Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Solo RV'ers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got used to building and enjoying a fire solo even when my late wife was alive. The night air and smoke gave her a sore throat. She would only come out if the fire wasn't smoky and the wind was calm. So not much different now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
You can only 'miss' something if you can not do it and enjoy doing it.

Eating out is not a solo experience.

Same with going to a movie.
As an extreme introvert, I completely disagree. A movie is the least social thing you could possibly do. Stay quiet and not talk to anyone for two and a half hours while paying attention to a screen instead of each other. What's more solitary than that? The discussion and dinner after the movie would definitely be social, but not the movie itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Being solo in a RV provides plenty of alone time during the week so I joined a church group that met once a week.
I believe you and I have very different lifestyles. I'm comfortable with myself and don't get tired of alone time during the week. If I did, I certainly wouldn't look to a church for fellowship. If I did, once a week would drive me insane. That's at least twice as often as I'd want to meet with them. I actually enjoy being solo. I'm not solo to meet people.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #17

I've always loved the outdoors and have had the privilege of spending most of my life there, both occupationally and recreationally. Before having RV's I would build fires to stay warm and cook food, and there have been a time or two when being able to build a fire at night while stranded in the woods during winter has probably saved my life.

Later, after the RV made having a fire unnecessary for heat and food, and having breathed more than my share of smoke fighting wildfires and burning logging slash to provide site prep.for tree planting, I do not go out of my way to have a fire. Some of my friends have a fire while hunting and I go over to visit, but not for the fire. I think for those who like them they are wonderful, but I've experienced more than my share.

As for being alone, when I was going to school with a wife and three kids and doing the 4 year thing in 3, there would be a period of time between the winter and summer terms that allowed me to camp alone for about about a week. I needed that time just to get away from stress and people. I would take the Jeep, a tent, and some fishing gear to a place I knew along a stream where in a whole week it would be unusual to see one person. After a week alone I would be talking to myself,....and sometimes answering. At that point I knew it was time to go home, and I would be good for the next year, with a few shorter excursions.

Being alone for me is only good for a short time. On the other hand, as with campfires, if it is something you like that is wonderful.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #18

I've never camped solo, but I have built a fire sand set by it by myself. A fire, cup of coffee, and a good book is very relaxing.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #19
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I travel solo and love having a fire. Why would you cheat yourself of something so comforting and enjoyable. If I can't do a wood fire, I pull out my propane firepit. [emoji3]
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Out west here it's a ritual of mine to make a fire, enjoy a fermented malt beverage and look skyward to catch the ISS, satellites or the odd meteor going over while watching the sky fill up with stars. Whether someone else wants to join me is up to them.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Out west here it's a ritual of mine to make a fire, enjoy a fermented malt beverage and look skyward to catch the ISS, satellites or the odd meteor going over while watching the sky fill up with stars. Whether someone else wants to join me is up to them.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Hey, Mark:

Jim, W1IK here---good to meet another Ham RVer!

73, OM, de W1IK

Previous Rig: 1972 Rectrans Discoverer 25 (Dodge M300/413 CID)
surgesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #22

I might build a small fire. If there is anyone around who wants to say hi, it's all good. If not, I'm comfy too. Mostly I don't want to build a fire that will take a lot to extinguish if I decide to go in before it's down and easy to drown.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Campfire when solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I'm the same only it's the DH that doesn't want to sit outside long..especially if it's cold. I just pile on more firewood & enjoy it by myself.

Lori-

X2! I do admit it is more fun to share it with others. I don't do fires now as often as I used to.

Usually, my stays are long enough to get to know a few people, I invite someone or am invited. Sometimes it works sometimes not. Many nights it is just me and cable TV.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #24

Brother, nothing is silly if you enjoy it, right.
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:00 AM   #25

I feel the same way and although I always carry supplies, I don't make one either.
Cherilanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #26

Get a dog, when I solo'd I was never alone at the campfire. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190929_181646.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	269388
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
90% of my traveling/camping is done solo. Sometimes I build a fire, sometimes I don't. But I don't have to have "company" in order to build one. I'm perfectly satisfied with my own company when I'm solo and do not invite people I don't know to join me. I enjoy building the fire too. Campfires are mesmerizing & warm but if the wind is blowing I won't light the match.
RollinStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #28

Even solo, boondocking without the occasional campfire would be like Christmas without the tree.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, solo