Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2019, 12:30 AM   #1

Window Question Single or Dual?

DW and I are looking at going FT in the next year or so, and I have been researching RVs I'd consider. One thing that I'm not sure about that keeps coming up is several of the, I guess you'd call them upper tier 5ers, offer duel pane windows. Out of the gate, this sounds like a no-brainer "Heck yea I want that" moment. But, I've heard some horror stories about them loosing their seal, clouding up into a hazy mess, and being expensive to fix and/or replace. Just FYI we do not, nor do we plan to, cold weather camp (say below 35). We are coastal folks, love to saltwater fish, and do not like snow. So the weather we will be looking at will generally be 60+ if that makes much of a difference. Looking for opinions, thoughts? Are duel pane a must have, or something to maybe even avoid?
TIA
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #2

Had both types. In cooler weather dual panes dont condensate. In warm.. Hot weather they stop some of the heat radiation into the unit. Dual panes are slightly quieter as well.
If I where looking again I would do the dual panes again
Ymmv

RoadrunnerII
Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #3

I have dual pane windows on my Alpine and like them so far.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven'y had anything but dual pane windows in the last three rigs (since 2000). The first two were Newmar Dutch Stars and never had one fog up even in 13 years with the last one. I've owned the present rig for only 4 years and have had all but two windows resealed. Yesterday the sun was just right and I see one of those needs it. SeGi windows are the brand that people have the most trouble with, and yes that's what I have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Highly recommend dual pane. Reduce or eliminate condensation and noise. Reduce heat transfer inside in bright sun.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #6

We full time with a fifth wheel with single pane windows and I admit I have no experience w/dual windows. Our tinted pane frameless windows work good for us. We do have reflex cut outs stored under the mattress to fit in each window for the really cold/hot times and these are only used a couple of times a year. My practical sense tells me that dual pane windows would not be cost effective for our lifestyle that avoids temp extremes.
Note: Window condensation is a symptom of excess moisture in the RV that needs a dehumidifier.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We full time with a fifth wheel with single pane windows and I admit I have no experience w/dual windows. Our tinted pane frameless windows work good for us. We do have reflex cut outs stored under the mattress to fit in each window for the really cold/hot times and these are only used a couple of times a year. My practical sense tells me that dual pane windows would not be cost effective for our lifestyle that avoids temp extremes.
Note: Window condensation is a symptom of excess moisture in the RV that needs a dehumidifier.
No experience with dual pane either.
When I ordered our current rig I opted not to get them. I'm sure they help on noise and temperature but did not want to worry about other issues associated with them.
I camp in 25 to 100 degree temps. I never have moisture on my windows. If you do, like grindstone said, get the moisture out. In cold temps, simply leave a roof vent slightly open. Yes, you'll loose some heat but with it moisture and stale air. These things aren't made to be closed up tight. They need ventilation.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #8

2 our of 3 MHs we've owned have/had dual pane windows.
Glad we have them for hot & cold both. Never have had one dog over 13 yrs.
Not to say there aren't any issues but like many things you hear more about problems than no problems.
Many folks have problems with slides but I dont think I'd have (another) a MH w/o slides.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of rv's these days come with dual pane windows.

I like ours for the same reason as others in the post.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The dual pane windows in 5th wheels are not "sealed" with a gas inside, they are simply 2 panes of glass. No fogging inside because they lost their seal to worry about.

They are much quieter and Keep the heat/cold out much better, don't condensate as much in winter etc. You can hear the difference in a unit with them.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #11

Have fulltimed for 12 years in 2 5ers (each with dual pane) and now a motorhome (with single pane). In my experience on average each dual pane will fail every 4 years..... a real hassle to replace. On the other hand, the condensation on the current singles is a pain. Being that you won’t be in colder weather, if it were me, Id get single pane. Saves you some $ and a lot of hassle down the road. As others have noted, duals will keep it quieter and less heat/cool loss but you do have to contend with fogging and the resultant repair or replacement.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:56 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. I appreciate the real world experience.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
The dual pane windows in 5th wheels are not "sealed" with a gas inside, they are simply 2 panes of glass. No fogging inside because they lost their seal to worry about.

They are much quieter and Keep the heat/cold out much better, don't condensate as much in winter etc. You can hear the difference in a unit with them.

So a duel pane in a 5er is a different duel pane window than what a MH has? Looks like they would all come from the same suppliers.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #14

I have dual pane in the motorhome and very much like them for the reasons stated in this thread. The trailers I had without would get uncomfortably hot on single pane windows requiring blinds to be closed or reflective panels. Not a good option if you like light and view.

An issue with trailers, bumper pull and 5th wheel, is the flimsier frame which flexes and can cause a window to loose it's seal. I'll disagree with another poster in that windows sealed with regular air not argon can cloud up if the seal fails. It's moisture that gets between the pane, etches the glass on the inside from repeated exposures and drying. The use a trailer receives will affect it also. Rougher roads, "off-roading", will flex the frame and lead to possible failure.

Dual pane windows are also heavier and many RVs have wimpy cargo capacity to start and adding that extra weight will reduce that further. That said any next RV I get, with the exception of a short stay smaller trailer, will have them.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single, wind, window