Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
There is NO such thing as a digital antenna.........

With a modern TV (not an old analog box TV set) I can get OTA signals with a metal coat hanger.
The TV tuner is digital.......not the antenna

If you think there is no such thing as a digital antenna you are just not informed. Today's antennas are designed for the digital signals broadcast today. While they are not specifically "digital antennas" (by definition an antenna is just a piece of wire or a metal coat hanger) they are designed for today's signals and many come with built in amplifiers, they are significantly better than a 13 year old crank up "batwing".
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TV switch

Out for the week.
There is no switch that looks like the photo that was posted by Joe.
I pulled the selector switch out so I could see all the back connections and there is 12 volts at the switch and the red light come on when powered up.
I'm at a campground now that has cable provided and both tv's work great.
Still no reception with the antenna.
I need to check connections at the antenna.
Thanks for all the input.
This is a Great site for information.
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Most if not all, OTA antennas in RV's have an amplifier, be sure yours is turned on an operational.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
If you think there is no such thing as a digital antenna you are just not informed. Today's antennas are designed for the digital signals broadcast today. While they are not specifically "digital antennas" (by definition an antenna is just a piece of wire or a metal coat hanger) they are designed for today's signals and many come with built in amplifiers, they are significantly better than a 13 year old crank up "batwing".
Not to belabor this point but I would hate for anyone reading this thread to be misled. To be sure, there is absolutely no difference between a digital and an analog antenna. All TV signals are broadcast in the 50-800mHz range and the antenna doesn't care if the encoding is analog or digital. Only the manufacturers imply that there is a difference so you will be inclined to replace your antenna. Which is not to say that newer design antennas may be better than older designs but they are not doing anything that optimizes them for digital signals. Do a Google search and read the engineer's (not the manufacturer's) posts and you will be informed.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:05 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Checking the antenna on the roof is a good idea. A lot of bad things happen up there.

Your coach has the "booster" somewhere, it is not necessarily in the same cabinet as the other connections. My first coach had it mounted in a different place, I had no idea what it was, had to inquire here to get educated.

BTW nice 41, I was in a conversation recently about whether or not the body changed in 41 with the car, now I know.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie300s View Post
Not to belabor this point but I would hate for anyone reading this thread to be misled. To be sure, there is absolutely no difference between a digital and an analog antenna. All TV signals are broadcast in the 50-800mHz range and the antenna doesn't care if the encoding is analog or digital. Only the manufacturers imply that there is a difference so you will be inclined to replace your antenna. Which is not to say that newer design antennas may be better than older designs but they are not doing anything that optimizes them for digital signals. Do a Google search and read the engineer's (not the manufacturer's) posts and you will be informed.

Willie, you will notice that the OP has a 2003 coach. During the ensuing 13 years there have been changes in the antennas for RV's. A more recently designed antenna will help his reception. If you think that is not true look at the difference between the Weingard batwing and today's antennas, Weingard or otherwise.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Willie, you will notice that the OP has a 2003 coach. During the ensuing 13 years there have been changes in the antennas for RV's. A more recently designed antenna will help his reception. If you think that is not true look at the difference between the Weingard batwing and today's antennas, Weingard or otherwise.
Dave, I agree with you on that point. You will notice that I said "Which is not to say that newer design antennas may be better than older designs but they are not doing anything that optimizes them for digital signals." Our 2005 Endeavor has the original batwing antenna and it works great with digital signals, much better than it did with analog signals. I just want everyone to know that the notion that you need to upgrade to a digital antenna is totally untrue. There is no such thing as a digital antenna except in the minds of the manufacturer's as correctly stated by another poster.
Also, just looking at an antenna tells you nothing about it's performance. Performance has to be measured electronically. Most of the differences between old and new antennas are cosmetic only, designed to attract new customers but do not add to the performance.
Have a great day.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Selector switch

Hi willie.
My antenna is amplified and it is powered up by the selector switch and not the small wall switch.
This is stated in the owners manual I found in a cabinet over the weekend.
I was at a camp ground this week,hooked to cable and I received 68 channels.
Talk to a guy next to me with the same antenna as mine and gets good reception when using the antenna. He also states that he has 12 volts at the antenna.
Some say this is true some say not. I do not.
I go through the set up and channel search and still can not get a darn thing.
Some say I need to up grade the wing and you say yours works.

What Iam I doing wrong?
Old 06-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
41pu
You must have a disconnect somewhere in the coax cable that runs from the antenna to the switch box and then to the TV. As difficult as it is to get behind the switch box to do this that is the only way. When we purchased our 2005 Endeavor 3 years ago I pulled out the switch box, receiver and DVR, disconnected all wiring, identified all wiring and reconnected everything because nothing seemed to work correctly. Also, our switch box also contains an antenna amplifier that helps greatly to pick up weak signals. The only 12 volts to the antenna is for the alarm switch that lets you know the antenna is up if you try to drive away. I'm sure if you check out the wiring and perhaps clean the connections you will get a good signal with the original antenna.
Good luck.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Many manufacturers use splitters in their coax runs rather than a signal distribution box. While there is nothing inherently wrong with a splitter, it adds additional mechanical connections that could come loose from vibrations and it does add a slight signal loss, usually around 2-3 db's. Many of these splitters were simply placed in the RV in a position that was convenient for the manufacturer, so you will have to look for them. Typically they are a small (3 - 4") silver object with multiple coax cables on one side and 1 cable on the other.

One other thing you probably are already doing, but need to check. In 2003 the TV's were not as complex as they are today. Look at the rear of the tv to determine how the OTA signal is being delivered. It probably is via coax to the coax input on the tv, however if you have a satellite receiver (for example DirecTV or Dish) it could be going there and now the selection process if via your sat receiver, not the TV. This could also apply to a VCR/DVD player.

In order to accurately troubleshoot your issue we really need to see how your coach is configured (previous owner(s) may have modified it from when it was manufactured). Since these things are complex we are really guessing and throwing out ideas that may or may not apply in your case. Keep asking questions and we will help narrow it down. Pictures will help.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will take some photos of the selector switch and cables and try and post them. I've tried to post photos before with no luck.
Thanks to all for all the response.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Selector switch.

Ive been trying for 2 hours to post photos from a IPad.
I went to manage attachments and uploaded two photos but can't figure how to put them in this blog.
Sorry.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
TV selectors switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41pu View Post
Ive been trying for 2 hours to post photos from a IPad.

I went to manage attachments and uploaded two photos but can't figure how to put them in this blog.

Sorry.

Have you tried the IRV2 iPad app?
Very easy to add photos with the app.

Steve
Old 06-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do the photos go to the main site as well.

Tags
holiday rambler, switch