Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

Rexhall DP

Currently looking at a
2002 39' 2002 Rexhall Aerbus 330hp Cummins W/2 Slides w 42,000 miles.
Questions/Comments please... reference condition, miles, age, engine is in the 2000 to 2004 when Cummins had some problems...
Unit is very clean, appears well maintained but?
2002?
Cummins 330?
Only 42000 miles?

Thanks in advance
GE
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

I have a 2004 3955 Rexair on a Spartan with the Cummings 330HP... The Rigs are very similar, exact in a lot of ways. Ive had the mine for a little over a year and its my first RV. Although I have been a boater all my life, I currently live on my 40 foot boat, RV's and Boat systems are very similar.

My friend is a Diesel Truck Mechanic and works on 18 Wheeler's all day long. He is also, my boat mechanic for my twin Detroit Diesels. Point is he really knows his stuff. When he checked out my RV before I purchased it, My Cummings had 121k miles on it. He said that the trucks he works on, boats as-well, with the Cummings, regularly see 500k to more than 1 million miles... This all depends on the care of the engine. So your mileage of 40k is just getting broken in. If it was cared for and you care for it, the engine could last you a lifetime. He also, said my Rexhall/Spartan Chassis is extremely heavy duty more so than some 18 Wheeler's, very well built and he was impressed. Rexhall is known for this.

I have had no problems with mine. Just recently I took my rig with brand new tires on a 300 mile trip from Los Angeles to Bakersfield which included going up and down the famous Grapevine in 90 degree heat. I was following my friend in his 2010, 40 foot Fleetwood with a Cummings 350HP. I stayed right with him the entire trip including the steep hills. We were communicating on handheld radios and my engine never got above 200 degrees while his was over 200 degrees on the steep inclines..

Everything inside and outside the coach work fine. Besides some wear and fading paint from age I am very happy with my Rexhall..

I hope this helps. Good Luck.
IslandLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #3

Thx. That means alot.
The Rexhall Aerbus is extremely clean for a 18 yr old rig.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 AM   #4

I have a 2001 Rexall RoseAir 3955 HL with a ISC 8.3l, I agree 100% with Bryan and his Mechanic, They are an excellent unit, mine had 38,855 mi on it. I'm a retired Heavy Duty Mechanic, I was impressed with the design of the overall unit. Age doesn't matter, it's how well it was maintained that's important! Point of interest, to access the engine air filter, you have to remove the mattress and box spring, there's a hinged plywood cover over the engine and air filter compartment. It's self explanatory after you remove the bedding. lol Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. You won't regret buying it
straycatinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #5

So. . . . . did you buy it?

I have no particular knowledge of the Rexhall other than doing the same research you are. The 2-slide diesels 2000 - 2004 are on my short list though. I'm curious as to if you sprained your wallet on this one or not -- and what made your mind up either way?
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
So. . . . . did you buy it?

I have no particular knowledge of the Rexhall other than doing the same research you are. The 2-slide diesels 2000 - 2004 are on my short list though. I'm curious as to if you sprained your wallet on this one or not -- and what made your mind up either way?
No, I did not...
It is a great looking unit.
Located in Houston, Tx.
Ppl motorhomes.
Was $32,995 but has been reduced to $24,995.
Model 3955, 39 feet, 2 slides,
330 Cummins, Allison.....
Shoulda, woulda, coulda....
But didn't.
Too many things going on in my
life at the moment.
Attachment 247685
Old 05-29-2019, 05:48 AM   #7

Pic didn't take
Stock number D772
Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
Pic didn't take
Stock number D772
I finally broke down and called these folks. The bus has been there since winter, 2017 with one attempted (failed) closing. It's a leaker and needs interior work. Store is not sure they have the leaks fixed yet, although there are multiple workorders in that regard. The roof is suspect and there could be hidden damage. The PO is not a reliable source of history and kept no records. Tires are 12-y-o. State of maintenance is unknown. Salesman was straightforward -- needs $6k of work before it will roll off the lot. Will be an ongoing, long-term, major restoration.

This might be a deal for a local person with facilities to do the work, but it's more sick than I want to cure during my first class A experience.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
I finally broke down and called these folks. The bus has been there since winter, 2017 with one attempted (failed) closing. It's a leaker and needs interior work. Store is not sure they have the leaks fixed yet, although there are multiple workorders in that regard. The roof is suspect and there could be hidden damage. The PO is not a reliable source of history and kept no records. Tires are 12-y-o. State of maintenance is unknown. Salesman was straightforward -- needs $6k of work before it will roll off the lot. Will be an ongoing, long-term, major restoration.

This might be a deal for a local person with facilities to do the work, but it's more sick than I want to cure during my first class A experience.
Man!!! That's a world of info...
All good to know but all bad if you're the owner or thinking of buying it. I sure am Glad & Happy
I did not make the trip to Houston. I just had a gut feeling about it, Dad always said...
"If sounds too good to be true
Then it probably is!!!"
Thx for the update
Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #10

It's not a bad thing to buy into if that's the sort of project you want. People do it with cars, boats, and houses all the time. If I was much younger and lived much closer to it I might lowball it and fix it up. But I need something I can live in while I fix it, and this isn't it for me.

I was test driving my bike today and saw a completely horrific Rexhall gasser off in a commuter parking lot. It was early-90s looking, tag axle, and mid-front-ish door. I suspect it was there because it wasn't going anywhere else anymore. There was no sign of life in or near it, either human or mechanical, although it appeared to be stuffed full of stuffings. None of the basement doors latched and two were missing on each side. I didn't get close enough to see if the frame structure was there or not, but I expect not. It was missing some glass and the rest was fogged. Windshields were oddly good. The sides had been doodled all over and there was a pirate flag draped over the back. It had no bumpers. If it had washed up on a beach we'd have towed it off and sank it out of pity.

So there's a butt for every seat . . . .
Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #11

It seems that the bus referenced in my earlier post is a runner. It's been terrorizing Whidbey Island's genteel set for a few weeks now. Apparently it broke loose from it's mooring at a house with sketchy occupancy during a "police action" at the property and has been aimlessly meandering ever since. I guess it's too far gone to be allowed on the ferry . . .

It reminds me of one time outside of Tyler, TX, when I was riding shotgun in a Toyota Tacoma. A possum staggered onto the road in front of us. We stopped. The poor thing was covered in open sores and surrounded by a cloud of insects that flew freely on and off the sores, and into it's ears and mouth. The possum was beyond trying to fight them off. It was staggering, falling, screaming at the bugs, staggering in circles, and trying to get out of the road. I've never seen anything so completely miserable in my life. It looked like the last hours of distemper to me. I went for my .38, but realized I wasn't carrying it today. Unusual for me, and now I needed it. After some discussion, and the poor thing nearly under our wheels in its distraction, my friend put the Toyota in gear . . .
. . . and that's the kindest thing that could happen to this bus.

Tags
rexhall