Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarTex View Post
Looking forward to this thread. I have been eyeing these Class A toyhaulers for sometime. They seem to be the most versatile unit out there. My concern is for the quads i would like to haul....big Polaris x2 units....most 10' garages are too small. For that matter most toyhauler trailers are too small also. What i mean is the units will not fit side by side (they are 48" wide and 96" long) they would have to be "inline" or turned side ways. Would be nice to see a 12" garage which might allow the turning of the units? not sure? I like the NEWMAR ALLSTAR 4157...alot like the 3920 but with mid-engine diesel...no longer made though
If you have the height with a rear ramp, you can install a stacker as we have. None of the AllStars(including the 4153) mid-engines are made and used ones are hard to find. Newmar still makes a gas Canyon Star rear ramp toyhauler.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Very cool, but forgive me - I don't understand. How does it or what part electrically extends?

Thanks for the post
The wall comes down with cables and a inner section extends out.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
First, I love my Damon Outlaw. Having said that, I've been on the lookout for a good used MH like yours since I first saw it last year. As you said, they are few & far between. Unique set up...almost as kewl as our Outlaws.

Oops, did I say that last part out loud?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
First, I love my Damon Outlaw. Having said that, I've been on the lookout for a good used MH like yours since I first saw it last year. As you said, they are few & far between. Unique set up...almost as kewl as our Outlaws.
Yout Softail will fit crossways with the side ramp leaving tons of room for washer, dryer, extra freezer, workshop area, extra closet, etc. etc.

Found one(2007 4153) in Idaho-they are asking the same price as we paid for ours in 2006.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's the carrying capacity of that model? Have you weighed the rear axle fully loaded?
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
What's the carrying capacity of that model? Have you weighed the rear axle fully loaded?
The carrying capacity of the 4153 is 7900 lbs. Yes, have weighed the coach on all four corners many times. Currently we are the heaviest we have ever been with 2 ATVs, with 400 lb. stacker rack/beds, extra freezer, W/D, bikes, tool chest, a couple hundred pounds of rocks, gold mining equipment, wagon wheel, large sculptured wooden bear(and lots of stuff collected over the past 4 months), a Honda 2000 jenny, load of firewood, two 5 gal. cans of gas, and a 20 gal. gas tank, extra clothes cabinet, 3 air conditioner, TV, radio, 25 foot flag pole, 8 fishing rods, vacuum cleaner, spare parts, 5 storage cabinets, etc. etc. etc. all in the garage area(behind the rear axle). Rear is 800 lbs. over the 20,000 limit-but Spartan says no problem and we can still run 95 lbs. in the 305/70 tires! Front is 2500 lbs. under the 14,500 limit.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that's a chassis!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Capacities

Hey all,

What's the capacity of your ramp and garage?

My Damon Outlaw is posted with a max ramp capacity of 2,700lb and the garage is rated for 2,500lb!

It also says, of course, that you should never exceed the GVWR - mine is 24,000. I guess if you stuff the cabin with lots of people and stuff, you might get into the gross allowance, before loading the garage, but I like to run light for MPG considerations.

The ramp on the Outlaw is a massive 11foot in length going from just above the hitch receiver to almost all the way to the top of the 12'11" roofline ('cuz of the loft above the garage) which includes a 6" folding kick-panel at the end of the ramp.

I don't know what the angle is on the ramp, but it's real easy for me to load/unload my motorcycle, and I don't have any problem going down the ramp like others have described with other styles.

What do you have?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #37

Ramp is 12 feet. You can use if for any distance between 8 and 12 feet just by extending the 2nd section electrically. Don't know capacity but have had 3 people and the Fatboy on it when in the horizontal position. Fuel mileage does not change with weight or tow car.

No problem loading with the Fatboy being lowered for less than 3"s of clearance. If it was a problem you can start up and then raise the ramp for level loading.

Just finished up at the Dunefest here in Oregon and headed for the Rubicon Trail with the XJ.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088
Hey all,

What's the capacity of your ramp and garage?

My Damon Outlaw is posted with a max ramp capacity of 2,700lb and the garage is rated for 2,500lb!

It also says, of course, that you should never exceed the GVWR - mine is 24,000. I guess if you stuff the cabin with lots of people and stuff, you might get into the gross allowance, before loading the garage, but I like to run light for MPG considerations.

The ramp on the Outlaw is a massive 11foot in length going from just above the hitch receiver to almost all the way to the top of the 12'11" roofline ('cuz of the loft above the garage) which includes a 6" folding kick-panel at the end of the ramp.

I don't know what the angle is on the ramp, but it's real easy for me to load/unload my motorcycle, and I don't have any problem going down the ramp like others have described with other styles.

What do you have?
The Newmar 3920 is rated at 2500 pounds both on the ramp and in the garage.

Chris
NJ5N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many uses

Here's an example of the versatility of these RV's...for the dog show crowd:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RVtdoghauler.jpg
Views:	2620
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	24560
From here: RVToyhauler.html

One of the BIG reasons we got our Outlaw was because of our St. Bernards...they just love RV travel. And, yes I've been thinking about getting a central vac because of them

Does anyone else have an alternative use for your garage?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found this Bissel unit at Costco. The hose reaches up to the dashboard. I also saw this same unit in Walmart recently. It's a wet/dry vac as as well as a blower
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have It Your Way

I found this company's website, that appears to be a custom shop...will build to your spec kinda' place. It was pretty interesting to go through the gallery...

Motor Home with Garage for Cars

Name:	StarshipMotorGarage6.jpg
Views:	3131
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	24613

Name:	Starshipshell1.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24614

Name:   Starshipshell4.jpg
Views: 6650
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:   Starshipwinshl3.jpg
Views: 6587
Size:  5.0 KB

They also have an RV with galvanized chassis, lifts for the handicapped to fit pick-ups, vans and RV's as well as specialty vehicles for police and fire...and a bunch of other stuff. Located in Rochester, IN
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Future?

Many believe that what is on the roads in Europe will be the norm' here in the U.S. in the next 10-20 years...if that's true, here's what we could expect to see in RV Dealer lots:

Name:	concorde-charisma-890g-smart-garage-motorhome.jpg
Views:	1448
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	24797

Name:	concorde-charisma-890g-smart-garage-motorhome_003.jpg
Views:	4516
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	24798
It is a Concorde Charisma.
Concorde Reisemobile GmbH - Modelle

In English: http://www.concorde.eu/en/models/

Years Mfgt: 2006 - Present (in Germany)

Specs: Iveco 65C17 6-speed manual transmission.

Here's a review in English:
2009 Concorde Charisma 890M | Practical Motorhome
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV