Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

looking for a little help on strange plug on holiday rambler 285rks

I just traded my MH for a 5er its a 2012 Holiday Rambler aluma-light FW285RKS on the left rear side where the 30A twist lock plug is located there is another plug with just a rubber cover or flap over it. It looks like a 1120v 20A dedicated male plug. It has a round ground one flat prong and one vertical prong The sales person doesn't know what it goes to and neither do I. This is my 3rd camper and I have had one MH and none of them has had this plug on it????? anyone know what is for??
Ridgeruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That is a 25 amp connection. Why it is a male fitting instead of a female connection is something I cannot tell you. Do you have the manuals? If not, or they tell you nothing, contact the manufacturer.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Is it near the engine? Might be an engine block heater plug if you've diesel.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Supplemental power added on by previous owner? That sounds kinda like what I did to my TT.

I added an additional 15A GFCI "dedicated blow dryer circuit" to mine using a motor base and heavy extension cord to the pedistal's auxillary circuit because my wife kept blowing the main when doing her hair.

And no, a smaller travel size blow dryer definitely wasn't an option.... I proposed that first and was promptly shot down..

It also comes in handy to use for an additional electric heater when its really cold and the primary one won't quite keep up.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #5

I would get inside and trace the wiring--may be special circuit that was used to power somethiing on the outside. Check with VM when hooked to shore power to see if it is live. Can't feature that it would have a female plug unless the PO wanted to make sure it was only used for what he wanted. And if PO wanted to get extra power from the pedestal hookup, he would have had a double-male extension.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I would get inside and trace the wiring--may be special circuit that was used to power somethiing on the outside. Check with VM when hooked to shore power to see if it is live. Can't feature that it would have a female plug unless the PO wanted to make sure it was only used for what he wanted. And if PO wanted to get extra power from the pedestal hookup, he would have had a double-male extension.
Joe
He said it was a male plug... wouldn't need a special cord
Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. I see others are helping you with your question. Best of luck i finding a solution. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

Missed that about the plug--so it is sending power INTO the rig. You are probably correct in that it is for supplementary power is the pedestal is wired correctly for it.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #9

That is a 20A outlet, and is not standard on RVs. This is also a 5th wheel, not a MH, as stated. Someone added that after the fact. How many A/C units does it have?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #10

it only has one ac 13500 btu and if this plug is a addon it was done very professionally. I am going to pick it up this weekend and maybe the service advisor will have some insight to what it is. He was off the day we traded. I was going to look under it to trace the wiring but it is sealed completely with a cardboard like material. covering the whole underbody So I assume it is also a all season. That was going to be my 2nd question. If it is a all season will my fresh water storage and piping keep from freezing if I run the furnace?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #11

thanks for the welcome dieseltech39.....
Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #12

All Season or Four Season is just a sales pitch. There is no industry standard. So we can only guess without looking into the underbelly; they are all different.
But basically yes, there should be furnace ducting to the underbelly. May not be insulated though.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
You're welcome.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #14

An input plug for a external generator??

Tags
holiday rambler