Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Question Holiday Rambler--Vacationer

New to the RV experience. Just looking at this point. So far I am impressed with the looks of the Holiday Rambler 34PDD. Seems like the right size for my wife and I.

I would like to know the difference between a PDD, SBD, and WBD models. I can't seem to find this information when I look at the various adds.

Is anyone familiar with or had any problems with this particular model?

Thanks
Dave
David J. Mey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

welcome to iRV2.com.

Look for each specific floor plan on sites such as Lazy Days, PPL, and RVT because sometimes they include a picture of the floor plan layout. You didn't say what year(s) these models were offered, but that info might be helpful to others who may reply. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Those letters represent different floor plans (layouts). There may be some small differences in standard equipment on each, related to the floor plan differences. Those aren't current (2015) Vacationer floor plans, so I'm guessing you are looking at used coaches. You can download older HR Vacationer brochures at this site - the brochure will have floor plans and equipment.
Holiday Rambler Brochures
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

FYI it was my understanding the older Vacationers did not have air suspension. Verify if important to you. Good luck in your search.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It's not a question of new vs old for air suspension - it is the chassis type. All vanilla Vacationers are gas chassis coaches with leaf spring suspension. However, a Vacationer Diesel was produced in 2006 & 2007 and that model had a Roadmaster chasis with rear diesel and air suspension.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
However, a Vacationer Diesel was produced in 2006 & 2007 and that model had a Roadmaster chasis with rear diesel and air suspension.
Vacationer Diesels with air suspension? I don't think so.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #7

2006 & 2007 Vacationer

Thanks for the information on the air suspension and diesel pusher.
Dave
David J. Mey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, we have a 2008 HR Vacationer XL 34PDD that we purchased last September. We are the second owner. Ours has the 340HP Cummins diesel in the rear and it does not have air suspension nor air brakes which is okay by me. Our coach only had 14,000 miles on it when we bought it so I expected some problems due to lack of use. We have only put about 1000 miles on it since purchasing it due to a problem with a leaking seal in the hydraulic system which was common in the 2008 model year as well as some others (up to 2010?) that used the Lippert system. The replacement parts have been redesigned and I feel there is a good chance they will be a permeant fix for the hydraulic system.

We really like the size of the 34PDD and the floor plan. I find the ride to be very good and the brakes are fine but my experience has only been on relatively flat land so far. We are currently preparing for a month long 3,500 mile trip starting in a few days so we will be spending a lot more time with the Vacationer. One thing I did notice is that the Vacationer does not have as much basement storage as our former MH which was a 1997 34' Kountry Star front engine diesel. The storage is adequate but I had to purchase some stackable containers with locking lids to get everything in.

Good luck with your decision!
------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We have only put about 1000 miles on it since purchasing it due to a problem with a leaking seal in the hydraulic system which was common in the 2008 model year
We have the 36 sbd very similar coach and the lippert system leaked just as you mentioned. Extended warranty replaced the pump and hyd motor ( would have cost us almost 3 k ). With our 340 Cummins we climb mountains with ease. With the engine brake I don't even know if we have brakes.... never used them..........
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #10

I have been going back and forth Gas Vs. Diesel and the biggest problem we have had is finding a "Smaller Diesel" (other than the Tiffin Breeze) that we have found much information on. I have seen a 2007 and a 2008 HR Vacationer xl 34PWD and another one I forget the layout and they seem to me to be less than a new Gas MH. I have found the Brochures on both model years so that has been a good start. For some reason I though the XL did have air suspension?

I"d like to hear from owners that have similar size Diesels, and find out if your happy with them. On the 07 it shows it uses a Allison m1000 transmission, how is that from what I was told that I should look for the 2500 or 3000 models is that a concern? What about the engine and power, I see that they use the Cumins 5.9Ltr Disel engine ( I am assuming it is turbo charged?) That is a big heavy coach does this engine perform with this much weight. The newer models now use a 6.7 I think.

On the chassis, it is the Roadmaster that I understand is no longer made or around... how do you get service on it? Parts? Do these units use the 22.5" wheels or the 19.5" wheels it seems like it is a larger chassis than most gas units. Anyone with one can post a picture of the factory weights as manufactured?

How do these things handle... I"ve seen so many disappointment owners of Gas Ford V10's lately that I"m really concerned on buying one, most folks have to take it from the sales floor right to a suspension shop and get thousands of dollars of chassis enhancements performed..

So, lets start with this.... I look for your reply.
Dave
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
davidki,
Unfortunately, all my information on weights and transmission specs are in the motorhome right now but I will try to get you more information on those things tomorrow. Our 2008 Vacationer XL does not have air suspension or air brakes but we still feel the MH handles well and I am satisfied. The 6.7L 340HP Cummins has a lot of pickup and the VGT (variable geometry turbo) which is both the turbo and the exhaust brake slows the Vacationer quite well. From mid-August thru mid-September, we went on a trip from Louisiana up I-55 to Southern Michigan then over through Ohio and Southern Pennsylvania to Maryland and then back home through Atlanta. There was no problem setting the cruise control at 62-64MPH (fuel mileage is better at these speeds) and the MH handled the inclines on interstates easily but does downshift to 5th gear on longer, steeper grades. In Pennsylvania on our way to Gettysburg we did experience some serious grades which were posted with warnings to truckers where I had to manually downshift and our speed was much reduced on those inclines compared to what the cars behind me could do. Then again, I was still pleased because I felt the Vacationer was performing better than the pickups pulling 5th wheelers were doing on the same route. The short wheelbase on our 34PDD is more susceptible to impacts from side winds but I've found that proper tire air pressure helps that a lot. The Vacationer does have 22.5" tires.

Our previous MH was a '97 Kountry Star 34' unit which was a diesel puller (front engine) with a Ford 4 speed transmission and no engine brake. That coach had the old 12 valve mechanical 5.9L Cummins diesel which probably left the factory with only about 200-225HP. The owner we purchased the unit from had modifications made to the fuel injector pump to boost the HP to something in the neighborhood of 275. I was also happy with the performance of that coach because it would easily pass 18 wheelers going up grades around the Smokies but I must admit that I was wondering how the KS would handle trips out West through the Rockies pulling our VW. Even though the KS had a longer wheelbase than the Vacationer, it also only had 19.5" tires so the ride was rougher in the Kountry Star.

My wife & I really had no intention of purchasing another MH when we traded in the Kountry Star on the Vacationer XL. What really sold us was the 34PDD floor plan was the best layout we had ever seen in a 34' MH. Even the current 34' unit floor plans do not impress us as much as the 34PDD. One item to look out for is how the slides are operated. Our 2008 model has a hydraulically driven sofa/dinette slide and the bedroom slide is driven by an electric motor under the bed using gears. I believe the 2007 and earlier models used a cable system to operate the slides which appears to be more troublesome according to posts in this forum. As I stated earlier, the hydraulic system on my coach also had a defect with an oil seal which I think Lippert has finally solved but it can be a costly repair if you can't do it yourself.

I hope this information helps you in your decision and I'll get you some weight information tomorrow. Good Luck!

-------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #12

Jim, thanks so much for the quick reply and the information, I was a bit concerned on the 2007 with regards to the 5.9Ltr engine. I'm glad to hear that you have the 6.7ltr. What does surprise me as I said was the 193" wheel base which seems very short for the 34' unit.

Since I have the brochures I"m going to check out your layout ....

There seems to be quite a few HR Vacationers Diesels on the market.. I like the idea of No Def to deal with, but do you have any issues with fuel? Do you use an additive? and How do you deal with all the Bio Diesel out there?

What is your fuel mileage like on your longer trip? Do you tow a Toad with you?

I really appreciate your info.. were in the Nashville area and there are not that many dealers in this area.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #13

Jim, do you have an email address, I'd like to send you the brochure I just downloaded of the 2008 On this brochure it states a 5.9ltr engine, and a tow capacity of 4000 lbs.. seems strange to me... it also says fully Air Leveling standard I"m not sure how to attach the brochure here..
Dave
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Welcome Dave,
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, holiday rambler