Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TV selectors switches

I have a 2003 H/R 34'
There is a bank of switches in the over head cabinet.There is a DCD player hooked to it as well as a receiver in the opposite side.
I can get a movie to play on both tv's if the receiver is on.
No mater what I do I'm unable to get a TV channel.
I has a wind guard on the roof that does nothing.
Previous owner said it worked but couldn't tell how to do it.
Still has both the OE TV'S.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is your wineguard a satellite dome or just the antenna?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
that switch box is SUPPOSED to allow you to switch from tv, to satellite, to video, etc for each tv in the coach..........if yours is like mine, it looks like a rats nest in the overhead cabinet over the steering wheel...........while mine works (mostly), the only real way to make sure things are hooked up correctly is to go thru each connection separately and make sure things are wired correctly.........personally, I would have a professional do it, but you are looking at a couple hours of labor..............as for your ability to get a tv signal, have you subscribed to a satellite tv service..........ie, dish, direct, etc............if it were me, I would take it to your mechanic if they work on electrical systems and see if they can get it going................good luck

ps. if your coach is like mine, there is only one feed to the bedroom tv, therefore you are limited to what type of signal you can receive, without additional modifications.....................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The TV antenna should have an amplifier, there is usually a small switch that you have to turn on with a red light indicating there is power.

Other issue is if your TV's are the old analog type (tube) they will not pick up a signal without a digital receiver.

If the TV's are the newer type you need to make sure you have the proper setting for signal type, antenna or cable.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41pu View Post
I have a 2003 H/R 34'
There is a bank of switches in the over head cabinet.There is a DCD player hooked to it as well as a receiver in the opposite side.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

There should be a plate on the cabinet wall where the switch box is located. It will have a coax connector, a small push-push button, and a light. This is for the fold-down Wingard antenna on top. You will need a coax cable from that wall plate to the coax connector on the back of the switch box that says "TV Antenna".

As Jim said, your TV must be a newer digital, not the old tube-type. Otherwise you would need a analog-to-digital converter. Don't go that route, just replace the TV with a new flat-screen!

First, push the button on the wall plate to turn the light on, providing power to the antenna. The switch box has two groups of switches, one for TV #1 (front or main) and another for TV #2 (bedroom). Just push the button that says "TV Antenna" for the TV you want to watch.

If the cables from the switch box to the TV's are correct, this should work. Try it and report back to us.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #6

I will just add that you may need to use your tv remote and push the "source" button. It will then give you various options for the signal source. On mine, if I am using my roof mount tv antenna (not satellite) I need to do a search for the tv to program the local channels. Otherwise it will not find a signal. If I am using my satellite, then on my system I have to choose HDMI as the signal source, which is based on how the input goes into the tv.
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
What kind of receiver. A stereo receiver or dish? If it's a stereo receiver it may be wired to control video and or audio.. If so in addition to selecting the source on your coax switch box you may have to cycle through the stereo outputs (sources) via the stereo. Got a picture of the receiver or a name

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA U60 Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The receiver is stereo and the antenna is just a crank up type.
I haven't found any amp or antenna switch.
There is a light on the dash that tell you it's up when the ign key is on.
Should there be power at the antenna 12v or when it is up?
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will go over this weekend and get the brand of the receiver and a photo of it
And look for a panel/switch plate for the antenna.
Thanks for all the response.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41pu View Post
I have a 2003 H/R 34'

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just a couple of observations.

1) Still has both the OE TV'S. - 2003 TV's are analog, ALL TV stations broadcasting OTA signals today are digital, you will never get an over the air (OTA) signal. If PO said it worked either he added an analog to digital converter (if so you need that powered up too) or he was talking about it working a LOT of years ago. I don't remember when the switch to digital was mandated, but it was years ago.

2) Getting movie to play on both TV's supports analog/digital problem, I'll bet CG cable works on both also.

3) If "weingard on roof" is OTA antenna and original you need to replace it too. If weingard on roof is satellite you may be able to get it to work, but with13 year old TV's don't bother to pay for HD channels.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Just a couple of observations.

1) Still has both the OE TV'S. - 2003 TV's are analog, ALL TV stations broadcasting OTA signals today are digital, you will never get an over the air (OTA) signal. If PO said it worked either he added an analog to digital converter (if so you need that powered up too) or he was talking about it working a LOT of years ago. I don't remember when the switch to digital was mandated, but it was years ago.

2) Getting movie to play on both TV's supports analog/digital problem, I'll bet CG cable works on both also.

3) If "weingard on roof" is OTA antenna and original you need to replace it too. If weingard on roof is satellite you may be able to get it to work, but with13 year old TV's don't bother to pay for HD channels.

I use my original roof TV antenna with digital TV without any problems!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I use my original roof TV antenna with digital TV without any problems!

While that is interesting, OP said they have OE 2003 TV which is analog, so your digital TV makes your situation different. Btw - you will improve your picture/reception with a digital antenna.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm out for a few days,messing with that TV again.
I have talked to several camper here with the same antenna as I have.
They get 5 to 7 channels,some with flat screens others with the analog sets.
My TV which is a RCA analog has a program built into it that asks several questions like the zip code I'm in,if I have a VCR,I don't,DVD player only..
I answers all the questions,the set will run a channel search and comes up with nothing.
There is a receiver in line that must be on the play a DVD movie which it does just fine.
The bank of switches has a red light when on and I assume that it is powering up the antenna. I have installed a convertor box with no help.(Analog to Digital)
Someone asked for a picture of the receiver but I'm unable the load it for some reason. .
Thanks for all the help.
Gong to get a flat screen in the next few days.
Hope this helps the issue.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If the TV is original and analog it will not receive digital stations without a converter box. They converted to digital stations in 2009/10. I replaced both my analog TV's with LED/LCD but still have to make sure the antenna amplifier is working.

In the same cabinet as the switch box look on the wall and see if you see an outlet with a cable attachment and 12 volt plug, it looks like this
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-70.../dp/B000GGL4CG

There is a small push button On/Off switch with an indicator light, the light has to be on so the amplification will work.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler, switch