Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #127

And if you did not have a lifting tag, good chance you had a dumping tag, which took air out of the tag air bags, this basically put all the weight on the drive axle. If you get stuck in the snow because you think your tag is holding too much weight off your drive axle, think you need to read your manual again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #128

While I consider myself to be a technically oriented person, I believe this thread has played itself out. We are sure our tag handles better and provides a smoother ride than our 2 previous single axel units. Plain and simple. Load distribution?? Braking?? Hmmmmmm, I dont know and am not interested in analysis. Its difficult for me to believe I would ever overload our coach. (its called common sense) When I step on the brakes, she stops. Does anyone out there really think a substantial percentage of "campers" will calculate load distribution? C'mon!
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
While I consider myself to be a technically oriented person, I believe this thread has played itself out. We are sure our tag handles better and provides a smoother ride than our 2 previous single axel units. Plain and simple. Load distribution?? Braking?? Hmmmmmm, I dont know and am not interested in analysis. Its difficult for me to believe I would ever overload our coach. (its called common sense) When I step on the brakes, she stops. Does anyone out there really think a substantial percentage of "campers" will calculate load distribution? C'mon!
Harris
I agree with your post!

Best way to calc load distribution is to simply... not overload!

Use commonsense as to where things amounting to weight are placed. Proportion weights correctly in their respective locations where weight bearing is placed on wheels/axels/frame. In other words... Think!!

I've been boating with pleasure cruisers [as well as work boats] of from 23' to 50' for over 60 years [we own a 36' tri cabin Tollycraft now]. Talk about need for correct load distribution!! Trucks, cars, trailers, 5ths, RV's are not too different in requirement to not overload and have loads correctly proportioned to maintain trim as well as handling capabilities.

Moving vehicles of any sort are not the same as your rec-room closet. You should not simply stuff things in helter-skelter until every square inch is filled!

Be kind to your RV and it will be kind to you!!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco Wolfy View Post
I've spent many years with an RV in Mountain ski areas. I've never had a tag axle but no many is that have. Most of those was tag axles have had issues with the tag axle holding too much weight off the drive Wheels. Because of this they find themselves stuck in the snow. For my use I prefer a single axle in the rear.

This is a nuisance problem with tag axles. Low coefficient of friction and a lot of weight on the tag axle. Apparently people understand to change the weight distribution to the drive axle by unweighting the tag axle. So people do understand coefficient of friction and low weight on drive axle affect frictional forces between the tire and road for accelerating or decelerating.

Stopping a tag axle mh on a wet road can also be affected when the drive axle is under weighted and the tag axle is over weighted from the ideal 2/3 1/3 weight distribution even though neither axle is over weighted on the tag mh.

60% 40% weight distribution under weights the drive axle ideal braking from the equal weight on each tire 2/3 1/3 distribution. Poor weight distribution leads to lower frictional forces for the drive axle on a wet road. The abs will kick in earlier on a 60% 40% weight distribution than the ideal 2/3 1/3 distribution resulting in lower frictional braking force as it is 10% less weighted than the ideal weight distribution. A single axle does not have this problem and will brake better.

I have never said people are over weighting their tag MH. I have said the tag axle adds the complexity of accounting for weight distribution when braking.

This poster also indicated the weight distribution complexity in snow. But again the snow distribution issue I view as a nuisance issue while emergency braking on a wet road or when ever the abs kicks in is a significant safety issue.

Either buy a single axle mh or get the MH manufactures to stop delivering mhs with bad weight distribution. I just find it easier, cheaper, and safer to drive a single axle mh.
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Would really appreciate a reply to my post in #116.

I have kept this as simple as possible with 8th grade mathematics and first few weeks of a high school physics course where they teach frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal weight against the surface. These are the primary factors.

Still people either do not understand or do not want to understand how weight distribution will affect the braking force.

tag vs non tag is an issue of weight distribution.

I have no intention of discussing minor secondary or tertiary factors that would confuse understanding.

A lot of people are underfunded for retirement. They would be a lot better off saving $40-50k on a less complex single axle mh with better braking. They don't need to be confused imo.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
but, but, but ---- two more shiny wheels makes it a no brainer

Simple - larger coaches without the tag will more than likely, but not always, but sometimes put too much weight on the drive axles - there that 'splains it !

and I love our tag - load the bays up for convenience and adjust tag pressure to push more weight to the front or less weight to the front
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GuageCapture.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	249087   Click image for larger version

Name:	tagCapture.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	249088  

Old 06-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
I have kept this as simple as possible with 8th grade mathematics and first few weeks of a high school physics course where they teach frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal weight against the surface. These are the primary factors.

Still people either do not understand or do not want to understand how weight distribution will affect the braking force.

tag vs non tag is an issue of weight distribution.

I have no intention of discussing minor secondary or tertiary factors that would confuse understanding.

A lot of people are underfunded for retirement. They would be a lot better off saving $40-50k on a less complex single axle mh with better braking. They don't need to be confused imo.
I am in awe of your superior knowledge, and appreciate your keeping this discussion at a level where all us high school dropouts can understand it. In future, I will try to keep common sense and practical experience out of the discussion. I will try not to ask questions, you think will confuse people, and refuse, or cannot, answer.
I do agree if you are underfunded for retirement , get the simplest, cheapest coach you can buy, but if you are comfortable in your retirement and want 4 slides, bigger tanks and bigger engines, don't think you will have a choice, it will be a tag, and you will just have to put up with all the disadvantages.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #134

So if you have a tag or not, and your pulling your toad or trailer, and the brakes are set up properly, that means you have 4 more brakes............. oh never mind
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #135

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
I have no intention of discussing minor secondary or tertiary factors that would confuse understanding..
What about the weight transfer to the front axle in heavy braking? Cars often have disks on the front and drum brakes on the rear because of 70% front and 30% rear braking... not a minor difference.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
but, but, but ---- two more shiny wheels makes it a no brainer

Simple - larger coaches without the tag will more than likely, but not always, but sometimes put too much weight on the drive axles - there that 'splains it !

and I love our tag - load the bays up for convenience and adjust tag pressure to push more weight to the front or less weight to the front

Every tag axle mh should have the ability to adjust weighting like yours. You never get to ideal weighting but you will get close enough that it is not significant.

My beef is with tag mhs that are delivered with no means of adjustment. Some are delivered with 60% 40% weight distribution. Even when delivered better what do you think happens to weight distribution when a heavy trailer or motorcycle lift is added? The weight distribution gets all out of whack and poor braking (especially on wet roads) and over weight steer axles result.

People should demand tag mhs like yours.

BTW, I have not seen single axle mhs significantly over weight on the drive axle. My current MH was under weight even when we were full timing.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #137

Quote:
Every tag axle mh should have the ability to adjust weighting like yours. You never get to ideal weighting but you will get close enough that it is not significant.

My beef is with tag mhs that are delivered with no means of adjustment. Some are delivered with 60% 40% weight distribution. Even when delivered better what do you think happens to weight distribution when a heavy trailer or motorcycle lift is added? The weight distribution gets all out of whack and poor braking (especially on wet roads) and over weight steer axles result.

People should demand tag mhs like yours.

BTW, I have not seen single axle mhs significantly over weight on the drive axle. My current MH was under weight even when we were full timing.
Whatever
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Whatever

And people wonder why I try to keep the math and physics simple
Old 06-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #139

Quote:
And people wonder why I try to keep the math and physics simple
Maybe because you are taking your very limited knowledge of tag axle coaches and are trying to apply it to every tag axle coach. Have had two tag coaches, one used the height control valve to automatically distribute weight between the axles, the other used a manual adjustable pressure valve to set weight on the tag axle.
You make a lot of assumptions when you say, this coach had problems with tag weight, so all tag coaches have problems. The physics and math for your problem coach do not necessarily apply to all coaches.
Do you really think that a $500000 Tiffin is built to the same engineering standards as a milllon dollar+ Newell, Foretravel, Prevost or King Aire?

Tags
single