Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #225

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TinCanTee, may I ask why you're going to Hankook rather than Michelin? I need to replace tires too. My rig also has Michelin (12 yrs old) and I was planning on going with them again, but then I saw that Goodyear has some 12 ply tires available in the size that my Endeavor runs, so was thinking of switching to those for added safety margin on weight rating.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #226

I'd put Hankooks on a dump truck or other short haul commercial vehicle but not an RV. I know its hard not to be motivated by price point (lower price) but you'll as others with class As have found they don't last any longer and the ride is much worse.

We replaced all of our Goodyears with Michelins and are very satisfied with the immediate results. Getting ready to start another long journey which should put between 10-20K miles on them over the next 12 months. Tires, Tired Or Otherwise :: USA RV Nomads
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #227

RE: Hankook tires. Like everything, you will find differing opinions on tires and everything else you can put on a MH. I've read lots of good reviews on this and other forum sites about Hankook (and of course, bad reviews, too). The good surpass the bad and the price of Hankook v. Michelin is about $200 each on the quotes I got (when I could find a Michelin). For me, tires will age out before they wear out as we tend to take short trips more often than long trips. I presently have 7 year old Hankook drive tires and have no problem with handling or ride. The 4 rears are 10 year old Michelin's...again, no issue with handling or ride. I can't justify the price difference when I'm satisfied with the Hankook drive tires. Everyone must make their own determination. Safe travels.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #228

I have a 2000 HR Endeavor with a 330hp cat. It does everything I want it to do.
IndianaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #229

Mid Atlantic Campers
Air Conditioner Support

HiAll
I have an 04 HR Vacationer and after running my AC for an hour, I am noticing condensation on the inside cover and is this something to be concerned with?
Thanks
Mike
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #230

Probably should check and clean the filter cloth(plastic) on the face of the overhead unit. The filter is washable and reusable. by the way WELCOME and go RVing on a whem. You can go to a local campground and hide. Especially with a cell phone.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJoe View Post
I have a 2000 HR Endeavor with a 330hp cat. It does everything I want it to do.
Ours has the 330 Cummings and it does just fine. In fact, today we went from Louisville to just inside VA along I-64 with no lack of power or problems at all.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #232

Monaco Owners Club
2003 Endeavor

We've got an 03 Endeavor 38ft. that we bought new. We love the coach - have put a set of tires on (ugh) and just replaced the alternator with a Delco. Had trouble with the Leece Neville (twice) and just upgraded last week. What an improvement! I did have to call and double check the wiring diagram - on the Roadmaster chassis and Delco alternator, you DO NOT hook up the ignition wire. The alternator will charge but I got a warning light and the engine would not shut off. Now that the wire is taped up and tied out of the way, the charging system works like it should. Currently on a weeks vacation on the way to Canada.
rsholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 AM   #233

Mid Atlantic Campers
There are no filters on this just a plastic vent?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #234

Mid Atlantic Campers
Let me re-phrase, There are no filters on this just a plastic vent that is rippeted on?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #235

We have a 1988 HR Imperial 34 as of today. It has been beautifully restored and cared for by the previous owners. Looking forward to making new memories!
HR88Imp2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #236

A word of caution to you who own any Monaco/HR with a Roadmaster (RR4R/R4R) chassis built between 2000-2004. Although our HR wasn't part of the recall for the known issue of the rear axle trailing arms, we're sitting here waiting on replacements and installation before we can continue our travels.

Two weeks at a nice but expensive campground combined with the cost of the parts and repair make this a major and unexpected expense. Hopefully the parts will arrive by mid week and we can get back on the road by the coming weekend.

Admittedly, HR said that the (original owners of Monaco) under engineered these trailing arms. We have not been abusive, nor overloaded but one has cracked and is causing significant sagging which is very dangerous. Should it fail completely it can cause extensive damage and an serious accident if moving.

Get under your rig and inspect the trailing arms carefully. Use a wire brush to remove any corrosion to look for small cracks or welds that have separated. If you're not certain you can do it, find someone who can.

Our first indication that something was wrong was an unusual "road noise" and vibration from the rear of the rig as we drove. At first it wasn't continuous but in a short period of time it became so. A stop at a rest area showed that the rear corner was sagging and the ride leveling system having a hard time maintaining proper ride level. At first we thought it was a valve or the airbag, but it turned out to be worse.

If you have to replace one, you'll have to replace both sides because the newer ones are beefier and required replacement in pairs to maintain proper drivetrain geometry. These parts are not light either...400-500 pounds for the pair. Which means if you're near your max weight, you'll have to review that too.

This isn't a cheap repair...by the time we are done, inclusively we'll be just under $5K that is if no other problems are discovered.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #237

My Holiday Rambler was not in the recall numbers either. Ran off the road into the median and did damage to undercarriage. Nothing serious mainly bolt on parts. Also broke rear axle trailing arm. Thank goodness repairs were covered by insurance. New trailing arm repair was around $5,000. Coach never drove so well. Glad unit was so well built that trailing arms was only mfg problem. how about the replacement cost for a Holiday Rambler one piece windshield. Windshield itself less shipping and installation was over $1,800.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #238

New owner of 1995 Holiday Rambler Imperial. So far, so good!
RV_Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat diesel, freightliner, holiday rambler, monaco