the place. Good luck. This forum is a great place to educate yourself and get answers to whatever questions you have. Don't worry, we all started this process ignorant as all get out and had to learn. It's easier to learn from someone else's experience than to repeat our mistakes.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Download a manual from HR/Monaco. You will be able to see how many different systems there are (std or optional) and what their maintenance might be like. For example, does it have a washer/dryer (another system to winterize). Does it have a furnace or HydroHot (winterize, a filter to change and nozzle to change annually). Something else to consider if it is in your schedule/desire to do yourself or pay someone to do it. Either way, something to budget for.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #14

Bought an 07 Scepter new and now into 8th year. Coach was a real nightmare for the first year (as are many) but it has settle down and is now a pretty good coach. Monaco did some cheapo things when they built this, bu t that was just before the meltdown. All in all,not the worst coach I could have bought.

Tags
holiday rambler