Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Looking at Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36SBT

Hi all.
my wife and I are newbies to this. We are looking at a Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36SBT. We have been looking around the different web sites and various RV shows. Thought we haad settled on a Coach from Thor the Miramar
34.2. Had some issues with the full wall slide. Talked to the Thior Rep at the RV Show in Pomona, Ca. change looked good. In the trip we took over christmas the wife found the Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36SBT. Wow fits us perfectly. need and info from those who own one or a different version of Holiday Rambler. have done some internet searches, but not alot of info, both from the manufactor or others. Would love some feed back. Thanks SwimRef
swimref is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
2 questions: 1) Is this a brand new rig? 2) Is this it on a gasoline powered chassis?

If the answers to the above are yes, then the rig should be fine. If it is one of the few Vacationers built by Navistar, I'd really think twice before buying. Navistar never really understood the RV industry and how to build a coach.

If it is a mid to late 2000 era Diesel pusher built by the old Monaco Corporation, do not buy it. The coach body was fine but the leaf spring RSR Roadmaster chassis is probably one of the most ill handling coaches ever built. I know, I own a 2006.

Bruce LaHargoue
2006 HR Vacationer 34PDD/Cummins ISB
Clovis, CA
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
After three diesel coaches, we bought a 2015 HR Vacationer 36DBT floor plan. It is about 15" longer than the SBT and has a longer wheelbase. Our experience has been good with the coach. It drives well, handles grades with no problem and has almost all of the amenities. The engine is a lot louder when it downshifts and starts turning 5000 RPM, but that's normal. Over the first 600 miles, it has averaged 6.7 mpg, which isn't bad.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahargoue View Post
If the answers to the above are yes, then the rig should be fine. If it is one of the few Vacationers built by Navistar, I'd really think twice before buying. Navistar never really understood the RV industry and how to build a coach.

Bruce LaHargoue
2006 HR Vacationer 34PDD/Cummins ISB
Clovis, CA
Not sure I can totally agree with that statement
There are a lot of owners of the Navistar coaches who are really happy with there coaches and the build quality.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Hey

My wife and I just picked up our new 2015 36 sbt a few weeks ago. Like you, we looked at many different models but found this one the best. There are only the two of us so we found the larger living room area, single washroom and lack of sofa-beds gave us more space for US.

We had a Blue Ox TruCenter steering control installed as well as the TigerTrak TrakBar at the rear. It made a great improvement in the steering and handling.

Drop me a PM if you need more info.
Cheers
Scotty
Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 AM   #6

Looking at Holiday Rambler Vactioner 36SBT

We are planning to buy the coach new. Love the floor plan. the key to the time to buy will be fall 2015 at one of the shows. Most likely we will be buying what the dealer has in stock at the show, but may be ordering one at the show price.
Are there any Pro's or Con's on a residential Refer with ice maker or a Propane Refer with ice maker. I am a newbie to this type of equipment. Unit has inverter for the domestic power to the TV's and 110 appliances.
Just asking for input.
swimref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm pretty sure they do not offer a residential refrigerator in the Vacationer. The optional refrigerator is a 4 door that uses electric or propane power. The optional refrigerator has more space, but eliminates the narrow pantry.

Tags
cat, holiday rambler