Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:20 AM   #43

That ties him into the THousand Trails network. It may or may not match his work sites and will require the 3 week moves when he will be on 13 week or longer assignments. Not a good fit at all.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 05:32 AM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
That ties him into the THousand Trails network. It may or may not match his work sites and will require the 3 week moves when he will be on 13 week or longer assignments. Not a good fit at all.
It doesn't lock you into anything! Do you think that if you pay $500 a year you can't stay anywhere else for the rest of the year or something? It's actually a great deal, if the camps are located close to where your work is. Even if you only use it 1 week a month it's a great deal. [Moderator Edit]
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm currently reading:

Secrets of RVing on Social Security: How to Enjoy the Motorhome and RV Lifestyle While Living on Your Social Security Income

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-RVing...ecurity+Income

The author says that you can do it on $1,349 a month (the average amount of social security each month in the US). The caveat is that you should have no debt. Doable? Maybe.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
It doesn't lock you into anything! Do you think that if you pay $500 a year you can't stay anywhere else for the rest of the year or something? It's actually a great deal, if the camps are located close to where your work is. Even if you only use it 1 week a month it's a great deal. [Moderator Edit]
I have been to a Thousand Trails presentation. The plan has been discussed many times around here if you do a search. The consensus seems to disagree with you for most folks most of the time.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #47

Quote:
I have been to a Thousand Trails presentation. The plan has been discussed many times around here if you do a search. The consensus seems to disagree with you for most folks most of the time.
Consensus???? I disagree.
I would agree reviews are split but do not agree there is ANY consensus.
I did my due diligence with TT. I knew exactly what it was and what it wasn't. I purchased an Elite in the resale market.
Without doubt it is worth it to me. You must know the parks are not comparable to a $100/night resort. It IS comparable to a $30-40 a night CG. Again I knew what I was buying and it saves me thousands each year.
My main reason buying it was an "insurance policy". If funds got tight with me I know I can go to a safe place with full hookups and able to stay 365 days a year for a $549 annual fee. Even though that was my main reason for purchasing I find myself using them a majority of the time.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We are in the Yuma area. Currently in our RV park there are 3 travelling nurses and one PT that I am aware of. They say they are able to contract the days they want and seem to like it.
I drove thru Yuma on my way to San Diego and stayed on base one night. not much there but definitely a unique area!
Nomadnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Look into getting a Thousand Trails camping pass. You can buy a contract that allows you to stay for up to 3 weeks at a park and then go to another park in their system and stay 3 weeks without missing a day, you can move from one park to another all year long. The rule is, you have to be out for a week before going back to the same park for another 3 weeks. You pay a yearly fee of only $500-$600 and you have to buy the contract (around $1500) but you can always sell it later to someone else. There will be a transfer fee of $750 usually paid by the buyer. You can't buy these contracts from 1000 trails, you must buy them from a private campground pass dealer. They have campgrounds nation wide but not in every state, most are on the coast.

https://www.thousandtrails.com/
Cool will look into that. seems like a good plan for a full timer
Nomadnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:15 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
As a member of thousand trails... I agree with computerguy.

It works for us, we got platinum membership on secondary market. Our initial yr cost, Xfer and dues Was 1100. Now we have spent 130 Days in their parks, full hookup with daily cost = 0...
Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadnurse View Post
I drove thru Yuma on my way to San Diego and stayed on base one night. not much there but definitely a unique area!
Would depend upon what you are looking for. Yuma is not for everyone but some find the amenities, cost of living and entertainment fits their life style.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Really? a consensus?? Ha! maybe in your own mind, other than that there is no consensus. I don't know what presentation you went to but getting a TT membership doesn't "lock" you into anything. "Lock"? I don't even know what you mean by that, please explain. Clearly you are are not a member and really don't know for sure how it works. Show me a better deal anywhere.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #53

As a traveling nurse, I would think you could work 3 months and live the other 9 months traveling off your earnings. After 9 months you will probably be ready to change the pace and go back to work again. You could even go 3 months on and 3 months off depending on your needs.
My wife and I work 6 weeks of the year, sugar beets/christmas trees, and volunteer at State parks the rest of the year. This gives us variety and maintains our life style with out dipping into our savings.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadnurse View Post
Cool will look into that. seems like a good plan for a full timer
I see the selling machine is cranking up. If you do some searching the issue with any club like Thousand Trails is location. If their parks are where you want to be then they can be a good deal. Your problem will be matching 3 week stays to 13 week or longer assignments and matching assignments to locations. You pay them whether you use them or not. Folks who don't have commitment schedules and don't care much about where they end up can find them useful. Folks who want full freedom of movement find them restrictive and expensive. Ditto folks like me who don't see there locations where I want to go. There are multiple threads discussing the club if you do a search. I would advise that you at least wait a year or so until you see how the rest of your adventure is working out or you could end up with a long term commitment for something you can't use enough to cover the cost. Then you have to try to sell it at a discount unless they have stopped allowing resales.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I see the selling machine is cranking up. If you do some searching the issue with any club like Thousand Trails is location. If their parks are where you want to be then they can be a good deal. Your problem will be matching 3 week stays to 13 week or longer assignments and matching assignments to locations. You pay them whether you use them or not. Folks who don't have commitment schedules and don't care much about where they end up can find them useful. Folks who want full freedom of movement find them restrictive and expensive. Ditto folks like me who don't see there locations where I want to go. There are multiple threads discussing the club if you do a search. I would advise that you at least wait a year or so until you see how the rest of your adventure is working out or you could end up with a long term commitment for something you can't use enough to cover the cost. Then you have to try to sell it at a discount unless they have stopped allowing resales.
Again, this is not correct. TT has been to court on this issue and they cannot void or stop allowing the resale of their current contracts. All they can do is stop selling new ones but the ones that are out there can be sold and resold over and over. In the 90s TT was a private campground open to only members. In an effort to get new members they starting writing many different terms into their contracts to get people to buy them. As a result they ended up with 1000s of different contracts with different terms regarding stay times, price structure, and many other terms. These contracts are not sold by TT anymore but are only available from other members who own them. This is why when you said you went to a presentation it's most likely they didn't talk about these contracts because they no longer sell them. The terms that you were offered at any presentation are not the same ones offered on existing contracts. Heck, some even allow you to put your contract on hold for 2 years where you don't use it and don't pay anything but still own the contract. There are many different contracts in use and finding the right one for sale can be a challenge. This is why it is recommended that you contact camp ground pass dealers to find one.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #56

None of that changes my points or advice about owning a TT contract when considering somebody who is traveling on work assignments. They have different requirements than somebody who is retired and can do the loop of TT parks in a part of the country they are interested in.

Tags
rving, solo