Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Newbie with HR electrical issue

We have a1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. We brought it in to an RV dealer in buffalo to have a few items checked and repaired. It was brought in with questionable house batteries but the house lights worked but the engine was running at the time.

Does the alternator feed power to the converter to supply house lights.

I got it back in a mess, they tell me that the house batteries are shot (I agree) but they also claim that my converter is also shot which it is now, and we have lost all house lights, 12 volt acc. and even my generator doesn't even turn over which was fine when it went in. They said that my gas igniter in the fridge was not working and replaced it but now say that that the lower board is shot.

Sounds to me like they messed up big time, that's why I need to know if the alternator feeds power to house lights via the converter and that will answer many questions, this is assuming there are no house batteries or no power from them.

Not to mention the fact that they lost all my keys and had an accident with the RV damaging a basement door and replaced it without ever saying a word to me. A little bird told me in an anonymous email along with a picture of the damages.

Any help will be appreciated.
Sunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

Lots of issues, but I would suggest my alternator does nothing but charge my chasse battery
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunadan View Post
Does the alternator feed power to the converter to supply house lights.
Sounds to me like they messed up big time, that's why I need to know if the alternator feeds power to house lights via the converter and that will answer many questions, this is assuming there are no house batteries or no power from them.
Any help will be appreciated.
Sunadan
The engine alternator should feed, (aka: charge), both the chassis/engine battery and the house/RV batteries via the battery isolator, (not the converter).
A "converter" converts 120VAC to 12VDC when you have 120VAC shore or generator power... (it does nothing when you have no 120VAC power).
If you have a converter/charger it will charge the house batteries but on many coaches it DOES NOT charge the chassis battery.

BTW, if your house batteries are BAD anything that needs 12VDC will not work, (like your RV fridge, interior lights, LP water heater, your generator starter, etc.), even if your converter is good.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Mel Sir,

Thank You very much you answered my question.
Sunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2000 Holiday Rambler Vacationer an my alternator only charges my chassis battery an not my house batteries. My house batteries only charge when my generator is running or plugged into shore power.
hrvacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #6

We have had a Coachman class c, a Thor class A gasser, and our current FW Diesel Pusher. On each the House and Chassis batteries were charged when the engine was running.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, holiday rambler, newbie