Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #1

Inverter Install in Holiday Rambler

I am installing a M2812 2800 watt inverter in my 2002 Holiday Rambler. The electrical part is not a problem, but I would like suggestions / pics of how to mount the inverter. The battery compartment is divided in half, with the front half being a normal storage compartment like the rest on the coach. That is where I want to put the inverter. The issue is, this thing is HEAVY. Like 55 pounds. No way can it bolt to a sidewall, which are plastic lined, and even with reinforcement, thats too much weight. The compartment steps up in the back and I can put it up on top of the step, but I need to figure out how to mount it, and have it be removable for access to the wiring on the side of the inverter. IVe seen inverters sitting on shelves in compartments before, but they werent the plastic lined like mine are.
Also, Im planning on making a hole in the ceiling of the compartment and installing a fan to force air from inside the coach into the compartment for cooling. Im unsure if I should put another hole for the air from inside the compartment to go back into the coach, or make a hole to exhaust the air outside. I see benefits both ways. Any ideas would be appreciated. Pics would be superb. My email is rfkjr@juno.com .

Thanks
richardkronz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I updated the original inverter in my Windsor to a new Magnum ME2012. It was larger than the original inverter, so I made a mount from ¾” plywood.I painted the plywood black and then mounted the new inverter to the plywood.I like to use coated sheetrock screws as they usually do not crack the wood like wood screws.I then installed two-wood 2x2’s across the roof of the compartment, one front and one rear (also painted these black).I then mounted the plywood to the 2x2’s.If you look at OEM inverter installs, most are hung inverted in the compartment.Since my compartment had previously housed an inverter, it had a wire mesh at the rear of the compartment to circulate outside air.
I like your idea of a fan as these inverters get very hot in the summer. You may have to install a large aluminum or plywood piece across your compartment so that you can reinforce it and attach to main crossbeams.
Most inverters use a phone cord (RJ11) from the inverter to the control board. You will need to route this inside the coach to the location you choose for your control panel. I installed mine just inside the coach main door up next to the other control panels.
If you need any advice in wiring or parts, contact Chris at Tekris Power Electronics. He has stores in both Phoenix and NJ and is one of the few that can repair the older inverters.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler, install, inverter