Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #1

Rvs into Canada

I am asking if anyone has had any issues with insuring rvs that are not CSA approved. I know that you can get it inspected but that will cost. There are Rv companies that are CSA approved. But I wondering if you had any issues getting insurance on a non CSA approved
Thanks in advance
Peter B
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

Im no expert, but I dont think you can get it registered in Canada until it passes the tests. Certain things like daytime running lights etc are the law, and must be installed. My first Winnebago 37g was originally from California. It must have passed the test. I found this list on the web. The section for motorhomes is section 5. One thing i did notice at the beginning, is vehicles over 15 years old are not regulated by the federal govt. This doesnt mean it wouldnt still have to meet provincial regulations. Hope this helps. Cheers.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...fety/vafus.pdf
Old 12-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #3

I would think your first hurdle would be getting it imported into Canada. If it passes Customs inspection I suspect getting it registered and insured shouldn't be a problem but I'm no expert at it either. It would be better if you talked to your insurance company or agent and registrar directly.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #4

I have imported a Motorcycle Trailer from Michigan into Ontario and needed to get a $195.00 RVI certification in Canada before I could register and insure it.
Canadian Tire did the inspection.
I found all info online on a Canadian Government website.
I would imagine it would be the same for an RV.
There is also a company based in Ingersol, ON that will do the RV driving lights, speedo and odometer switch over to CSA for approx. $300.00, again, found them online.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure where you live and I can only speak for BC.
First go to the website for importing vehicles and look
up what unit you are talking about. From there you get
the info required to import and the cost.
Canadian Tire is the designated inspection station you will
have to take the unit to. They will pass it and give you the
documentation to be able to register and insure.
If the unit is over 20K lbs you will need to take it to a truck
service centre to have the daytime running lights setup.
I believe Canadian Tire will do this on smaller units.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I am asking if anyone has had any issues with insuring rvs that are not CSA approved. I know that you can get it inspected but that will cost. There are Rv companies that are CSA approved. But I wondering if you had any issues getting insurance on a non CSA approved
Thanks in advance
Peter B
There was a discussion either here or on another forum a couple months ago about a guy having no luck getting a non-CSA certified RV insured in Canada. I don't know what the outcome was. If I see the discussion again I'll link it.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Thanks in advance
Peter B
Imported an rv last year. Not sure about insurance but you cannot register the rv unless it has passed inspection. For me it was a real hassle even using a broker. I saved a few $ but to me it wasn’t worth it. I did the cdn tire thing and also had to present the rv at the dmv/registry for further inspection. Had to provide all kinds of paper to import that the broker needed( recall clearance letters, compliance letters etc).
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #8

I had a similar question last week - going the other way. I bought a 2001 Mercedes ML320 in 2002. Merc USA and Canada had a deal: 'No new car sales', so I bought a loaner that was 13mos. old. About $300 and perhaps an hour at the border 're-importing' , a Made in the USA vehicle, left me about $6k to the good. ...'just had a 10hr drive home and a cheap plane ticket to T.O.

I checked last week because roughly $30k would get me $40k+ equivalent. But, they finally found a barrier. The tire pressure monitoring system: CAN cars, made in AL, get a Euro system whereas US cars get a US system.

Yes, you can find a shop to make the changes, but MB will not certify it: window closed.

Good thing I still have the ML ...even kept the Click speedo, even tho' I bought an MPH one. (at the time the CDN version was better because they mandated DRLs and better kids safety)

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, rvs