Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Update: confirmed new Michelin tires 1616 date codes.
Chassis shop found and fixed an oil and air leak.
My inspector found a steering box leak they obviously didn't look for

Rust on the underside. Probably spent a lot of time back east.
AC belt and other belts need replaced.

May pay them to do water pump, thermostat and hoses - not showing issues (old hoses) but if they have to move the radiator then might as well do water pump. Anything else you can think of to do when radiator is out (if they pull it)?

Also paying them for a pressure gauge and/or new fuel lift pump.

Other minor stuff. One of the ac's isn't working so they are fixing that.

BIGGEST issue for future on this is the 4K towing limit. Has 5k hitch but only able to safely tow 4K. Anyone know what vehicles as a toad would meet this requirement and towable?

Al - what do you tow?

Thanks
Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #58

OH and it has magma shades and 2 6volt golf cart batteries. Also has 2 12volt chassis batteries. There is room for a couple of more GC batteries.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #59

That was back when HR was using solid wood to make fine furniture and cabinets. We had the 38ft gas HR. Well built, excellent coach. Enjoy.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #60

We had a nice 4x4 Dodge Dakota that I was originally planning on using, but at 5K I was a little skeptical. After a lot of homework, finally decided on an '03 CR-V.

I was looking for something automatic, and obviously light - but born and raised in the Detroit area, I had never owned or even driven anything that wasn't built by the big 3. Drove a couple of used CR-V's, and finally bought an AWD version (that needed a little TLC) on the cheap in case I didn't like it. Even at 6'2"/325lb it took 2 weeks to fall in love with the car. SO capable! The little extra ground clearance they come with makes it easy for this old man to climb in and roll out of it after a long run. Comfortable ride (easy for those all day day trips!), quiet, it handles great, the little 4cyl. always seems to be in the right rear, and it gets 24 mpg regularly, without even trying (70-75mph on Xway). After bringing it up to snuff (LOVE doing that kind of thing) it's been gas, oil changes, and tires only for the last 100K (that's showing on the clock, there's MANY more than that not showing while in toad duty). 200k total on the clock. Another nice thing about an older toad, you don't feel so bad about the fact the front is peppered with gravel damage!

Re: the rust, RV manf's are notoriously lazy when it comes to rust proofing while assembling, preferring to just shoot black spray paint on unprepped metal and move on to the next step. Point being rust is pretty normal, especially on a coach this age. What might turn me off is big areas of metal where the rust is actually flaking off in big chunks. That's an area that's going to need to be rebuilt or receive some serious TLC, cuz it's not going to be around long if you don't.

I'd make sure the rad. and CAC got a thorough external cleaning while out if you go that way, and make sure something has been done to extend the slobber tube (they'll know what you're talking about!) has been extended to the rear bumper. -Al
Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
We had a nice 4x4 Dodge Dakota that I was originally planning on using, but at 5K I was a little skeptical. After a lot of homework, finally decided on an '03 CR-V.

I was looking for something automatic, and obviously light - but born and raised in the Detroit area, I had never owned or even driven anything that wasn't built by the big 3. Drove a couple of used CR-V's, and finally bought an AWD version (that needed a little TLC) on the cheap in case I didn't like it. Even at 6'2"/325lb it took 2 weeks to fall in love with the car. SO capable! The little extra ground clearance they come with makes it easy for this old man to climb in and roll out of it after a long run. Comfortable ride (easy for those all day day trips!), quiet, it handles great, the little 4cyl. always seems to be in the right rear, and it gets 24 mpg regularly, without even trying (70-75mph on Xway). After bringing it up to snuff (LOVE doing that kind of thing) it's been gas, oil changes, and tires only for the last 100K (that's showing on the clock, there's MANY more than that not showing while in toad duty). 200k total on the clock. Another nice thing about an older toad, you don't feel so bad about the fact the front is peppered with gravel damage!

Re: the rust, RV manf's are notoriously lazy when it comes to rust proofing while assembling, preferring to just shoot black spray paint on unprepped metal and move on to the next step. Point being rust is pretty normal, especially on a coach this age. What might turn me off is big areas of metal where the rust is actually flaking off in big chunks. That's an area that's going to need to be rebuilt or receive some serious TLC, cuz it's not going to be around long if you don't.

I'd make sure the rad. and CAC got a thorough external cleaning while out if you go that way, and make sure something has been done to extend the slobber tube (they'll know what you're talking about!) has been extended to the rear bumper. -Al
Thanks Al. I am looking at the crv's heavily. I need AWD so that is a big plus!
Waiting to hear back from the dealer. It is a used rig so I don't expect them to do all this without charging me, hopefully reasonably though

I figured rust is rust. Didn't see any flakes coming off, but it's a gamble. If they help with all the issues I will be buying this rig and hitting the road next May my brother in law said buy it and come to Idaho to help him fix up his house. I said build me an enclosed and heated storage and I will be on my way. That ain't gonna happen
Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
That was back when HR was using solid wood to make fine furniture and cabinets. We had the 38ft gas HR. Well built, excellent coach. Enjoy.

Hank you. This is a 1998. My son was born in 1999. The rig has fewer dings and scratches
Old 10-28-2016, 09:46 PM   #63

updates:

Here is where I stand. this is a 1998 HR Endeavor. The chassis inspector found some minor issues. Transwest is going to fix those issues (all belts, hoses, water pump, steering box leak) they are also working on a couple of issues I asked them to fix for about 200$ with the slobber tube or blow by tube and the fuel pick up pump. They couldn't get the rear tv to mount so they put in a brand new tv on their dime. Rear AC wasn't working so they fixed that.

We were happy and went today to do the pre purchase walk through then go sign papers and buy the rig. As we were going through the inspection we started up the rig and the gauges all pegged and we couldn't dump the air bags. Turned off the motor and heard the starter still running trying to start the coach with key off.

Smelled electrical burning smell. Shut everything down with battery disconnects and called repair guys over.New starter, new solenoid, new tranny control module, new converter, new ECM going in. Waiting on final repairs now and will be going back up tomorrow.

So far they are treating me as if this is a brand new Motorhome. I am pretty impressed with their willingness to fix things - even though I would have walked away if they hadn't. So far they have been great to work with. I have heard horror stories about dealers - this one seems to be outstanding.

Jim
Old 10-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #64

Sounds like you've found a pretty outstanding dealer! I don't even know if my rear TV even works!

Best of luck as you continue on this adventure. -Al
Old 10-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
hi jim,

Found your post and thought I would just get on thread with you.

Call me anytime.

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #66

Thanks Tom. Did a good long drive today. Went well. No play in steering wheel I can find and didn't feel like I was being pushed around by wind or big rigs. I would need a few thousand miles on this one and then drive another with known good characteristics to know the difference though.

Tom - I really appreciate all your wisdom and advice. You have been a lifesaver! Rig is staying here for some repairs and they are storing it for a month for me for free! Looking for storage now for December thru may.

It has a full tank of gas. Any worries with storing it with about 3/4 tank over the winter?

Jim
Old 10-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #67

FWIW, our sits routinely for up to 6 months at a time like that (3/4 tank+, in Mi. and FL.) No additives, and no sign of trouble in the 5 years we've had it.

So you've gone ahead with the deal now? -Al
Old 10-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Thanks Tom. Did a good long drive today. Went well. No play in steering wheel I can find and didn't feel like I was being pushed around by wind or big rigs. I would need a few thousand miles on this one and then drive another with known good characteristics to know the difference though.

Tom - I really appreciate all your wisdom and advice. You have been a lifesaver! Rig is staying here for some repairs and they are storing it for a month for me for free! Looking for storage now for December thru may.

It has a full tank of gas. Any worries with storing it with about 3/4 tank over the winter?

Jim
On the fuel you have to check with up north guys. No problems here in FL but I use the MH in the winter down here. I use Power Service frequently.

Taking the old girl to Biloxi tomorrow. This will be the first test of the wheel seal I just replaced. Good luck Jim and remember you have a lighter MH than the big rigs and may feel the winds if you drive into Kansas. But it is a stable rig. Will have internet and cell for the trip if you have questions.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 10-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
toad

Oh I forgot Jim. The new CR-Vs are now longer towable 4 down so make sure you get a used one.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 10-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #70

Thanks Al - yep, we paid for it on Friday night after they documented the things they still need to fix. I appreciate your help on everything. You and Tom have been great!

I will be looking at older crv's or we also found the hyundail soul 2016 is very affordable, 3800lbs, and towable 4 down in the manual transmission model plus 100,000/10year power train warranty. It is apossibility.

BUT, woke up this morning and the driver side front jack had a puddle of hydraulic fluid in the pad and the ground and that corner was unlevel. Looks like a seal gave way. I will have to talk to them tomorrow and see what (if anything) they can or will do. Either way the jack won't go up so gotta do something. Any thoughts on how much it costs to do seals on these things? Ugh, knew I was getting off too easy! Also the low water drain shut off valve has a leak which I can fix easy enough with a new pex connection. May just redo the whole water pump bay with pex.

Oh well. Rig did great last night except for that. I had to toy with the coax cables to get my antenna to connect to the tv's. Will likely not go to satellite tv any time soon and get my news off internet (which is all I want tv for in the first place).

Jim

Tags
holiday rambler, led