Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #1

Full time Solo

I am seriously considering going full time RVing, but I am having a really hard time finding the confidence in the decision. It is a huge risk but one I think I want to take, just having a hard time pulling the trigger. What gave you the confidence to go for it? Was it financial security? A major life change? A wake up call? etc. I would love to hear your stories and maybe it will give me the confidence to go for it.

Also, if you have any advice or tales of caution throw them my way.
ready2leave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #2

I'm extremely introverted. I rely on me for practically everything. For the most part, I don't like people. I can fake liking people for a while, but I eventually burn out and just want to get far away from everyone else. It's more natural for me to do things alone than trying to find other people to do things with me. I don't need that kind of support group. I guess I just fell into it.

If you're looking for advice, here you go. You are the only person who thinks you can't figure it out. Seriously, other people might have questions about how you're going to deal with something, but nobody doubts you can figure it out. As soon as you realize that you can actually figure out how to deal with any issues that might come up, you'll be out enjoying life solo. It really is you that's holding you back, and based on your user name, you are ready to leave.

Ever go to the movies alone? Feels weird at first, but then you realize that it's better because nobody else is trying to eat your popcorn. Same thing with RVing. It's better alone. It's also easy to meet people if that's your thing.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think Itchytoe covered it pretty good.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #4

I think the anxiety and doubt on my end is not the fact I won't be able to handle any issues that come up it is more what if this doesn't work out.

I am 30 years old, sick of the corporate life and looking for more. My plan is to jump from job to job every 6 months or so and fit in traveling and exploring when the bank account permits. My fear is that I end up hating it, or I end up running out of money, stuck somewhere. There is also the what if's when this ends, I would be essentially putting my career on hold. I see myself doing this as long as time permits but it is the what if's that are holding me back.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I think you have to approach full time in an RV the same as you would approach full time in a S&B or apartment. It is a life style. You will have a bed to sleep in, a fridge to store food, a stove to cook food, etc.

The benefits as I see is you are able to easily move if you get bored with a location or have bad neighbors and you are able to stay when you find a group of people you like and enjoy being around.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Don’t know all the details of your situation, but there are options. You don’t have to just walk away from everything. You can experiment. Houses can be rented to others, belongings can be put into storage. RVs can be rented or leased.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

i just did it. been full time 10 years now and im early 40's now. once you do it youll be glad. dont like an area 1 hour or less to pack up. hit the road never go back there unless you want to. some areas you will like more then others. in the end its what ya make it
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:43 AM   #8

So you were about my age when you did this then. I am 30 years old. Im not necessarily wanting this for the travel, I am more concerned with being able to move. I have yet to stay in one place or one job for more than 3 years. I find myself bored and constantly wanting something new. Do you work camp? If so, how has that worked out for you?

Tags
full time, solo