Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgot to mention...Don't stop at the truck scales. All RV's are exempt from being weighed.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Learn how to descend long steep mountain roads with sharp turns (yes even on interstates). Slow down before steep descents and sharp turns.
Pay close attention to the normally ignored recommended speed signs for turns and steep slopes. High wind warnings and other trucker information apply to your rig. Find a large parking lot and nose into the wind. Watch how the truckers do it and critically analyze their methods. Keep in mind they are under extreme pressure to keep going even in risky conditions.
Feel free to ask for advice at truck stops.
Don’t stop at active highway weight inspection turn outs.
Wow, there is a lot to learn. Good luck with your excellent adventure.

Persistent
That is some really good advice you chimed in with. Driving and thinking like a safe truck driver does . On hills they are taught to keep the truck 5 MPH under the posted speed on downgrades. When speed reaches the posted limit they back it down 5 each time.The safe ones do just that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #31

Lots of good advice here. Just try not to get over whelmed by it all. I have been full timing for 10 years and we are having a ball. I'll try to condense the most important points for you.

1. Pack your sense of humor. You will definitely need it some days.

2. Check those tires and if they are at all questionably replace them before you leave. I change mine at 4 1/2 - 5 years regardless of condition.

3. Get an emergency road service. One tow and it pays for itself. I personally have Coachnet but there are others.

4.Take your time and go slow. I only drive 62 MPH. You will see lots of people that are towing zipping right past you. However, I would bet even money that 90% of them do not even know the speed rating on their tires. Most are exceeding it and a blown tire makes an awful mess (on the road and especially to the trailer).

5. An important one is don't try to drive everyday. This towing takes a lot out of you. We will tow for 2 days, 3 at the max and then sit for a day or two and rest.

6. Remember that you can't stop nearly as quickly so be mindful of your room in front.

Now remember to make wide turns, watch out for the nut balls out there (people in cars don't seem to like being behind large trailers and do incredibly stupid things to avoid that), and don't forget to have fun.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #32

Plan your route using a Truckers Atlas Rand McNally
If you stay on these roads you’ll be ok. Truck stops are easy to get in and out but cost s fee cents more, I’m assuming diesel truck.
Check the DOT code on the tires and don’t be surprised if they are over 4 years old .
I wouldn’t take off with “China bombs” if I were you & having bearings packed.
Seller needs to provide all service records for both truck & 5’er.
Keep in the right lane and let the crazies pass .
Good luck.
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner9 View Post
In a rest area if parked where thr trucks are do not open the slides or you could lose one. If you can park by the curbs and slide goes out twards the curb then it's OK.

Trucks wheel in with a big wide turns in some places and if that slide is out they may or may not see it and take it out. So be careful. OH and I'd not stay over night in a truck stop unless you just can't help it.

Truckers get mad when campers take the spots .Not enough to go around for trucks much less campers.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post

watch out for the nut balls out there (people in cars don't seem to like being behind large trailers and do incredibly stupid things to avoid that),

Brad
Amen to that. Especially at exit ramps/on ramps to the interstates. I just did MA to TX round trip and saw a lot of people who apparently missed the part of driver training that dealt with merging onto a highway. Be aware that you should move to the left lane if possible.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #35
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Watch the tail swing on the fifth wheel.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #36

Another fueling tip.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned this one yet. If you need to get fuel at a non-truck stop station, never use a station whose pumps are at right angles to the highway. When the pumps are parallel to the highway, the in and out will be much easier. Those metal barriers at each end of the pump islands are super sturdy and they do their jobs very well. You can probably guess how I know this. Have a great adventure!!!
philiprmcgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Axel temps

Sounds like a great trip. For a few dollars, invest into a laser temp pointer gauge. When you stop for whatever, check the axel temps with the laser to determine if the bearings are working to specs..
Another great post...pull into an RV park and have a cocktail and RELAX. You won't be able to do that in a rest area with trucks pulling into it at all hours,
Kendorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:20 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hire a Driver

Hi
towing a fifth wheel, first time, out of the Boston area to California is going to be
treacherous and could be costly if you cut a turn to sharp and sideswipe the rig or any of a number of issues that could come up. My advise and honest advice hire a driver to ride with you. Both of you can split the drive during the day and you will get invaluable over the road training. You have to learn how far to drive past your turn point, how to backup, how to pass, use of brakes and transmission based on driving conditions, etc. It is not as easy as getting in a car and driving coast to coast. Trust me the price to hire a driver will be money well spent. You can contact major RV dealers in your area i.e.Mesa RV or RV manufactures to get in touch with drivers.
Good luck
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #39

Carry cash

You will find that you can get discounts if you use cash vs the vendor having to pay bank fees. Also set aside the funds needed to pay Cal DMV for use tax and license fees. Use tax is their version of sales tax for vehicles purchased outside CA, unless you have used it for more than 90 days and can prove it (like fuel receipts that you saved).
BobbyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #40

Gas Stations or where ever

Before you pull in, plan your exit. Know where there is space to leave and get back on the hwy.
derh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:07 AM   #41

You can do it, it’s not rocket science.
An f350 towing a 29 ft 5ver is a good set up.
You are familiar with trucks apparently. Just be mindful,of what’s behind you , above you , and around you.
Kate, the 59yo gal has super good advice.
I don’t think you need to hire a driver. A 5ver is more stable than a bumper trailer.
I drive a 07 Kodiak duramax crew cab dually and tow several different trailers. 38 triaxle Alfa see ya 5ver( 41actual), tandem axle 5ver with sailboat, 32ft conventional enclosed tandem with ramp door, 25ft all steel tandem flatbed conventional trailer homebuilt. My setups are all gooseneck on 5vers and 2 5/16 hd balls on to 20k factory receiver .
The Kodiak 4500 makes it easy for me and my wife is no stranger to it either.
I believe you’ll find the F350 will make the job a “piece of cake” .
I’ve had good Sam road service, aaa , and road service thru my insurer. I don’t recommend good Sam. No matter which you use it’s a crap shoot getting prompt adept service. Carry a GOOD spare for truck and trailer. If you carry a jack., a quick change flat may be faster if you do it.
Take your time and be a prudent driver. You can judge for yourself what advice is wise and will work for you.
55 mph will likely get you the best fuel mileage.
Oh , don’t believe for a minute that all truck drivers are safe, smart, kind, friendly, courteous. You WILL experience getting cut off by them and car drivers also.
Drive defensively.
As far as rest stops and Walmart go you should have no problems. Truckers understand they don’t own the rest stops. After a days drive you need 8-10 hrs rest also.
Enjoy your trip, take the time to get a campground before you leave the previous owner behind, test the camper out in the case of discrepancies you’ll be glad you did.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:50 AM   #42

Wow, what a great adventure!
If the sellers offer driver training, take it. It will help with turns etc..
Have a steady drive home
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo